Serratus Anterior Exercises?

What are the best exercises to bring out the serratus anterior.

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:
What are the best exercises to bring out the serratus anterior.[/quote]

Try uneven pushups on a BOSU ball. If you cant get one of those, elevate one of your hands 6 inches above the ground. 2-3 sets ok 10-15 should suffice.

I learned this one from Poliquin.

Lean back on an incline bench holding a pair of light DBs in each hand. The weight should be offset in your hands such that the thumb side of your hand holds is near one of the caps of the dumbbells. With your arms at your sides and elbows bent and fixed at ~10 degrees raise your hands to about the height of your face. Your palms will be rotating up to face the ceiling when they are at knee-height. Lower back down and repeat. If I remember correctly the exercise is to be performed fairly slowly.

I train my serratus for shoulder stability. I like to train them with heavy rack lockouts with a plus.

Unlike a bench press, I make sure not to pull the lats tight. I keep my low back pressed flat on the bench rather than arched, and unload the weight from the pins, then protract my shoulders. I usually perform 3-4 sets of 8-10 with the heaviest weight I can use without sacrificing ROM.

No one does Rope Pulls anymore? That’s one of the best exercises to build those suckers.

I also forgot to mention Hanging Serratus Crunches, Pullovers, and Hanging Dumbbell Rows.

pullovers

I like decline low cable pullovers with an ez curl handle and dip/reverse shrug/straight arm press things which actual name escapes me at the moment.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
No one does Rope Pulls anymore? That’s one of the best exercises to build those suckers.[/quote]

what are rope pulls? are they crunches using the rope from top part of a cable station?

to the OP: I have been doing incline feet elevated push ups and my serratus get sore every time…got that one from Bill Hartman and Mike Robertson…

You need to do lots of protraction and upward rotation. My favs are

cable punch with plus

swiss ball roll outs with serratus activated the whole time (one of the best exercises for rehab)

other goodies are pushups+, 1 arm bench press+, punching a heavy bag is also good.

Front squats, overhead squats and shrugs work really well also.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I like decline low cable pullovers with an ez curl handle and dip/reverse shrug/straight arm press things which actual name escapes me at the moment.[/quote]

Yeah, they(decline pullovers) would work in a similar way the roll outs do. I never thought of that one.

Cheers.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
I learned this one from Poliquin.

Lean back on an incline bench holding a pair of light DBs in each hand. The weight should be offset in your hands such that the thumb side of your hand holds is near one of the caps of the dumbbells. With your arms at your sides and elbows bent and fixed at ~10 degrees raise your hands to about the height of your face. Your palms will be rotating up to face the ceiling when they are at knee-height. Lower back down and repeat. If I remember correctly the exercise is to be performed fairly slowly.

[/quote]

I cant figure this out? Can you show me a pic or something?

Straight-arm pulldowns work the serratus and lats fairly well too.

Scap pushups, aka pushups plus.

[quote]mtotry wrote:
Fulmen wrote:
what are rope pulls? are they crunches using the rope from top part of a cable station?[/quote]

Almost. Get on the floor on your knees, holding the rope above you. Then pull down with your lats and elbows (not your stomach because then it would make it a crunch) and focus on your serratus. Go as far down as you can. You shouldn’t worry about high weight with this exercise, as it needs to be a strict movement.

Repeat.

I was under the impression that ‘scap pushups’ were done with straight arms. Like just the plus part of the push up.