Settle This...

Is the SQUAT an alternative to the DEADLIFT? Or is the DEADLIFT and alternative to the SQUAT? Should a program to increase lean mass include both or is one sufficient? If so which?

Most articles that address both exercises say that the squat hits the area same as the deadlift (glutes, abductors, hamstrings, quads). Pavel (the kettlebell guy) says that the deadlift is the “poor man’s squat” and more “functional.” He recommends focusing on the deadlift.

Let me add, too, that I’m not interested in competing or being a professional body builder. I’m not an “advanced lifter” or “athlete” . . . just a regular guy who works out and is confused as hell.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

They are not alternatives to each other. The loading is different, making different centers of gravity meaning your legs are used in slightly different ways. More muscle groups are used in the deadlift than a standard squat.

I think that any complete training program should include variations of the squat AND deadlift.

I do not believe one is better than another, although you can do max effort deadlifting without a spotter whereas squatting becomes dangerous.

[quote]JJJJ wrote:
Is the SQUAT an alternative to the DEADLIFT? Or is the DEADLIFT and alternative to the SQUAT? Should a program to increase lean mass include both or is one sufficient? If so which?

Most articles that address both exercises say that the squat hits the area same as the deadlift (glutes, abductors, hamstrings, quads). Pavel (the kettlebell guy) says that the deadlift is the “poor man’s squat” and more “functional.” He recommends focusing on the deadlift.

Let me add, too, that I’m not interested in competing or being a professional body builder. I’m not an “advanced lifter” or “athlete” . . . just a regular guy who works out and is confused as hell.

Any help appreciated. Thanks[/quote]

Providing you have no injury issues (knee, lower back,etc) you should utilize both of them. Neither is superior just different and both are tops on the list for most beneficial exercises you can do for all around everything (aesthetics, performance, strength, etc)

Deadlifts work more muscle groups at once than squats but both are among the BEST exercises you can do.

check out elitefts.com for the advanced info regarding the squad and deadlift, how to train them, etc. It’s really worth the time spent looking there

It’s a hip dominated movement against a quad dominated movement. Like the others above have said there is no definitive alternative to both movements. Its only recommended to deadlift more because usually a quad to hamstring ratio is imbalanced towards quads, and a way of bringing up usually inhibited glutes.