T Nation

Settling In on Modified Built for Bad Strength Circuits

Having been the worlds worst program hopper, which is apparently normal for my type 1a neurotype: I am honing in on something fun. Coach Thibs Built For Bad Strength Circuits have always been very intriguing to me. However , changing all those weights and doing 54321 reps has caused me to always discard it. Despite feeling like a beast when running it a few days. So i kinda tweaked things to fit my needs. I usually can only workout 4 days a week. Here it is:
I will actually alternate these two workouts and run 4 days a week
A1 Low handle Trap Bar Deads 5x3
A2 DB bench press 5x3
A3 High Pull 5x3
A4 push press 5x3
A5 Ring Chins 5x3

Workout 2
A1 Back squats 5x3 some days i may do zerchers
A2 Dips 5x3
A3 power clean 5x3
A4 push press 5x3
A5 Bent or pendley Rows depending on how lower back feels 5x3

These sets of 3 will probably be like Russian strength Skill or something like my 4-6 rep max.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I believe you’re a 2A and…is there a question here?
And you’re doing giant sets, not B4B.

1 Like

Test says im 1A or 1B . Coach Thibs thinks I’m more 1A based on test results. I do kinda identify with 2A a bit too though. And yes, just reread B4B Strength Circuits and yes its performed like giants sets. Only thing i changed was doing 5 sets of 3 after warm ups with same weight rather than 54321 rep scheme. Hit it yesterday and felt great. However, it took a lil longer than i liked and having Trap bar deads , Push presses and high pulls all in one workout definitely limited performance slightly. Feel great today and ready to hit it again! Hope to stick with it awhile. 6 weeks would be great if thats possible for me lol. No real questions , comments and critiques are appreciated though

Heres part of article below. It does look to me like all exercises are performed as giant sets . Basically 5 rounds. If i’m wrong please let me know
• Perform 1 set of each exercise per circuit.
• Rest 30 to 60 seconds between exercises.
• Change weights between circuits in 2 minutes.
• Add 5 lb to exercises each new week.

B4B is built around ascending weights and descending reps.
I have no problem with exercise selection.

Exactly, i just couldnt deal with all the weight changes in my home gym though. So i decided to do more straight sets after warm ups. After two days of this my lower back already feels a bit taxed. I’ll be 49 next month. May need to tweak program and do a few more lower back friendly exercises.

I kinda like this setup. My mind jumped right to switching up the reps for both workouts the second time around. Having a strength day and a hypertrophy day. 5x3, 3x6-8 could work?

Sounds good, i’m tweaking it now. maybe 2 days 5x3 and 2 days 3x6-8

Might be less boring and not always quite as heavy so your cns won’t get fried. I could be wrong but it’s worth trying and finding out if it works for you.

Have y’all looked at Built For Battle? Similar but lower intensity.

Ughhh, it’s just too many exercises! Loved it for a couple of days! Now just drained thinking about it. I think im definitely type 1A! Need to do just 2 or 3 exercises tops.

I think you need to set a tangible goal with a deadline, otherwise it’s all going to suck