Serious Gyms in San Diego

Fellas,

I’ll be returning home to San Diego this summer to take the bar exam. While I’m there I need a gym to train at that caters to a more “hardcore” crowd. In other words, no Ballys or 24-Hour Fitness. I need something that has a good number of power racks and a minimum of machines.

I’m training mostly for speed and vert, so I do things a bit like a Westside/DeFranco style approach to lifting. A glute-ham bench or reverse hyper would be a huge bonus but is not a requirement. I have no real need for oly. lifting stuff either. Any ideas?

Kegrice Gym man…

131 Broadway, Chula Vista, CA
(619) 820-4501
San Diego’s Only Powerlifting and Strongman Gym

[quote]mattwray wrote:
Kegrice Gym man…

131 Broadway, Chula Vista, CA
(619) 820-4501
San Diego’s Only Powerlifting and Strongman Gym[/quote]

Thanks for that info. Looks like his website is not working right now, but I shot him an e-mail to get some more information. The gym is a little far out of the way for me, but I might have to bite the bullet if it’s the only place I’m going to be able to box squat without getting weird looks.

[quote]eic wrote:
Fellas,

I’ll be returning home to San Diego this summer to take the bar exam. While I’m there I need a gym to train at that caters to a more “hardcore” crowd. In other words, no Ballys or 24-Hour Fitness. I need something that has a good number of power racks and a minimum of machines.

I’m training mostly for speed and vert, so I do things a bit like a Westside/DeFranco style approach to lifting. A glute-ham bench or reverse hyper would be a huge bonus but is not a requirement. I have no real need for oly. lifting stuff either. Any ideas?[/quote]

World Gym on Garnet is where they kicked off Project Super Hero

SAN DIEGO
2949 Garnet Avenue
San Diego, CA 92109
USA
858-272-3400

They have a website.

619 Muscle on here posts and seems to be based out of that gym. Check out the Figure Competitor links, they had a posing and presentation clinic there just today.

[quote]eic wrote:
Fellas,

I’m training mostly for speed and vert, so I do things a bit like a Westside/DeFranco style approach to lifting. A glute-ham bench or reverse hyper would be a huge bonus but is not a requirement. I have no real need for oly. lifting stuff either. Any ideas?[/quote]

Here is the post I mentioned.

[quote]619 MUSCLE wrote:
Thanks everyone for the awesome turnout at our first bootcamp and posing clinic. TC and Laurie, great to see you!

Vanessa and Michelle, thanks for all the hard work and help!
And mostly, congratulations to all the girls who completed our fun but grueling morning exercise! Hope you’re not too sore tomorrow! It was really great to see you all!

We’ll surely have more of these in the near future!

Will keep you all posted!

XOXO
Meriza[/quote]

OctoberGirl,

I feel like an ass for addressing this thread to the “Fellas” when you, a female, come through with tons of info. But seriously, thanks for the heads up about World Gym. I’ll check out the website right now; of course, if it’s good enough for CT then I’m sure it’s good enough for me. Thanks again.

[quote]eic wrote:
OctoberGirl,

I feel like an ass for addressing this thread to the “Fellas” when you, a female, come through with tons of info. But seriously, thanks for the heads up about World Gym. I’ll check out the website right now; of course, if it’s good enough for CT then I’m sure it’s good enough for me. Thanks again. [/quote]

It’s all good!

Welcome back to Cali.

Good luck with the bar!

World Gym right off the 5 on Garnet. Thats the gym I train at. You’ll feel small when you walk in there. Great gym.

[quote]2RIIPPED wrote:
World Gym right off the 5 on Garnet. Thats the gym I train at. You’ll feel small when you walk in there. Great gym. [/quote]

Agreed. And, many former Kegrice lifters and other powerlifters are training there now.