T Nation

Set-Rep Scheme for Oly Lifts

Jim Wendler,
I read what you said in a previous thread regarding Olympic lifts in 5/3/1. Forgive me if I am mistaken, you recommended performing them BEFORE doing your 5/3/1 sets. I completely agree, I would rather not do them in a fatigued state.

My question is what set and rep scheme do you think would work best with the power versions of the Olympic lifts when applied to the 5/3/1 program? I have thought about doing 5/3/1 or 3x5 but I do not feel like sets of 5. I am thinking something like 5x3 or 5x2 would be good, but I would really appreciate hearing what you have to say about it.

Just to be clear, I want to continue doing the original lifts for 5/3/1, but add in power versions of oly lifts to the beginning of some of my sessions. Thank you very much.

Just the power snatch and power clean, no jerks.

why cant you do jerks? I do them for speed work in the place of med ball throws some days. I also like holding out the top of presses for abs

day 1 bench… i typically do some jerks and plyo push ups

day 2 squat… power cleans I will do sprints also when ankle heals for now i do light band deadlifts 8x1

day 3 press…i do med ball throws, sometimes speed bench using 30-50% just depends on how i feel

day 4 pulls: lighter power cleans before pulls, med ball slams

I think if you look at the full body power clean routine from the book you could alternate doing 531 for clean, 531 for pulls… with a lighter version of each following every friday…along with all your clean work during the week

You can use the 5/3/1 percentages for your cleans/snatches. If you don’t want to do 5 rep sets then just do 3 reps when 5 is prescribed

[quote]supermangs4 wrote:
Jim Wendler,
I read what you said in a previous thread regarding Olympic lifts in 5/3/1. Forgive me if I am mistaken, you recommended performing them BEFORE doing your 5/3/1 sets. I completely agree, I would rather not do them in a fatigued state.

My question is what set and rep scheme do you think would work best with the power versions of the Olympic lifts when applied to the 5/3/1 program? I have thought about doing 5/3/1 or 3x5 but I do not feel like sets of 5. I am thinking something like 5x3 or 5x2 would be good, but I would really appreciate hearing what you have to say about it.

Just to be clear, I want to continue doing the original lifts for 5/3/1, but add in power versions of oly lifts to the beginning of some of my sessions. Thank you very much. [/quote]

You can use the standard set/rep (that’s what I did and had my best PC), you can use 3’s PRO or use the different sets/percentages in the 5/3/1 and Oly Lifting article.