T Nation

+ Sets and Jokers Question

I have just started 5/3/1. I am on my 4th week. When I started I already was pretty dialed into my 3 rm except on my deadlift so I started with those numbers. On my + sets, for deadlift I can get 10 on the 5+ day no problem indicating that my starting 3 rm was probably a bit light (which is ok as per the philosophy of this program). But for my other lifts I am getting 6 or 7. Like wise for my other days I might only get 1 or 2 more than required for the + sets. There is no way I would be able to do a joker set at a 10% increase in weight for 5. I attribute this to my other lifts being just about on what my actual 3 rm is.

So, my question is: should I readjust my TM down so that I can hit more on the + sets (say 8 - 10 on the 5+ day) or just keep going until I can’t hit the required reps on the + reps set? Also, if after you do yor + set you know you cant hit a joker set with a 10% increase in weight for the required reps (say 5), do you just go straight into singles?

It sounds like you did a lot of heavy triples on your previous program, which means that your body is most likely more adapted to lower reps/higher intensity and you lack the endurance aspect to do as many reps as you should be able to do (which is at least 8-9 reps on the 5s week on the first cycle).

You will adapt to the higher reps, but for now just keep going with it until you are no longer able to hit the required reps, and when you reset, make sure you use a lower percentage of your ORM. As for jokers, if you can’t increase by 10% just increase by what you can, even if its only 5-10 lbs, and then go up in singles after if you want. I would strongly suggest doing FSL for AMRAP as well, since the higher reps will really help you with the endurance.

[quote]m4_wright wrote:
It sounds like you did a lot of heavy triples on your previous program, which means that your body is most likely more adapted to lower reps/higher intensity and you lack the endurance aspect to do as many reps as you should be able to do (which is at least 8-9 reps on the 5s week on the first cycle).

You will adapt to the higher reps, but for now just keep going with it until you are no longer able to hit the required reps, and when you reset, make sure you use a lower percentage of your ORM. As for jokers, if you can’t increase by 10% just increase by what you can, even if its only 5-10 lbs, and then go up in singles after if you want. I would strongly suggest doing FSL for AMRAP as well, since the higher reps will really help you with the endurance.[/quote]

Yes, I was just doing CT’s heavy singles going into this program so I have not done anything over 3 reps except in warm up sets for maybe 6 months. I have been doing the FSL but not for AMRAP, I will switch to that in my next 3 week block.

Thanks for the advice!

Jokers purposely aren’t meant to be done every time. I feel the same way with my 5+ days so I don’t usually do Jokers that week.