T Nation

Sets Per Week..hjjjkkiik

is 3 sets okokokokokokokggh

Depends if the specific muscle on the specific person responds better to volume or frequency.

You didnt think this was a yes or no question, did you?

For me, 9 sets would be better; get as much blood flow as possible, maintain the pump longer. I feel that the increased volume increases lactic acid buildup

This,

Like for me I find every body part responds alright to once a week except for my chest.
But I like working everything out either twice a week or maybe something like chest/tri, back/bi,shoulders,legs,off,repeat. If that makes sense since workout days are never the same week day. And set wise depending on rep schemes they may vary anywhere between 12 and 20 for each muscle.

I've had better results with the 3 times a week approach. Maybe it's because you are fresher for more of your total sets. And you get to practice the lift a bit more.

The Uni of Alabama published an article in 2000 in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research that did something similiar.

One set 3 times a week, or 3 sets once a week. The group doing single sets, 3 times a week gained quite a bit more strength - 38% more on average. That group also raised LBM and dropping BF.

One study. One result. Untrained people. An example from from Chad Waterburys book.

Do what works for you.

3 sets 3 days a week for strength, probably 9 sets 1 day for bodybuilding