T Nation

Setting Up a New Program

Once I finish cutting and get back to gaining again, I need to set up a new routine. These are all the exercises that I found work for me, and I’d like to find a way to work them all in… I feel deadlifts and squats are fine to be done only once a week, but for the rest I feel higher frequency is warranted. How would you guys set it up if you wanted to fit in all these movements?

Back: Deadlift, chins, rows, shrugs
Chest: Bench, incline bench, incline dumbbell press, machine press
Delts: Standing barbell press, seated dumbbell press, laterals, reverse fly
Quads: Squat, front squat, leg press, step up
Hams: Romanian deadlift, leg curls, glute-ham raise
Calves: Standing and seated calf raises
Biceps: Alt.db curl, incline db curl, pinwheel curl, reverse barbell curl, EZ bar curl
Triceps: CG Bench, dips, lying tri ext., seated tri ext.
Abs: Cable crunch, roman chair, decline crunch, ab wheel, side bends

How many days a week do you intend on training?

[quote]Headache wrote:
How many days a week do you intend on training?[/quote]

5 or 6

You’re not gonna work them all in.

I would pick a few primary lifts, and then rotate through the rest as assistance lifts, so that you did them all over the course of a month, but not in a week.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I would pick a few primary lifts, and then rotate through the rest as assistance lifts, so that you did them all over the course of a month, but not in a week. [/quote]

This is ideal in my opinion and it’s what i’ve found works well for me. Each session is 1-2 primary lifts, then a go-to assistance exercise, then one or two others that cycle through.

I like it lot because by the tme you’ve hammered three big exercises what you choose for your 4th and 5th are almost irrelevant as long as you hammer them. Makes things more fun because you can self regulate and feel a bit free.

These are good ideas, thanks people.

I thought about plugging most of these into a push/pull/legs twice a week thing, but the problem is always to program deadlifts and squats so as to avoid excessive low back fatigue.

I’d ask what the purpose is of some of those exercises. The most obvious example would be why you would want to fit so many curl variations in, but the same might also apply to doing both GHRs and leg curls.

The only way I could see you fitting all of it in would be to literally do one set of each. That said, Ecchastang’s suggestion would be much more productive IMO.

[quote]238 wrote:
I’d ask what the purpose is of some of those exercises. The most obvious example would be why you would want to fit so many curl variations in, but the same might also apply to doing both GHRs and leg curls.

The only way I could see you fitting all of it in would be to literally do one set of each. That said, Ecchastang’s suggestion would be much more productive IMO.[/quote]

Well, that’s the master list of exercises I like. I do realize it would be hard to fit it all into a one week cycle. I’d usually do 2-3 curl variations if I’m training biceps. I do usually get through squats, front squats, leg press, RDL, leg curls, calf raises and abs on a leg day if I’m only doing them once a week. Looking for new ideas though, maybe splitting things up more and using higher frequency…

This could work as a 5/3/1 for BB thing…

Bench + incline press, machine press, row 1, row 2
Squat + leg press or front squat, step ups or split squats, calves, abs
Arms
OFF
Deadlift + rack pulls or RDL , leg curls, abs
Military + seated db press, laterals, rear delts, chins
OFF

CHEST: (main lift) Bench or Incline Bench
Incline Dumbbell
Machine Press
Dips
Chins (higher reps)
Rows (higher reps)
Abs

LEGS: (main lift) Squat or Front Squat
Leg Press
Step Up
RDL
Leg Curls
GHR

REST

BACK: (main lift) Deadlift
Chins (weighted/lower reps)
rows (lower reps)
Shrugs
Abs

SHOULDERS: (main lift) Standing Barbell Press
Seated Dumbbell Press
Bench or Incline Press (higher reps)
Lateral Raise
Reverse Flys

ARMS: (all sets superset) Alt. DB curls/CG Bench Press
Incline DB curls/Lying Tricep Extensions
Pinwheel curls/Dips
EZ Bar Curls/Seated Tricep Extensions

REST

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
CHEST: (main lift) Bench or Incline Bench
Incline Dumbbell
Machine Press
Dips
Chins (higher reps)
Rows (higher reps)
Abs

LEGS: (main lift) Squat or Front Squat
Leg Press
Step Up
RDL
Leg Curls
GHR

REST

BACK: (main lift) Deadlift
Chins (weighted/lower reps)
rows (lower reps)
Shrugs
Abs

SHOULDERS: (main lift) Standing Barbell Press
Seated Dumbbell Press
Bench or Incline Press (higher reps)
Lateral Raise
Reverse Flys

ARMS: (all sets superset) Alt. DB curls/CG Bench Press
Incline DB curls/Lying Tricep Extensions
Pinwheel curls/Dips
EZ Bar Curls/Seated Tricep Extensions

REST

[/quote]

I like this one, especially since I need the extra work for bench. Thanks, brother

MON: 1) Squat, 2) Leg Press or front squat, 3) step up, 4) Standing calf raise 5) seated calf raise, 6) roman chair
TUE: 1) Standing barbell press, 2) Row, 3) seated dumbbell press, 4) Shrugs, 5) laterals, 6) reverse fly, 7) Cable Crunch
WED: 1) Alt.db curl, 2) lying tri ext., 3) incline db curl or pinwheel curl, 4) seated tri ext, 5) reverse barbell curl or EZ bar curl, 6) side bends
FRI: 1) Deadlift, 2) chins, 3) Romanian deadlift, 4) leg curls 5) glute-ham raise, 6) decline crunch
SAT: 1) Bench, 2) incline bench, 3) incline dumbbell press, 4) machine press, 5) CG Bench or Dips, 6) ab wheel