T Nation

Setting Up The Texas Method

Okay guys I think I am nearly done rippetoes program. Every lift has stalled, my squat stalled and for the first time since I started my deadlift stalled. I will continue rippetoe until my deadlift stalls for a second time. Once my deadlift stalls for the second time I plan to move onto the texas method for weekly increases.

I just have one question about the texas method. How do I setup the program? I’m supposed to choose exercises based on my goals and there are roughly nine or so basic compound lifts I can work on. One session of 45 minutes to an hour really only leaves room for about 4-5 exercises max.

Here are the compound lifts:

? Squat & Front Squat
? Deadlift
? Overhead Press & Push Press
? Bench Press
? Bent-Over Barbell Rows & Pendlay Rows
? Pull-ups, Chin-ups & Dips
? Power Cleans

On rippetoes program I would simply split all of these into work out A and B and switch setups every work out but on the texas method it appears you do the same lifts all week long going from 5x5 day 1, 3x3 day 2 and 1x1-2-3 for day 3.

How do you setup the texas method?

Day 1 is the heavy, stressing workout. 5x5 heavy. It provides the stimulus for the adaptation.

Day 2 is a back off, 3x3 or 2x5 at ~80% 5rm. You aren’t fully recovered from the first work out, but still get some work in.

Day 3 is PR day. 1/2/3 rm. It is the result of the adaptation of the week’s training.

Set it up however you want in terms of exercises, I would do power cleans first and probably focus on singles, double, and triples, without the Texas Method.

Then I would do my big movements, squat/deadlift and a press/weighted chinup/row with the above template. One lower body and one upper body.

Last would be a couple assistance exercises like maybe back extensions, curls, some ab work, bw pull ups/dips.

Check out Practical Program for Strength Training. You will actually learn something about how to set up a correctly periodized training regimen, rather than following some cookie cutter template that may not work for you. Experiment with the lifts, loads, and rest periods. This is the fun period where you get to play around and learn what works for you in terms of getting bigger and stronger.

Do you make two routine line-ups and alternate each week or do the same 4-6 exercises all week long for xx period of time?

The trainer that sells my whey protein recommends changing routines every 6 weeks. He has been training for 18 years so he may not know my history in lifting, perhaps this fast paced routine change is to soon for me?

Also, how long do you stay on a texas method before doing something else?

What is your bodyweight and what has your squat and deadlift stalled at? How long were you on Starting Strength and how many resets did you do? Are you eating enough?

Feel free to change your assistance exercises, but I would focus on your weaker lifts for the texas method. You can do a heavy push/pull upper w/ a lower, or just one upper/lower. Maybe try 4-6 week cycles before changing your main exercises.

Do whatever assistance work you feel needs to be done. It is really meant to address weak points.

I think Dan John said it, everything works, but nothing works forever, but I could be wrong, so you can switch over to a 5 day bodybuilding split to try and add some mass, bring up lagging body parts, try a conjugate periodization with some max effort/dynamic effort work ala west side for skinny bastards, or try a 3x10,5x5, etc program.

Switch it up when you stop making progress, or simply get bored of it.

I started at 155lbs 8 months ago. Two months ago, 6 months in the program, I reached 180 lbs and have been slowly making my way to 185 lbs.

My squat stalled in two different ways. First I weight up to 245 lbs but realized was I not using correct form. So I dropped it to 135 lbs and built my way back up doing 10 lbs increases every work out. If I were to stay on rippetoes my goal would be to hit 245 lbs by october 24th.

My deadlift stalled for the first time last friday at 275 lbs and I was actually weaker yesterday when I tried it at 275 lbs.

Everything else stalled a gazillion times, but they are increasing still.

I do have one question about split routines. Since I can only go three times a week, what would be the difference between a split routine and a full body routine for me? It seems to me every split routine uses one or two compound exercises anyways and a full body only has up to 4 and then some accessory work. What would be better for me at this stage of my bb career?

this would be a good resource regarding The Texas Method
stronglifts.com/the-texas-method-
strength-training-for-intermediate-lifters/

there were also some good forum threads on the topic, although I don’t remember if they were on bb.com or another site

[quote]thekrown wrote:
I do have one question about split routines. Since I can only go three times a week, what would be the difference between a split routine and a full body routine for me? It seems to me every split routine uses one or two compound exercises anyways and a full body only has up to 4 and then some accessory work. What would be better for me at this stage of my bb career?[/quote]

You are correct - split routines typically involve a compound lift with additional isolation movements.

I actually think alternating both would do you good. Since you have been doing full body for a while now, a change of scenery could be good for you.

Rippetoe answers a lot of questions about the Texas Method in this forum:
www.strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

…It might be worth checking out if you still have specific questions.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Rippetoe answers a lot of questions about the Texas Method in this forum:
www.strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

…It might be worth checking out if you still have specific questions. [/quote]

that’s the forum