Serious Knee Problem + VMO Development

Coach Thib,

I have a very serious knee problem regarding kneecap stability. I was born with extemely shallow grooves in my knees, which means that instead of my kneecap sitting in its natural groove, it tends to pop out of place very easily. When I extend my knee, my patella dislocates laterally, and I’m 99% sure that this is due to the fact that my vastus lateralis is much stronger then my vastus medialis (VMO), which leads to it pulling the patella outwards whenever my quadriceps contract.

What is the best way which I can strengthen my vastus medialis and maximize VMO recruitment while minimizing vastus lateralis involvment? I understand that it’s impossible to completely isolate one or the other, but even a slight improvement in the strength of my VMO’s will be helpful.

PS. I’ve been powerlifting-style squatting (Squating to parralel) 3 times a week with a 3 x 5 setup for about 4 months now and it seems to have made things worse.

Thanks CT

Not CT, but I was just reading this article he wrote a while back about quad development: Bulk Up, Cut Up! 1 … might be able to help you

[quote]briansays wrote:
Not CT, but I was just reading this article he wrote a while back about quad development: Bulk Up, Cut Up! 1 … might be able to help you [/quote]
Thanks man, appreciate it!