T Nation

Set Point and Fat Loss

Along with many others, I feel that you should maintain your weight after a bulk for a period of time before going on a cutting phase.

The reasoning behind this is that doing so will allow your body to adjust its set point and help maintain muscle mass during subsequent cutting phase.

What I wanted to know was if the same approach should be used after a cutting phase. In other words should your new lowered weight be kept for any period of time before going on a bulk? Will an immediate transition to a bulk favor a regain in initial fat lost?

Thoughts appreciated.

[quote]YourXLNS wrote:
Along with many others, I feel that you should maintain your weight after a bulk for a period of time before going on a cutting phase.

The reasoning behind this is that doing so will allow your body to adjust its set point and help maintain muscle mass during subsequent cutting phase.

What I wanted to know was if the same approach should be used after a cutting phase. In other words should your new lowered weight be kept for any period of time before going on a bulk? Will an immediate transition to a bulk favor a regain in initial fat lost?

Thoughts appreciated.[/quote]

That would depend on your level of training. If you are thinking in terms of blanket advice that applies to all people, you need to quit thinking that way. Obviously, some skinny guy who was probably cutting down when they needed to be gaining in the first place wouldn’t need to maintain a lower weight.

Likewise, some huge bodybuilder who was 280lbs at 20% body fat but dieted down to 250lbs and now wants to maintain a leaner physique from that point on, holding at that lower weight for a while would make sense. Otherwise, he will likely regain more body fat if he returns to his old eating habits.

From past experience, I know that there is a problem with reading comprehension on this site when it comes to things like this…and some skinny guy will believe he needs to hold a lower body weight when he should be gaining. Maybe people just have a hard time understanding where they are when it comes to their stage of training. Beginners think they are advanced for some reason or that being able to recite direct quotes from authors means they bypassed beginner status.

That is why your level of training is most important in determining what your next plan of action is.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That would depend on your level of training. If you are thinking in terms of blanket advice that applies to all people, you need to quit thinking that way. [/quote]

Agreed, and I don’t.

Agreed, but that’s really not what I was asking.

Ok, this is what I was asking about.

Agreed.

[quote]Maybe people just have a hard time understanding where they are when it comes to their stage of training. Beginners think they are advanced for some reason or that being able to recite direct quotes from authors means they bypassed beginner status.

That is why your level of training is most important in determining what your next plan of action is.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more.

Knowing how your body responds to specific training stimulus and diet is worth more than reading hundreds of articles and posting all day long. That being said, this is an online forum for people to discuss topics and share experiences.