Sex Before Marriage a Sin

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Not only that, but they have another advantage over the 21st century BC Israelite[/quote]

Who said it had to be 21st century BC Israelite. Why wouldn’t a 33 A.D. Jew suffice?[/quote]

That would be better, certainly. Having been exposed to Greek science and philosophy since Alexander’s conquest of Palestine, Jews in 33 AD probably had a better idea of what was what than their pre-Babylonian exile ancestors.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Not only that, but they have another advantage over the 21st century BC Israelite[/quote]

Who said it had to be 21st century BC Israelite. Why wouldn’t a 33 A.D. Jew suffice?[/quote]

That would be better, certainly. Having been exposed to Greek science and philosophy since Alexander’s conquest of Palestine, Jews in 33 AD probably had a better idea of what was what than their pre-Babylonian exile ancestors.[/quote]

I tend to agree.

The most famous Jew of all time does not believe Genesis is a fable. Does his opinion mean anything?

In fact, this Jew’s razor was amazingly sharp, then and now, and down at the state fair in the Sharp Razor Championship it would resoundingly defeat yours, mine and the next one million razors with ease.

Savvy?[/quote]

Like I said. If I want to learn tactics, I’ll consult Xenophon. Medical science? I’ll read Hippocrates. If I’m feeling historically inclined, down comes the Thucydides, and if I want to ponder philosophy, well, then Socrates is my guy. I really don’t care what Socrates has to say about the circumpherence of the earth, nor am I really expecting to find anything enlightening if I consult Xenophon concerning the germ theory of disease.

If I want to know about the morality of universal love, and the value of meekness when dealing with a military occupation, and the idea of redemption of personal iniquity by proxy human sacrifice, then I will consult the teachings of the Jew named Yeshua ben Miriam ha-Notzri. If I want to know something about the universe and the natural world, forgive me if I incline toward other, more modern Jews with names like Carl Sagan, Steven Jay Gould and Albert Einstein.

we should start a Varq/Push debate thread. People can introduce topics and you guys can verbally grapple like oiled up greco wrestlers.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

…forgive me if I incline toward other, more modern Jews with names like Carl Sagan, Steven Jay Gould and Albert Einstein.[/quote]

The forgiving bizness is better handled by Yeshua ben Miriam ha-Notzri.

Putting your faith in modern Jews especially contemptuous ones like Sagan and Gould, while certainly your prerogative, might prove to be a rather unsettling decision sometime in your future. We’ll see.
[/quote]

Once again, I don’t see where a literal belief in the idea of a talking snake being responsible for the downfall of mankind has anything to do with my personal salvation. I don’t look to Sagan and Gould to forgive my sins, and I don’t look to Jesus for an explanation of red shift and natural selection.

Any more than you would probably consult a Presbyterian faith healer if you suspected you had bowel cancer. For that, I think that a very sharp modern Jew of our mutual acquaintance would probably be better equipped to deal with the issue.

[quote]theBeth wrote:
we should start a Varq/Push debate thread. People can introduce topics and you guys can verbally grapple like oiled up greco wrestlers. [/quote]

We already have a series of de facto threads like that. They can be found throughout the Politics and World Issues forum.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
we should start a Varq/Push debate thread. People can introduce topics and you guys can verbally grapple like oiled up greco wrestlers. [/quote]

We already have a series of de facto threads like that. They can be found throughout the Politics and World Issues forum.[/quote]

You could also trade phone # and be BFFs. :slight_smile:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

We already have a series of de facto threads like that. They can be found throughout the Politics and World Issues forum.[/quote]

You could also trade phone # and be BFFs. :)[/quote]

I’ve got his phone number and we already are. :slight_smile:

Although evidently he’s still pissed at me because we still haven’t had that long-awaited meetup. Which is entirely my fault.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

…I don’t look to Jesus for an explanation of red shift and natural selection… [/quote]

Non sequitur.

But nonetheless looking at His creation for an explanation of red shift and natural selection.

When you disregard His deity and relegate him to the role of “just a good man” and compartmentalize Him in the filing cabinet next to Gould, Sagan and Einstein you miss the proverbial boat.

And missing the boat can leave one hungry, stranded and hopeless on that desert island of Life and Death.
[/quote]

Sigh.

Keep on stuffin’ that straw man, Dorothy.

Just keeeep on a’stuffin’.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Although evidently he’s still pissed at me because we still haven’t had that long-awaited meetup. Which is entirely my fault. [/quote]

Not pissed. Sheesh.

In fact I’m a bit worried that if we meet I will be less inclined afterward to thrash you like I do with my quirt like I do online. And I kinda like thrashing you.

It happened with Doc Skeptix. He and I used to tussle a bit here and then we went and met and now we’re best buds and I can’t/don’t discipline him anymore.

I’m not sure I wanna lose that with you. [/quote]

My bullwhip is bigger than your quirt.

:slight_smile:

But point taken. It’s no fun arguing with Doc anymore. He’s just so damned kindly.

If sex before marriage is a sin it’s by far my favorite sin. I bet it happens tonight.

I may end up burning for eternity in a lake of fire because I really like having sex with girls. I’m actually ok with it still!

Push you have an obligation to convert Varq to Christianity now…GO PUSH GO, GO PUSH GO,
Kill that damn Moose in your backyard in Montana for inspiration!
Varq could get hit by a fuckin’ truck tomorrow then it will be too late!
GO PUSH GO, today is the day, not fuckin’ tomorrow, don’t procrastinate you Big Bad Montana Bear
killer you…what are you waiting for, And straighten out that damn Cowboy Hat Mister!!

And ‘‘H Factor’’ don’t worry about it so much, David in the Bible was a horny bastard, and King Solomon had
so many women he would have made Hugh Hefner blush…that’s NOT to say they didn’t have big trouble
and gives YOU some kind of’ license’ to Sin,
but I think Horny David, whom the Lord LOVED BTW, made it to Heaven, as did the writer of Proverbs.

Watch your life, and keep your penis in your pants as much as possible, and don’t whack off
so much! Keep it to minimum, we’ve ALL “Choked the Chicken”, (yes even Varq, thinkin’ about some
Alabaster skinned beauty with Almond eyes he met in Tunisia or something), just keep it your pants
as much as possible…Casanova…:slight_smile:
I love all of you, sometimes.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Push you have an obligation to convert Varq to Christianity now…GO PUSH GO, GO PUSH GO[/quote]

Been there, done that… I doubt if I still have the T-shirt, and I don’t think it would still fit even if I did.

Actually, this panel of the comic is more appropriate to this thread.