T Nation

Serving Sizes and Water Consumption

1. When a bag reads “1 serving = 1 cup of spinach”, what is a cup? I could make a cup of spinach by cramming as many spinach leaves as possible into a 1 cup container, and that will have loads more leaves than if I just grab a handful from a bag and stop adding them when the cup is full. So how does one measure ambiguous foods like this?

2. If one is bulking, what is the standard for water consumption? 1oz/lb bodyweight?

This is a prime example of overanalyzing everything.

If you weren’t aware, even though the calories are listed on a package, those are not the EXACT number of calories in that package but an average. Yes, there may be 49 calories in one can and 55cals in another. They are not going to take a microscope and a scientific scale to each and every can that comes down the conveyor belt.

There is no standard of water consumption. If you need more water, drink more water. Many bodybuilder try to get down about a gallon a day, but this is not written in stone and there is no specific number you MUST get down everyday.

1oz of water per lb bodyweight sounds way too high even if you consumed no fruits/veggies (high moisture) throughout the day

It should say how much 1 cup is on the package, like 1 cup or 1 serving = 30grams or similar, etc.

X is right. A lot of people shoot for a gallon a day, myself included. Plus another half gallon for workouts, sometimes a gallon or more if squat day.

But I’m curious, has anyone heard of the water cure? Drinking 6 glasses of water within 2 minutes upon rising supposedly cures a lot of ailments and sicknesses.

I drink water when I think of it and am never thirsty. I’m pretty sure I’m drinking enough.

Here’s a tip. Spinach is not calorie dense enough under any sane scenario to require any form of precise measurement by anybody who goes outside unsupervised.

I have a barrel of water and a hammock of spinach every day.

STOP OVERTHINKING.

Keep it simple.

The real issue here is how many spinach leaves equal .9 of a banana.

240 ml = 1 cup = 65 gm of spinach loose packed.
that being said, i ate an entire 7oz bag of spinach yesterday with 1/2 a tandoori grilled chicken (mm mm delicious) and the spinach calories clocked in at 40 cals FOR THE WHOLE BAG!! so dont worry about the leafy greens too much.

P.S. for those on the AD: that meal is one of the best ones IMO. just hit up your local indian joint and order the tandoori chicken (yogurt marinade) to go. a bag of spinach from a grocery store and youre good to go.

240 ml = 1 cup = 65 gm of spinach loose packed.
that being said, i ate an entire 7oz bag of spinach yesterday with 1/2 a tandoori grilled chicken (mm mm delicious) and the spinach calories clocked in at 40 cals FOR THE WHOLE BAG!! so dont worry about the leafy greens too much.

P.S. for those on the AD: that meal is one of the best ones IMO. just hit up your local indian joint and order the tandoori chicken (yogurt marinade) to go. a bag of spinach from a grocery store and youre good to go.

FWIW, thats why i bought a scale. Not only am I that anal about some things, It really makes measuring out portions a breeze.

since this thread is now useless, lol

what’s the story behind .9 bananas?

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
FWIW, thats why i bought a scale. Not only am I that anal about some things, It really makes measuring out portions a breeze.[/quote]

I sure as hell hope your progress matches that amount of inspection. I expect that action from someone competing after already building a physique that surpasses most, not from anyone who might look average. That amount of detail just makes no sense in any earlier stage of development. Your body won’t grow by your set schedule making that much restriction and control a hinderence to actual progress for most.

I only eat canned spinach. Especially when Olive Oyl is in trouble.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
johnward82 wrote:
FWIW, thats why i bought a scale. Not only am I that anal about some things, It really makes measuring out portions a breeze.

I sure as hell hope your progress matches that amount of inspection. I expect that action from someone competing after already building a physique that surpasses most, not from anyone who might look average. That amount of detail just makes no sense in any earlier stage of development. Your body won’t grow by your set schedule making that much restriction and control a hinderence to actual progress for most.

[/quote]

I see your point, but a simple “it doesn’t matter” would suffice. The “cup” serving is kind of vague, and I was just curious…in practice, I usually just grab a big handful and call that a serving or 2. In fact, I pretty much always grab a handful of veggies and call that a serving (usually works out to 1/2 cup for non-leafy veggies anyway). Anything wrong with being curious?

As far as water, I’ll shoot for a gallon a day. Again, I asked that because I’m not drinking enough water, and I’m a numbers guy so I need a number to shoot for.

since it’s numbers you want, here’s one
Drink:
1 cup of water every hour you’re awake.
16 hours = 16 cups = 16*8 fl oz = 128 fl oz/day.
thirsty still? drink some more… :slight_smile:

I shoot for 1 gal of water on non work out days and 1.5 gal on workout days. I often go over this by 40oz or so because well, I am a northerner who just moved to Texas, I sweat like crazy when I go outside.

johnward82 wrote:

[/quote]

well quite honestly, since you ask, its the best way to keep me from over eating, which was the number one obstacle in my way from loosing fat from 250 pounds to my current 170 or so.

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
johnward82 wrote:

well quite honestly, since you ask, its the best way to keep me from over eating, which was the number one obstacle in my way from loosing fat from 250 pounds to my current 170 or so. [/quote]

Yes, but this is a bodybuilding forum, so I am sure many would think the goal is not to remain at 170lbs.

You won’t be GAINING much muscle by being that restrictive.

It seems this is simply turning into a fat loss web site for some strange reason.

johnward82 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
johnward82 wrote:

well quite honestly, since you ask, its the best way to keep me from over eating, which was the number one obstacle in my way from loosing fat from 250 pounds to my current 170 or so.

Yes, but this is a bodybuilding forum, so I am sure many would think the goal is not to remain at 170lbs.

It seems this is simply turning into a fat loss web site for some strange reason.[/quote]

maybe he’s 5’2??? :wink:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Professor X wrote:
johnward82 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
johnward82 wrote:

It seems this is simply turning into a fat loss web site for some strange reason.

maybe he’s 5’2??? :wink:
[/quote]

you are correct, in 2 weeks i start my “bulk” its time to not be tiny. I was attempting to get as lean as possible, because while i understand that fat gain is needed to get bigger, i dont need to add fat to an already fat ass man. suffice to say, its time to eat, and im looking forward to it. Although I havent ever eaten to get big before, Im hoping that yall and this great website have provided me the information needed to do this properly. beleive me, i have no interest in staying this size.