T Nation

Setting the Record Straight

After the Insurance industry spending a quarter of a billion dollars to lobbyist, P.R. firms and Republican slanted media, here are some simple answers

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/settingtherecord

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
After the Insurance industry spending a quarter of a billion dollars to lobbyist, P.R. firms and Republican slanted media, here are some simple answers

[/quote]

YAY! I just found out I was put up to things by crazy right wing networks Iâ??ve never heard of. I was so misinformed about my own motivations.

Funny, I don’t see anything on there to combat the lies about amputation compensation for surgeons.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. “Republican slanted media”. You’re killing me.

A Measure of Media Bias*

Tim Groseclose
Department of Political Science, University of California at Los Angeles

Jeffrey Milyo
Department of Economics and Truman school of Public Affairs, University of Missouri

PDF (396.708 KB) PDF Plus (214.626 KB)

We measure media bias by estimating ideological scores for several major media outlets. To compute this, we count the times that a particular media outlet cites various think tanks and policy groups, and then compare this with the times that members of Congress cite the same groups. Our results show a strong liberal bias: all of the news outlets we examine, except Fox News’ Special Report and the Washington Times, received scores to the left of the average member of Congress. Consistent with claims made by conservative critics, CBS Evening News and the New York Times received scores far to the left of center. The most centrist media outlets were PBS News Hour, CNN’s Newsnight, and ABC’s Good Morning America; among print outlets, USA Today was closest to the center. All of our findings refer strictly to news content; that is, we exclude editorials, letters, and the like.

Campaign contributions slant 100 to 1 for dems.

Also, much of the insurance industry is lobbying FOR the bill, because they want 50 million new government subsidized customers (especially since single-payer is fading fast).

I was also look for something on the lies about aarp endorsement. Nope, don’t see it.

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. “Republican slanted media”. You’re killing me.[/quote]

FAUX NEWS, Glenn Beck , Rush Limpdick , Hanitty

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

YAY! I just found out I was put up to things by crazy right wing networks I�¢??ve never heard of. I was so misinformed about my own motivations.

Funny, I don’t see anything on there to combat the lies about amputation compensation for surgeons.
[/quote]

The Insurance lobbiest is spending it’s money some where

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
.[/quote]

I did not know this , now I think they are obove average intelligence

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:

FAUX NEWS, Glenn Beck , Rush Limpdick , Hanitty[/quote]

So because fox news looks at all sides its Republican, so now being a Republican is being well informed will note that. Hell even in Hannity has Democrats on all the time.

And Glenn beck? Really? Maybe you shouldn’t talk about stuff you know nothing about.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

YAY! I just found out I was put up to things by crazy right wing networks I�?�¢??ve never heard of. I was so misinformed about my own motivations.

The Insurance lobbiest is spending it’s money some where [/quote]

You really are that dumb aren’t you?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:

The only thing this proves is that you do not know what news is.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
pittbulll wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:

FAUX NEWS, Glenn Beck , Rush Limpdick , Hanitty

The only thing this proves is that you do not know what news is.

[/quote]

Exactly. Beck, Ruch, Hannity are COMMENTATORS. Not news men. Those are OPINION shows, not news hours. And throw O’Reilly in there too if you have a mind to call him a news man.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:

That’s what, one station? LOL.

[/quote]
So because fox news looks at all sides its Republican, so now being a Republican is being well informed will note that. Hell even in Hannity has Democrats on all the time.

[/quote]

All time funniest quote ever. Fox looks at all sides… Please. Having a democrat on does not mean that you give “all sides” an even chance.

I don’t mind bias- everyone…EVERYONE… is biased in their own way. But, claiming that you are FAIR and BALANCED is a joke. I am sure that the bigwigs who came up with that slogan laughed their asses off as they knew that some poor fucks would actually believe it.

jnd

In the 2008 election cycle health insurance companies donated $1.425M to Barack Hussein Obama, they donated $575,746 to Hillary Clinton. They gave $427,228 to John McCain. All told, health insurance companies gave 73% of all their contributions to Democrats.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/select.php?ind=H03

I quit watching the news and I have never been happier. I will scan the headlines of various feeds and read something that looks interesting. But for the most part I really don’t care to hear about what any of the world governments did today or are planning to do tomorrow – nor do I want to hear the commentary and spin on all the things they did yesterday. I am sure it wasn’t something important or beneficial.

But in general I quit watching it because I believe the first step to obtain freedom is to unplug from the machine. Television is called the idiot box for a reason.

Pitbull, seriously man…wtf?!

[quote]jnd wrote:

I don’t mind bias- everyone…EVERYONE… is biased in their own way. But, claiming that you are FAIR and BALANCED is a joke. I am sure that the bigwigs who came up with that slogan laughed their asses off as they knew that some poor fucks would actually believe it.

jnd[/quote]

I don’t mind bias either, IF it’s not systemic and IF they will admit to it. You are probably right about Fox, but the bias in the media is a) systemic and b) all of those stations make believe they are unbiased. So all your criticisms about Fox are equally valid against the rest of the establishment, from the other side of the aisle.

Do you admit to that?

Further I would argue that one network slanting to the right is completely justified if the rest of the networks are slanting left. Note that I am talking about news coverage here, and I am not mistaking Olberman, Garafalo, Kouric, Hannity, Bill, Beck, or anyone else as any news coverage anchor. They are all commentators.

And no, I don’t watch Fox. I don’t watch TV news any more either, but if I turn on the channel I surf between all of them equally, including Fox.