T Nation

Settle Down and Be Patient

This is pretty random I am sure, but you know what I find to be the hardest part of all of this?

Settling the fuck down and being patient.

Its hard for me to keep a balanced perspective. I want to go all out. But there is only so much you can ‘do’ then the rest of the day you need to forget about it and move on.

I need to learn balance. Not swinging my thoughts completely one way and then rebounding the other.

Any one else have this issue?

Patients grasshopper!

The hardest part of the iron game. Me, wanting to plan everything out, find it frustrating to have to wait 4-6 weeks to assess if something is working well or not. Putting in the work day in, and day out is what separates us from the rest of the sheep.

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
This is pretty random I am sure, but you know what I find to be the hardest part of all of this?

Settling the fuck down and being patient.

Its hard for me to keep a balanced perspective. I want to go all out. But there is only so much you can ‘do’ then the rest of the day you need to forget about it and move on.

I need to learn balance. Not swinging my thoughts completely one way and then rebounding the other.

Any one else have this issue?

Patients grasshopper![/quote]

What are you impatient about?

lol always everything.

When I was trying to put on muscle I was constantly checking the scale tweaking food, thinking it should be faster or better.

Now I am trying to lean out and its the same. “oh the scale isnt moving, I cant see a new change today, I should have somethings not right” blah blah blah…

That’s what makes it so appealing.

patience sucks.

fortune favors the brave.

head down, power through.

Lower the cafeine, up the veggies they are calming. Also deep breating 3 min. 3 times daily, eyes closed.

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
lol always everything.

When I was trying to put on muscle I was constantly checking the scale tweaking food, thinking it should be faster or better.

Now I am trying to lean out and its the same. “oh the scale isnt moving, I cant see a new change today, I should have somethings not right” blah blah blah…

[/quote]

This is a marathon not a sprint. I like to look at progress on a month to month basis. There are too many variables to always see day to day changes.

On a diet I try to focus on weekly weigh ins. Daily can make you paranoid and very hard on yourself when things don’t go as planned.

This is an activity you are supposed to enjoy and benefit from. Don’t make it something that rules your life. Get a hold of it, and you rule it, make it work for you and realize Rome wasn’t built in a day.

So yeah, patience. One day I hope you can look at yourself like I look at myself, and just realize that “you made it,” your years of hard work are paying off in big dividends and nothing is going to stop you from reaching your goals.

Hope on some t3 and var…

Instant success

Sometimes the hardest part is realizing that you’re already doing everything that you can at the moment. Big picture, or as I always tell people (especially the wife)… Perspective!

S

Yeah, it’s tough being patient. But you have to, gains take a long time. For example, it took me ten years of hard work to get my bench from 95 lbs to 115. Several more years to get 135. Years past that to 155. Just take a deep breath and keep going.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

One day I hope you can look at yourself like I look at myself, and just realize that “you made it,” your years of hard work are paying off in big dividends and nothing is going to stop you from reaching your goals.[/quote]

I lol’d. But then I thought, “Eh, I had a good bit of that in me when I was in undergrad.”

[quote]hb50p wrote:
Lower the cafeine, up the veggies they are calming. Also deep breating 3 min. 3 times daily, eyes closed.[/quote]

Are you and Bhappy related??

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Hope on some t3 and var…

Instant success

[/quote]

Nice.

Just cycle the gains/changes in your physique will be noticable, which it seems like is what OP wants.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Yeah, it’s tough being patient. But you have to, gains take a long time. For example, it took me ten years of hard work to get my bench from 95 lbs to 115. Several more years to get 135. Years past that to 155. Just take a deep breath and keep going.[/quote]

I am not trying to call you out or anything but it took you ten years to move your bench up from 95 to 115. How is that possible?

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Yeah, it’s tough being patient. But you have to, gains take a long time. For example, it took me ten years of hard work to get my bench from 95 lbs to 115. Several more years to get 135. Years past that to 155. Just take a deep breath and keep going.[/quote]

You’re a women…right?? Good god if you are not…

How long have you been training?

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Yeah, it’s tough being patient. But you have to, gains take a long time. For example, it took me ten years of hard work to get my bench from 95 lbs to 115. Several more years to get 135. Years past that to 155. Just take a deep breath and keep going.[/quote]

Word. Took me seven years to get my bench from110x3 to 175x1.

Still get frustrated when newbies walk into the gym and put up more than I can.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Yeah, it’s tough being patient. But you have to, gains take a long time. For example, it took me ten years of hard work to get my bench from 95 lbs to 115. Several more years to get 135. Years past that to 155. Just take a deep breath and keep going.[/quote]

I am not trying to call you out or anything but it took you ten years to move your bench up from 95 to 115. How is that possible?[/quote]

Don’t know what his reasons are but for me it was extremely long and skinny arms. Standing up straight my fingers go to my knees when I extend them. This makes deadlifting a breeze. But my bench has always struggled due to the ROM needed to touch the bar to my chest. My arms had an 11" diameter when I first started.