Sets Across Instead of AMRAP

AMRAP sets don’t agree with me. I push hard for a cycle or two and then I end up just selling myself short and stopping the + sets early. I find it much easier to push myself when I know that I have a required number of sets to do.

What are your thoughts on simply repeating the top set until I cant make the required reps?

For example:

5 x 235
5 x 270
5 x 310
5 x 310
5 x 310
3 x 310 - Call it a day and move on to assistance work

Dunno whats wrong with the formatting but you should get the idea.

What do you mean you “stop the + sets early”? These aren’t supposed to be to failure anyhow. How many reps over the required are you going?

Regarding pushing yourself, it might be an aspect of your training that needs work. “Goal setting” and “attitude” are two of Jim’s “10 Weak Point” areas that he frequently mentions. They are as important as the training itself.

In my opinion, you should never do your ‘+’ set without a goal in mind. Figure this out before you even start the workout so you know what you’re setting out to accomplish.

Sack up and do it as written or find another program.

This has all been explained and programmed in the Beyond book and the “Not Doing Jack Shit Lifer” program.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
This has all been explained and programmed in the Beyond book and the “Not Doing Jack Shit Lifer” program. [/quote]

I have the beyond book. Closest to this in the book that I can think of is Joker Sets, but those require doing the AMRAP set, no?
Was there a different variation like this in there that I missed?

Have you checked out the “advanced” in “Beyond?” No amrap at all.

[quote]Ozythemandias wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
This has all been explained and programmed in the Beyond book and the “Not Doing Jack Shit Lifer” program. [/quote]

I have the beyond book. Closest to this in the book that I can think of is Joker Sets, but those require doing the AMRAP set, no?
Was there a different variation like this in there that I missed?[/quote]
Spinal tap part 2, 5’s progression or Lifer’s from Jim’s own forum

Is this a bite? Sounds like your testicular fortitude should be questioned, not the training. It’s 1 set of max reps, that is usually lower than 10. Set a goal, and go after it like has been mentioned.

Don’t like posting things like this, but jesus.