T Nation

Sets of 10 and Increased Hormones?

so i have heard that sets of 10 promotes higher anabolic hormone output, is that true?

In some studies, anabolic hormones have been shown to be produced in greater amounts due to higher-rep training with lighter weights, but the high-rep training actually stimulated muscle growth LESS than a lower-rep, heavier weight program.

Using a varied rep scheme seems to be the best way to cover all your bases. I personally start most of my exercises with 1-5 reps with heavier weights, then do the same exercise again with a few sets of 10+ reps as well.

The body is not a witch's cauldron where you can mix in a dash of wormtail and add a few repetitions and it suddenly changes how the whole thing functions.

Use your brain man. Do you REALLY think it makes sense that simply doing 10 reps changes your body's hormonal system? Really?

so it would be wise to train 3x10 at smaller secondary exercises like cable lateral raises?

It would be wise to get stronger at low (1-5), medium (6-12) AND high (13+) rep ranges.

ultralars, I agree with hungry4more. Training all the rep ranges would provide the best results for your body.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that I now train almost exclusively with just the "big three" lifts (squat, deadlift, bench) and also military press. My earlier training philosophies included many different exercises at different rep ranges. After doing that for a few months, I came to the conclusion that doing lots of different exercises at all different rep ranges was just too cumbersome for me to keep up with (e.g. charting progress from workout to workout) so I started just doing the big lifts each workout with different rep ranges throughout the same exercise. Not only has my progress improved, but I'm in and out of the gym in less than an hour and I feel a lot more "amped up" instead of being dead tired at the end of my workouts.

Point of all this is I would recommend that you train according to your goals, and don't let extra details get in the way.

yeah, i never stay in a constant rep range trough the week.

This is a bad idea.

Progress takes time.

Stick to things for weeks if not months.

I train in a moderate rep range for 8 months out of the year and a lower rep range 4 months out of the year. (this isnt referring to the different rep ranges that are typically used according to the muscle group (quads get more reps than hamstrings))

I've heard that this is why a periodised system is greater than non-periodised.
Hypertrophy>Strength>Power is the supposed best order so that would be like, 8-15 reps moderate weight>1-6 heavy>1-6 Fast, but as always it depends on your goals. The average weight lifter usually goes back and forth between hypertrophy and strength-based routines.