T Nation

Serratus Weakness or Long Thoracic Neuropathy

Hi Guys,
Couple of months back I felt some winging of scapula on RIGHT side and did a Nerve conduction test which suggested Long Thoracic neuropathy. I also saw brachial plexus surgeon who straightway told to do decompression surgery. Currently I have stopped working my torso. I have attached some images. I just wanted to know the severity of my problem. In India we do not have any soft tissue management/manipulation techniques such as ART.

I wanted to know from some experienced people out there about the natural recovery of long thoracic neuropathy, whether to opt for surgery immediately, till how long should I wait before I opt for surgery etc…
I read a couple of sports medicine references which suggest that the nerve does heal on its own and may take from 6 months to a full year…
Please let me know your views.

Thanks for taking time to read.
Regards
Mihir

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hi bushidobadboy

Thanks for the advise. Actually I have done Nerve conduction test for my left Serratus Anterior too and they are in perfect working condition. Just now it came to my mind that may be the way I hold my Bar in front squats is causing impingement to the nerve when it passes through the Scalene muscles in neck… I dont use a clean grip instead I pplace my bar behind my clavicles. May be that is iminging it. Just thought to let you know. I am meeting my orthopedic today. Lets see what he suggests.

Also by nerve recovery I meant that once the impingement is corrected the nerves will start functioning normally over a period of time thats what the Brachialplexis surgeon told me…

Also your help is appreciated. So if you get anything more please post it right away…

Thanks

Mihir