T Nation

Serratus Anterior Execises?

If there are any people here who don’t know what the serratus anterior is, its the muscles that are under the pecs. If you go here http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_muscle_anaconda/anaconda_protocol

and scroll down to Sebastien Cossette, you’ll see those muscles that look like fingers that are under the pecs.

Does anybody know any good exercises that will strengthen that muscle?

CT had ‘serratus crunches’ in one of his articles.

Try those?

Pushups. Done with feet slightly elevated ideally, there’s an article posted on here somewhere about it. “Pushups, face pulls and shrugs”, it deals mostly with keeping the muscles around the scapulae balanced. I personally have no experience trying to specifically strengthen that muscle group.

maintain a push up position

without flexing your elbows, dip your chest down, and then up

puff your chest out, then cave it in

I’d really like to start strengthening the muscles in my eye lids, anyone know any exercises for them?

Seriously though, don’t sweat it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone and said to myself, “Man, what he really needs to work on is his serratus anterior.”

It’ll come with everything else provided you’ve got a relatively balanced plan.

If you’re looking to develop the serratus anterior it comes with overall development of Scapular Rotators. Do more pull ups, deadlifts, go heavy!

If you have a winged scapula and are looking to correct this, as stated above push-up pluses, and any type of scapular elevation laying supine on a bench with dbs will do the trick. You’d also want to make sure your rear delts aren’t inhibited and you your mid traps and rhomboids aren’t hyper-tonic. Gluck.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
I’d really like to start strengthening the muscles in my eye lids, anyone know any exercises for them?

Seriously though, don’t sweat it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone and said to myself, “Man, what he really needs to work on is his serratus anterior.”

It’ll come with everything else provided you’ve got a relatively balanced plan. [/quote]

I wouldn’t say that either, I just don’t want to leave one muscle untouched.

[quote]
#4: Train the Serratus

The serratus anterior is that cool-looking muscle on the side of the upper abs area, sometimes referred to as the “boxer’s muscle.” It isn’t technically an abdominal muscle, but it completes the look of a muscular, shredded torso.

Problem is, it’s kinda tough to train directly. In fact, many strength coaches say to forget about targeting the serratus and instead just get your body fat very low and do lots of overhead presses and pullovers, which bring the serratus into play.

Not bad advice really, but you can directly target this muscle group. Here’s how:

1. Do the serratus cable crunch.

We can’t remember if we learned this one from a trainer somewhere or if we “invented” it. Regardless, editor Chris Shugart has successfully used this exercise to hypertrophy the hard-to-hit serratus.

Here’s how it works. Stand sideways to a high cable with a D-handle. If your left side is facing the handle, reach up with your left hand and grab it. Place your right hand on the left serratus. This is a form of “touch training” and will help you target the serratus and work it fully.

Bend in the opposite direction to get a full stretch, then “crunch” the serratus down and forward slightly. Hold the crunched position for a few seconds for full effect. After 6 to 12 reps, switch and train the other side.

1. Use dumbbells more.

Poliquin notes: “Usually a guy with no serratus, assuming his body fat level is low, hasn’t done enough full range of motion movements with dumbbells, such as dumbbell bench press and dumbbell rows. He’s been using barbells too much (less range of motion).”

So, easy solution: If your serratus sucks and you use mostly barbells, switch to dumbbells.[/quote]

You want to stand at an angle to the pulley station, then crunch your upper body without bending at waist. I feel the movement best when I try to move my elbow towards my groin.

when overhead pressing, do some press outs on your last set. by dan john.

you should pretty much have the idea by now, everything said would do the trick, i did hear of this one thing but i dont know if it strengths or hypertrophies the serratus anterior, but i do know that it hits that muscle,

well in addition to elvated foot push ups, you can grab 2 heavy db and get on to a incline bench, so basicaly set up to do incline db presses, get the dbs to the top; the start position, and then from there just pull your shoulder blades together, then spread your shoulder blades and raise the dbs back up, so pretty much your not going to bend your arms, the dbs should only some down about 1-2 inches and then back up,

you kinda get it?

I know this post is old, but it is incorrect. Those who suffer injuries or Long Thoracic Nerve Damage may have a weakness in the serratus anterior.