Sh**ty Squatter

How do i get my squat numbers up? I am BRUATAL at squatting and i some times find I’m leaning over too much, not overly bad form just leaning over a bit much but i go ATG… I’ve only been doing 185 Lbs for 4 reps…

How old are you? How long you been lifting? How much do you weigh? Etc.

[quote]Josgood wrote:
How old are you? How long you been lifting? How much do you weigh? Etc.[/quote]

check previous treads of his, there are about 6 or 7 in the past 2 weeks.

[quote]Josgood wrote:
How old are you? How long you been lifting? How much do you weigh? Etc.[/quote]

17 years old, about 2 years, I’m 176 lbs 5 foot 11, 14% BF

Just one way to do it.:

Go back to the beginning, and spend some time with goblet squats. Use those to get a good squat pattern down by finding the most “natural” way your body wants to squat.

Then do the same thing with just the bar, and regroove that pattern. It should feel very similar to your goblet squat

Then add a little weight. Repeat. This is form/technique work, don’t worry too much about reps or sets. Stick with a weight long enough where it feels completely natural. Do some heavier. Just pay attention to how much work you feel you need.

Eventually, it will feel like the “right” way to lift when it gets heavier.

Also, don’t count any squats where your form deviates from that pattern. So if you’re trying something like 5x5, make sure that’s 5 reps of the right squat pattern before adding weight.

It might sound cliche, but my view on this is that “your body knows how it wants to squat”. The closer your heavy form is to what comes natural, the stronger you’ll be able to get while doing it.

Post a video of your squat at 185 from the side and back angle if you can. Mostly a form issue more than anything but could just be a weak upper back or a million any thing else.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Just one way to do it.:

Go back to the beginning, and spend some time with goblet squats. Use those to get a good squat pattern down by finding the most “natural” way your body wants to squat.

Then do the same thing with just the bar, and regroove that pattern. It should feel very similar to your goblet squat

Then add a little weight. Repeat. This is form/technique work, don’t worry too much about reps or sets. Stick with a weight long enough where it feels completely natural. Do some heavier. Just pay attention to how much work you feel you need.

Also, don’t count any squats where your form deviates from that pattern. So if you’re trying something like 5x5, make sure that’s 5 reps of the right squat pattern before adding weight.

It might sound cliche, but my view on this is that “your body knows how it wants to squat”. The closer your heavy form is to what comes natural, the stronger you’ll be able to get while doing it.[/quote]

Okay thanks but should i be leaning over a bit while i sink down

[quote]jake_richardson wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Just one way to do it.:

It might sound cliche, but my view on this is that “your body knows how it wants to squat”. The closer your heavy form is to what comes natural, the stronger you’ll be able to get while doing it.[/quote]

Okay thanks but should i be leaning over a bit while i sink down[/quote]

Did you not see my post or did you just ignore it. We can not help you with out seeing your style and you there are to many variables to really answer this question.

So You Think You Can Squat.

Do a search on Youtube for that.

If you’re low bar squatting, you’ll have a bit of a natural lean.

But you wrote in your OP that you lean over while you come out of the hole. That has nothing to do with the lean you have while low bar squatting.

Do what Lorez told you. Also do paused squats.

Also tape your bloody squats and post it here.

[quote]magick wrote:

If you’re low bar squatting, you’ll have a bit of a natural lean.

But you wrote in your OP that you lean over while you come out of the hole. That has nothing to do with the lean you have while low bar squatting.

Do what Lorez told you. Also do paused squats.

Also tape your bloody squats and post it here.[/quote]

I am high bar squatting ill post a vid tomorrow of my squats.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Post a video of your squat at 185 from the side and back angle if you can. Mostly a form issue more than anything but could just be a weak upper back or a million any thing else.[/quote]

video up tomorrow

[quote]Reed wrote:
Post a video of your squat at 185 from the side and back angle if you can. Mostly a form issue more than anything but could just be a weak upper back or a million any thing else.[/quote]

video up tomorrow[/quote]

If you didn’t know, Reed squats at least 585 and has videos uploaded here. Just so you realize where that advice is coming from.

squat for 5 more years, then come back

Why are you squatting ATG?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Why are you squatting ATG?[/quote]

From what I’ve been reading, it works more muscles, i won’t go as low in the videos ill be posting.

From what I’ve been reading, it works more muscles, i won’t go as low in the videos ill be posting.[/quote]

Based on your lack of progress while using this method, are you inclined to agree with what you’ve read about it working more muscles?

Or, alternatively, I would ask if your goal is to work more muscles or to squat more weight. If it is the former, do you need to increase your squat to accomplish your goal, or have you been adequately working the amount of muscles you need with this movement?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Just one way to do it.:

Okay, i just feel like when I’m squatting even body squats I’m leaning over a tad!

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Why are you squatting ATG?[/quote]

should my toes be pointing outward when I’m squatting?

Its been 2 tomorrows and still no video and you still dont have a solid answer… Do you see the correlation?