Sexist PC on Campus?

[quote]redswingline wrote:
That’s the exact point vroom

What the left defines as racist and sexist is oftentimes what the right views as the truth. -(spare me any blather about what’s right, left, liberal and conservative).[/quote]

Spare YOU?

[quote]
ex: harvard porez getting vilified by the left for mulling over genetic difference in the way men/women think universities now tend to be places of indocrtination, and not free thought and speech, etc.[/quote]

I remember this. How did “the left” get blamed for this and not “a bunch of women who get pissed if you ever imply that they might not be just as bad or good as a man at anything”? I thought the whole issue was stupid and the professor was proved correct. How did this get turned into a “right” or “left” issue?

[quote]
ex: Tufts University, which threatened to shut down a conservative student paper because female students the paper satirized charged the paper with sexual harassmenColumbia professor Nicholas De Geneva’s wish for “a million Mogadishus” or University of New Mexico professor Richard Berthold’s praise of the September 11 murderers: “Anyone who can blow up the Pentagon gets my vote.”[/quote]

As far as the newpaper story, were the girl’s right? Were they harassed? I never heard of the story, but it seems odd that you would take the side of the newspaper simply because it is “conservative”. What was the outcome of this? What are the facts?

As far as some retarded professors making comments like you just mentioned, I don’t see how this minority of professors represents every university in America. Please show me how this effects students’ grades directly and how that one professor’s comments relate to an entire nation of education.

[quote]
ex: Take, for example, the list of classes from the University of California, Santa Barbara, for the academic year 2001-2. There are some 62 different courses listed under “Chicano Studies,” among them Introduction to Chicano Spanish; Methodology of the Oppressed; Barrio Popular Culture; Body, Culture, and Power; Chicana Feminism; History of the Chicano; History of the Chicano Movement; History of Chicano and Chicana Workers; Racism in American History; Chicano Political Organizing; Chicana Writers; De-colonizing Cyber-Cinema; and Dance of the Chicanos.[/quote]

Is this a bad thing? Honestly, let me know if I should get upset about this and why this is “liberal”.

What? How does anything you mentioned represent discrimination? Please, enlighten me.

I think PC is used as a whipping topic by both sides.

Again, using a bit of caution when you approach a sensitive topic is not a bad thing. I realize this can go overboard, but at the same time there do remain appropriate ways to discuss any viewpoint no matter what it is about.

Not being able to raise issues at all is a bad thing. Having to think before raising an issue… not all that worrisome, at least to me.

vroom, i think we’re in agreement on this one.

Prof X, you’re the prof, go do your own research.

vroom, i think we’re in agreement on this one.

Prof X, you’re the prof, go do your own research.[/quote]

Good one. Unfortunately, you happen to be the one claiming injustice to all “conservatives” yet when asked to back up every claim you made, you can’t. It would be one thing if you made a generalization, but you brought up specific instances. That means the burden is on you.

I’m claiming there is a liberal bias that exists on campuses in the US, highlighted by my articles from the post and from my own observations. This bias can and does affect freedom of thought and expression of ideas, and is generally referred to as PC.

Feel free to parse my comments and attempt to make esoteric references asking for further proof; as I could demand of you.

You’re not bringing much to the table in this thread, aside from peurile comments requesting more proof; as if you sit upon Mount Olympus in judgement of all.

ex: Tufts University, which threatened to shut down a conservative student paper because female students the paper satirized charged the paper with sexual harassmen[/quote]

When did that happen? I go to Tufts.

On the record, the V-day types are definitely liberal. The local conservatives threw a hissy fit when the V-day chalkings appeared around campus. Maybe they were kinda vulgar, I never paid attention.

[quote]veruvius wrote:
redswingline wrote:
ex: Tufts University, which threatened to shut down a conservative student paper because female students the paper satirized charged the paper with sexual harassmen

When did that happen? I go to Tufts.
[/quote]

He won’t answer. Now that two people have asked this question, you would think he would provide that information. That sure does sound fishy…no pun intended.

okay prof, last time i do any research for you…

issue was Oct 11, 2001
Hearing was November 27, 2001.
Again, my issue is this was an attempt to stifle free speech by liberals.

Now, lets see you cite facts in rebuttal please, at which point i’ll insert a few lame attempts at questioning the validity of the arguments.

We ain’t getting anything done here - you have your view, i have mine, I think you’re wrong, vice versa.

Thanks for coming out.

Redswingline:

Facts mean absolutely nothing to ProfX - especially if he’s disagreeing with you.

His next trick will be to ask you a question and then answer it for you.

I’ve been duking it out with him for the better part of a year, now - and I’ve seen him use true facts maybe 1-2 times, tops. He uses HIS version of fact. But sometimes that collides with reality, in which case he will take over your side of the debate for you.

Just FYI

So now it is a conservative value to want to see penis pops and plays about 25 year old men seducing 16 year old boys.

I’ll stick with vaginas, it just leaves so much better of a mental image.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
So now it is a conservative value to want to see penis pops and plays about 25 year old men seducing 16 year old boys.[/quote]

In a word: No.

I asked you WHAT HAPPENED. Why is this hard for you to answer? Why is this a fight to get this info if you already know it? I asked if the girls were harrassed and you have avoided answering that question. I don’t go to Tufts University and if you would show me the way to find this info that you apparently aleready have, I have no problem researching it. Until then, it is nothing but claims you are making. You brought it up. Why would you think it is strange that someone asks you more detail about it?

Testy1 wrote:
So now it is a conservative value to want to see penis pops and plays about 25 year old men seducing 16 year old boys.

Now there’s a strategy.

With leaps of logic like that, you could be on Barnum and Bailys debating team.

Here you go Prof - I didn’t pull a single article out for you - I gave you the link to the entire freakin Google Search - which took about 5 seconds.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Tufts+University+and+sexual+harassment+charges&btnG=Search

I didn’t go to Tufts either. Does that mena that the moon doesn’t exist? I mean you haven’t been there.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Here you go Prof - I didn’t pull a single article out for you - I gave you the link to the entire freakin Google Search - which took about 5 seconds.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Tufts+University+and+sexual+harassment+charges&btnG=Search

I didn’t go to Tufts either. Does that mena that the moon doesn’t exist? I mean you haven’t been there. [/quote]

Yes, I had put in sexual harrassment alone and that did not come up. Either way:

[quote]Last month, Iris Halpern, an undergraduate student, filed charges with the Dean of Students and the Office of Equal Opportunity, claiming that a cartoon and written remarks in the journal of opinion had made her into a “sex object.” Halpern, a vocal member of the Student Labor Action Movement (SLAM), was offended when the paper mentioned “Tight SLAM tank-tops”?a supposed reference to Halpern’s own clothing. The paper also published a cartoon of a female dressed in tight clothing with a SLAM logo on the front of her shirt.

If the charges had succeeded, the paper would have been stripped of funding, denied the use of the Tufts name, prohibited from meeting in any campus room that required a reservation, and barred from advertising or announcing any of its events or meetings. Days before the hearing, the paper’s editor-in-chief, Sam Dangremond, contacted FIRE and asked for advice and intervention. “I was unsure about what to do and felt helpless,” wrote Dangremond; “the loosely worded Tufts sexual harassment policy was used as a weapon against free speech.”

Hoping that Tufts would spare itself the embarrassment of fighting against the principles of freedom of speech and legal equality, FIRE wrote to the administration, reminding them of two prior free speech cases at Tufts where FIRE successfully intervened. Dangremond, a junior from Kingston, New Hampshire, said that the administration had given copies of FIRE’s letter to the hearing panel deciding the journal’s and editors’ fates: “They read it quite seriously. Copies were handed to each committee member as they entered a closed session prior to the hearing. This closed session lasted for over half an hour before the parties were allowed to enter.”

The hearing concluded after several hours with a short oral statement from the chair of the panel, Professor Peggy Cebe, stating that all charges against The Primary Source were unanimously dismissed, and that, although the Committee did not endorse the content of The Primary Source, they saw the need to protect free expression at Tufts. “I am eternally grateful for all of your help,” Dangremond wrote to FIRE after the hearing. “FIRE’s support gave me the resolve I needed to stand up and fight for the rights of every student at my university.”

[/quote]

I agree with this decision. I think it was trampling on the right to free speech…however, I do not understand how this is made into a “left” vs “right” situation like redswingline implied. This was ONE GIRL who got upset because she portrayed in a cartoon. How does the “LEFT” get blamed for her actions? Maybe she was conservative? Like redswing’s other arguments, he is taking single cases and implying “the left” is the cause of this. I don’t see how anyone can support that notion.

In fact, if this was such a problem with the university being liberal, like he claims all are, then why the final decision?