Sergio Olivia Jr. - Forearms

Based on what I see, you probably need to re-think that!! :wink:

Don’t make us get WW to use the Lasso of Truth on you!
Seriously, pretty impressive!

:man_shrugging:t2: I dunno.

_20200209_161037

I think I did ok.

On the other hand, you’ve definitely done way too much ab work.

I’ve got T-Rex forearms (or so I’ve been told) but also do very little direct forearm work. I think it’s because I’ve got big hands that they just look small, but whatevs.

I also have hyooge calves and don’t do anything for them - ever. Tim Patterson actually recommended not to touch them as he’s seen someone with genetically great calves who made them get smaller with direct work.

Anyone have a biceps-forearms measurement ratio that could confirm/deny baby T-Rex forearms?

Forearm 80% of upper arm.

Reverse Curl 30% of bench press.

3 Likes

Oof, I don’t have a regular curl that’s 30% bench press lol.

1 Like

EhhGIF

I have long arms relatively.

My wrists are almost 9 inches around too. Starting from a young baby my parents had to cut the wrists in all of my outfits our they wouldn’t fit. I still have issues getting my hands / wrists through long sleeve shirts.

I also weighed 37 lbs. at 1 year.

It was my destiny to be large.

2 Likes

That’s a thick ass wrist dude

You know what they say about thick wrists and big hands.

Funny enough my fiancé I was engaged to that passed and my current wife have a thing for large masculine hands. It is in their top 3 of things they immediately looked at in a guy. I found it a bit odd but whatever lol. I can literally put my hands around her upper waist and have them touch - gets em every time.

2 Likes

That is an interesting standard. I assume it is for equal reps.

If that is true a person who could bench press 200lbs for 10 reps should be able to reverse curl 30% of 200lbs, or 60lbs, for 10 reps.

If I recall I could reverse curl 60lbs long before I could bench press 200lbs for 10 reps.

I do know curls can have a significant “cheat” factor.

All that said, I wonder if the weight trainer taps into his reverse curl strength in much less time than the bench press.

1 Like

Yeah, totally I agree. An active young guy who starts lifting will Probably get the reverse curl strength first. Probably pretty soon if they’re doing pull ups and athletic stuff that works the arms too.

I think the issue is that the reverse curl strength sort of plateus (and maybe stagnates and regresses) after years of training. Just as the bench press and other lifts are getting strong.

So instead of excess elbow strength, older guys have relatively weak elbows and elbow pain.

Here’s the article from Strength Coach Charles Poliquin where the 30% number came from. He had guys curl standing up against the wall to eliminate the cheating.
Achieving Structural Balance (t-nation.com)

2 Likes

In the spirit of being transparent I did play a lot of tennis from 11 to 18 years old so maybe that is a factor. These days they lust get worked from all the grip work from deadlifts, rows, pull ups etc. I also include some light hammer curls mostly for elbow heath, which sounds funny to me, as right now I am being treated for tennis elbow. They clearly didn’t work. LOL

I agree with this. I have shit forearms and calves. But when I do train my calves on a leg day, they get bigger, when I don’t train them, they get disproportionally smaller than my upper legs again.

But for forearms, direct forearm work did nothing to me, I did not notice any significant changes.

So forearms are even more affected by your genetics even more than calves. I think this is the case for most people.

1 Like

Hey flats, conversation came up elsewhere… where did you pull this number from?

1 Like

Heya,

Much like Bauber, I never did any direct forearm work, from when I was powerlifting @ 350 lbs or later on off season bodybuilding @ 325 lbs, it was about lifting heavy ass weight. Now at 61 yrs old, I think I still have a “dense” look at 250 lbs that has carried over from those decades of lifting those heavy weights.

As always, as many have mentioned, genetics are a key factor. I think RT_Nomad said he saw 1 person in all his time overcome calf genetics, I have never seen that myself, I have seen some pretty good calf impants though, lol.

I think deadlifts and heavy rows without straps did the trick for me, we should all be talking to Lee Preist of course. (IMO)

Current old guy pic.

1 Like

I hate you. :wink: Seriously, and not to take away from your hard work and obviously fantastic discipline, you were born to have great forearms. Your attachments are as long as Viator’s!! And despite what anyone says about ‘correlations’, good-sized wrists help the rugged look, if nothing else!

Hey man, I’m pretty sure that 80% number was based on Dorian Yates’ arm size.

1 Like