T Nation

SGHP Form Check Please

CT can you please check my form and let me know where I need to work on technique? I’ve been doing this before every workout for just over a week now… keeping it really light until I can do it on autopilot. Thank you.

[quote]mstorm wrote:
CT can you please check my form and let me know where I need to work on technique? I’ve been doing this before every workout for just over a week now… keeping it really light until I can do it on autopilot. Thank you.[/quote]

The pull is actually pretty good. The one thing I would work on is the lowering part… You are relying too much on knee flexion. You should bend your knees slightly from the start (before lowering the bar) but when you actually lower the bar the knee angle almost doesn’t change, you lower the bar with a hip hinge (pushing the hips back as you are leaning forward). You want to feel a hamstring stretch… imagine that pulling your hips back is like loading a bow.

Ok thanks for your help, I think I see what you mean w/ the knee bend, I’ll work on that and re-post after my next session practicing that if you don’t mind. The bow and arrow analogy is very helpful.

I really haven’t spent any time working on explosiveness with lower back dominant moves so I definitely feel weak in that regard. An old disc injury made me very averse to even deadlifts for years but I have been working on strengthening my weaknesses. Which is also why I want to get the mechanics right and not mess myself up again.

Hey CT are either of these clips any better? I practiced the hip hinge over and over but can’t tell if I’m getting anywhere. I think if I don’t try to lower the bar as far down, I don’t compensate with as much knee bend. Thank you.

Clip 2 from today. Sorry for the repeat posts, I’m having trouble posting the vids properly.

I’m not CT, but the first thing I noticed in your second posting is you are shifting your weight forward as you start your pull. Your lowering is improved, and you are in a good position, then shift your weight forward onto your toes. This leads to you driving more hips forward than up, causing the bar to drift further away from your body.

[quote]iclardy wrote:
I’m not CT, but the first thing I noticed in your second posting is you are shifting your weight forward as you start your pull. Your lowering is improved, and you are in a good position, then shift your weight forward onto your toes. This leads to you driving more hips forward than up, causing the bar to drift further away from your body.[/quote]

You’re right and it was really bugging me the whole time… While trying to hinge I kept feeling the weight pull me forward. Clearly it’s a motor skill I need to develop. Thanks for the assessment.

[quote]mstorm wrote:
You’re right and it was really bugging me the whole time… While trying to hinge I kept feeling the weight pull me forward. Clearly it’s a motor skill I need to develop. Thanks for the assessment.[/quote]

Of course. We’re all on here to learn to help each other out, or at least I hope we are. One of the cues I use with my athletes is to treat your second pull like a vertical jump. You dip, then explode upward. Even though the hips will come forward, the intent to move upwards will help prevent your knees from drifting forward while also keeping the bar closer to the body.

Today I tried focusing on the upward portion rather than the hinge portion as much. It felt much better but as the video shows I am still bending the knees a lot. Not sure if I’m on the right track or not.

That looked much better. Try pausing at the bottom, then accelerating up, see if that fixes the knee drift.

[quote]mstorm wrote:
Today I tried focusing on the upward portion rather than the hinge portion as much. It felt much better but as the video shows I am still bending the knees a lot. Not sure if I’m on the right track or not.[/quote]

Did these again today focusing on the vertical pull. I slowly ramped up since it was feeling much more natural and explosive. The video I posted yesterday is prob gonna be the way I perform the SGHP unless CT suggests tweaking something. Thanks.

Yes, a lot better. I’d like to have the bar a tad closer to you at the top of the pull, but that is a very small detail since your pull looks pretty good and good enough to be used as a training movement.

Sweet! Actually I noticed the bar was a little further away in yesterday’s video and paid special attention to that while practicing it again today. But I am glad to hear it’s solid enough to start some real work on it soon. I’ll prob finish my daily technique work the rest of this week and then make it it’s own main day ramp and density. Thanks for the help Guys, appreciate it!

Oh yeah I meant to also ask if you recommend any particular exercises to do before the SGHP to help activate and feel the right muscles when doing the SGHP?

[quote]mstorm wrote:
Oh yeah I meant to also ask if you recommend any particular exercises to do before the SGHP to help activate and feel the right muscles when doing the SGHP? [/quote]

Few movements activate the nervous system like SGHP, so there is no need to use an activation exercise. In the past I’ve done shrugs before high pulls… worked well to build my traps even more, but it affected my SGHP performance, decreasing it by about 10%, so it might lose some overall effect.

[quote]mstorm wrote:
Oh yeah I meant to also ask if you recommend any particular exercises to do before the SGHP to help activate and feel the right muscles when doing the SGHP? [/quote]

Furthermore, the high pull is not really an exercise where you “feel” the muscles… too many muscles are involved and the movement is too explosive to get the same concentrated loading than a curl (for example).

I like ramping a power snatch first and then switching to the SGHP (I do Panda pulls) - my form is always better when I do it this way.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Furthermore, the high pull is not really an exercise where you “feel” the muscles… too many muscles are involved and the movement is too explosive to get the same concentrated loading than a curl (for example). [/quote]

Oh ok thanks, makes sense. I was thinking some light band face pulls or pullaparts just to get some blood moving in the upper back rather than a true activation lift per se. But I have seen what you mean about the SGHP being a great activation lift… I think it’ll stay in as an activation tool on deadlift day for a while.

Another little technique question: should I try to keep my shoulders somewhat internally rotated? Mine naturally want to externally rotate a bit (like they want to go back to neutral I guess) even when just holding the bar before initiating the lift, so I try to internally rotate slightly and think it feels more natural in the upward pull and also helps with grip.

[quote]SirValeq wrote:
I like ramping a power snatch first and then switching to the SGHP (I do Panda pulls) - my form is always better when I do it this way.[/quote]

Makes sense but I don’t have the overhead clearance in my basement and have minimal practice with the snatch movement except 1-arm DB snatches which have been good activation tools in the past.