T Nation

Sergio Oliva Commercial

http://larrymccusker.com/sergiomovie.html

I gotta say,… funny and kinda sad at the same time.

S

He got paid, I AM SURE HE IS COOL WITH IT.

Oh… burn…

I enjoyed the commercial until the last few seconds. Pretty shitty and disrespectful. I know Sergio accepted the deal, but still. Guy is a legend who was arguably as good or better than Arnold in a lot of respects. Sad to see him in that light.

(P.S. Lou Ferrigno was a runner-up to Schwarzenegger and he’s well-remembered.)

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
(P.S. Lou Ferrigno was a runner-up to Schwarzenegger and he’s well-remembered.) [/quote]

By who?

I’m pretty sure no one other than folks outside of bodybuilding could name anyone other than Arnold and Franco who came in first any other time either.

that is sooo disrespectful!
slamming an individual who is an inspiration to many so a one-liner might give 'em a leg up on the competiton…bad taste!

[quote]Otep wrote:

By who?[/quote]

I bet half of North American males between the ages of 25 and 50 would either say “muscles” or “hulk” if you mentioned Lou’s name.

Who cares aboutfeelings at least he isn’t as bad off as say Jim Kelly or Bernie Kosar they were real losers . Ha ha

I like the girl in your avatar.

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
He got paid, I AM SURE HE IS COOL WITH IT. [/quote]

I wouldn’t be too sure that he’s cool with it. It’s quite possible that the advertising agency approached him about doing a commercial, saying only that they wanted to film him going through his daily life. They might have never mentioned that they were using that footage to compare him in a negative light to the Governator.

Hell they might have even filmed him saying something like “I’m Sergio Oliva and I use VISA,” despite the fact that they had no intention of ever using that line in the finished commercial. You know, just to mislead him.

I’m not saying that this is absolutely what they did, but it is a possibility. Maybe Oliva is cool with it - I don’t know. But if they did that to me, I’d probably be pissed off.

Interesting after seeing that commcercial to read his profile on bodybuilding.com.

“Sergio Oliva is the only man to defeat Arnold Schwarzenegger for the Mr. Olympia Title and is often referred as “The Myth”. Arnold Schwarzenegger has even proclaimed Sergio Oliva as the greatest bodybuilder ever.”

Funny commercial until the end.

Damn. I’m pissed I mean comon, disrespecting one of the best bodybuilders ever is of a very very bad taste.

If I where Oliva, I’d be seriously pissed.

He had the best physique in history in my opinion. And he was HIT.

Was the commercial really that disrespectful? Is there no place for poking fun? He did it, after all.

The commercial itself was very good and respecful and even heart-warming…but that “nobody remembers who was second” was a tad rough.

The other thing I noitcied is that the commercial sends a mixed message. The images show a man having a full and enjoyable life full of accomplishment, then the writing turns it into some Nike ad wannabe with some stupid “hardcore” slogan ( y’know one of those slogans that tries to make you man-up or something but just ends up sounding frat boy)

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
I enjoyed the commercial until the last few seconds. Pretty shitty and disrespectful. I know Sergio accepted the deal, but still. Guy is a legend who was arguably as good or better than Arnold in a lot of respects. Sad to see him in that light.

(P.S. Lou Ferrigno was a runner-up to Schwarzenegger and he’s well-remembered.) [/quote]

Yeah, I was watching it telling to myself, “Wow look a Sergio, still doin his thing and he seems like a nice guy” Then BAAIM! at the end they brutally disrespect.

That advertisement pissed me off, that’s really rude to the Sergio, the guy was a beast.

beast no more…interesting.

That was awful.