Serge Nubret Pump Training

“no pull ups or lat pull downs”
I hope you get well soon.
On the contrairy for the last 3 weeks i have been doing 6 days weekly lat pull downs.

Because of a shoulder issue since last Jan. my upper body progress was lagging. According to a Chad Waterbury article/experiment i decided to focus on pull downs and it is nice to have improved in size and strenght. To avoid over use problems i did no arm training(i use standard bench press, compounds) and 2 handles(rings like) so my joints are not limited to move freely.
In a while i plan to repeat my high frequency experience with push-ups.

Thanks Bhappy, I’m getting used to coping with injuries now. Before it used to tear me apart not being able to lift. I followed the Serge Nubret routine as it was written, SO much volume. And I’ve never done behind the neck pulldown’s, I honestly think that was the culprit. Just putting too much strain on my elbow. Also was starting to feel on my left anterior deltoid as if it was about to get injured. Luckily that was the last day before the lay off.

[quote]jldume wrote:
Thanks Bhappy, I’m getting used to coping with injuries now. Before it used to tear me apart not being able to lift. I followed the Serge Nubret routine as it was written, SO much volume. And I’ve never done behind the neck pulldown’s, I honestly think that was the culprit. Just putting too much strain on my elbow. Also was starting to feel on my left anterior deltoid as if it was about to get injured. Luckily that was the last day before the lay off.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing, I got similar results as you - I found that the program worked quite well for muscle growth, but also quite well for the appearance of new injuries, aches, and pains. I also found my strength on this program (when doing it as written) really improved on the assistance movements, but really suffered on the compound movements.

As for the behind the neck pulldowns, i found it also hurt my elbow and my shoulder (right elbow and left shoulder!?), but a part of me felt like the exercise was pointing me to a muscle imbalance and weakness, so i decided to go very light on them, with a 2 or 3 second pause at the bottom, and see how that felt. I’ve noticed a big improvement in range of motion, and this exercise no longer gives me pain. For the record i mean REALLY light. I went down to 50lbs, and stayed at the weight until i could do all sets of 12 with a long pause at the bottom. about 2 months later i’m up to 80lbs (still very light) with the slow ROM and pause. The shoulder and the elbow no longer hurt while doing the exercise. Anyways, i’m not saying this is for you, i’m just relating my story cause i had a similar issue with the BTNPulldown. I still get pain however from the BTNpress, so go figure (probably weak rotar cuff?)

That being said i probably will revisit this program in the future.

@ StrengthSeeker

could you please post about your results ?

You seemed to have it figured pretty well. Anyways, thanks your post had me do some small modifications. I went from 6 sets in 6 min. to 5 sets of 90 sec. each for compounds upper body and it was an improvement.

All the best !

A little feedback here folks.

Back and delts much improved, as well as outer quad sweep. Feel fuller and my CNS has been given a break. I feel my joints have had a nice break as well, and my work capacity has increased. I think the main positive (for a BB’ing point of view) has been not focussing on the weight but on maximum stimulation of the muscle - ‘mind muscle connection’ if you will. I’m no more than a ‘wanna look good naked’ kinda gym rat.

I’m not massive, I’m not ripped - I look better than the average dude on the street and I’ve been training weights for 10+ years (in my defence BB’ing hasn’t always been a focus - MMA, Muay Thai, boxing) I’m fit and happy, and this style of training has added an injection of fun and motivation. I look better than I did before I started the program, and enjoyed myself in the process - good enough for me.

Ta very much Mr Joe Kelly

moogweasel

EDIT
I saw an interesting video with audio that i think is quite valuable. I tried but could not include the video in the copying so here is the link to it, scroll down to 3:37 pm post

Anyone still doing this? Reading through the thread sounds like there is concern with a loss in strength. What about combining this routine with something like 531. For example do the core 3 weeks on 531 then switch over to this for 3 weeks continuing to alternate between the two?

I alternate heavy - light loads.
Morning i do a gym session 6 days weekly about 4-5 exercises (most compounds) 35-40 min. + general warm-up and cool down.
Later i go lighter at home(body weight/dumbbells) 6 exercises 7 days weekly.

Chad Waterbury suggested PLP(pullup/lunge/pushup) 3 daily exercises up to 60 reps each(a slow build-up adding a rep daily) as an add-on program. Well i modified it, the 180 reps are split in 6 instead of 3 exrcises. Now i am up to 14 reps each and it is going well. At 180 reps. 30 each it will be about 20 min.(1 exercise each TV commercial it fits in an hour of TV).
A little like the recent article mentioning we should use a wide range of reps/loads
“The Most Effective Way To Build Muscle
by Dan Ogborn and JC Deen”
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_most_effective_way_to_build_muscle

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Morning i do a gym session 6 days weekly about 4-5 exercises (most compounds) 35-40 min. + general warm-up and cool down.
[/quote]

Hows that working for you? Dont think i could get to the gym 2wice a day consistently.

[quote]dudsman wrote:
Anyone still doing this? Reading through the thread sounds like there is concern with a loss in strength. What about combining this routine with something like 531. For example do the core 3 weeks on 531 then switch over to this for 3 weeks continuing to alternate between the two?[/quote]

you could just do normal 5/3/1 and then for a weak muscle groups do 8x12 for assistance work

[quote]dudsman wrote:

[quote]BHappy wrote:
[/quote]

Hows that working for you? Dont think i could get to the gym 2wice a day consistently. [/quote]

I agree 2 daily gym sessions are a lot. That is why i adopted my new system on Jan. 01.
I work heavy at gym more options are available(power rack etc…).
My second daily session is done at home mostly body weight exercises and dumbells. I have limited space so i do not plan to get well equiped at home.

• legs lunge BW (body weight) alternating side/back

• calves BW 1 side at a time like lunges today will be 15 reps each side

• ABS - lifting legs now BW in about 4 weeks with 1 pound ankles weight ( i have bought a 10 pounds set(5 pounds each side, includes 10 1 pound i can add) so if i ramp up over 6 weeks i have a 36 weeks progress planned, first is just BW …
    – for upper my legs are verticals on a wall, my butt is about 1 foot away from that wall it isolates the abs and i crunh 28 reps each side(well 28 is today)

• i do pulldown instead of pullover to use my gym 2 D shaped handles it is safer for joints while high frequency

• push-ups i use a neutral grip using 8 pounds barbells(with flat sides) as handles

• reverse flys, dumbells

• press-up dumbells
    so with 7 exercises i just omit 1 daily depending on what i consider my strong points(relatively) so my weaker aspects get my full focus
    so a few bucks is enough to do in tiny space.

RampantBadger suggestion might work for you, but for me my intensity drops at 35-40 min. that is why i like doing 2 sessions daily. I am still using most of the suggested principles in the article about Serge Nubret(6 days, 2 daily sessions, avoiding failure(i reach it only occasionaly on the heavy). Sometimes i go 6x6 wich is a close cousin to the 10x10 approche using many similarities.

All the best !

I’m coming off 12 weeks of DC training in favor of Serge’s program. I used it last year with fantastic results but wanted to feel some heavy weights for a while. Tired of my joints aching though and I like the fact that I don’t need cardio with this.

I don’t understand why everyone is shitting their pants over the volume…the weights are supposed to be light enough that you can finish. Some of you are either extremely closed-minded or have the GPP of an 80 year-old woman.

[quote]masonator wrote:
I’m coming off 12 weeks of DC training in favor of Serge’s program. I used it last year with fantastic results but wanted to feel some heavy weights for a while. Tired of my joints aching though and I like the fact that I don’t need cardio with this.

I don’t understand why everyone is shitting their pants over the volume…the weights are supposed to be light enough that you can finish. Some of you are either extremely closed-minded or have the GPP of an 80 year-old woman.[/quote]

Dear masonator, the fact you are a level 4 suggest you might have high hopes/goals.
If you look up many posters are at a lower level.
Personaly i read each single post in this thread at least once.
The suggested program in the article is intended for intermediate trainers. As a beginner last Sept. it was too much for me.
I would understand my coach or my team mates asking me to invest enough time in my training, but a kid young enough to be my own kid is out of place in my personal opinion.

Would you let your 4 years old little brother sugguest you what to do?

Many or likely most posters are recreational trainers. Maybe in 20 years you will invest less time in the gym if you are still alive.

At over 50 yo with a waist line under 29 inches, i am more like in my thirties than golden age.

You expressed your opinion, why others doing the same are subject to name calling is just something i do not get.

All the best !

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Dear masonator, the fact you are a level 4 suggest you might have high hopes/goals.
If you look up many posters are at a lower level.
[/quote]

I think that just means he’s bought more Biotest supps from the store. Me living in Australia means i cant afford their supps so i will forever be level 0.

Thanks for your input Bhappy, I will be starting this program tomorrow

I have no card so i will be a level 0 for long plus i never buy any supplement.
My modest goals are reachable on a small budget, lucky me.
I know the levels are related to $$, i asked someone with few posts why his level was so high.

What the hell does this mean -

“He already said that’s his way to work the shoulders to avoid trapezius development and to emphasize deltoid development. You should stop when your arms are at 90% angle, and then go all the way up again”

Someone mentioned it in a post a few pages ago.

There was also a mention of lateral raise that start pronated and end with the hands facing each other above the head. Did I read that right? Did Serge do this particular type of lateral raise?

[quote]thrasher_09 wrote:
What the hell does this mean -

“He already said that’s his way to work the shoulders to avoid trapezius development and to emphasize deltoid development. You should stop when your arms are at 90% angle, and then go all the way up again”

Someone mentioned it in a post a few pages ago.

There was also a mention of lateral raise that start pronated and end with the hands facing each other above the head. Did I read that right? Did Serge do this particular type of lateral raise?[/quote]

with the overhead press, basically only doing the top half of the press. I don’t do this but alot of body builders do.
with the lateral raise my understanding was to start with the palms faceing forward and to raise the pinky side of the hand through the movement so its the back of your hands touching each other at the top of the lateral raise. - i’ve tried this one and it works great, the weight you have to use is humbling but great squeeze/compression at the top and a good pump.

as for what serge himself did someone else would have to answer that since i haven’t looked too deeply into it.

I understood the reasoning behind his routine but I am completely lost about selecting the weight, progression etc.

Serge called to select the weight that one could fail at 20-25 reps? So if we take bench press and I can do 50 kg x 20 reps.

The routine said: 8 sets x 12 reps bench press
Do I take 50 kg and use this weight every set? If I can do 20, why do I need to stop at 12 reps? Do you never go to failure?

And also how does one actually progress on routine like that?

Please help me

Thank you very much

[quote]7asssa7 wrote:
I understood the reasoning behind his routine but I am completely lost about selecting the weight, progression etc.

Serge called to select the weight that one could fail at 20-25 reps? So if we take bench press and I can do 50 kg x 20 reps.

The routine said: 8 sets x 12 reps bench press
Do I take 50 kg and use this weight every set? If I can do 20, why do I need to stop at 12 reps? Do you never go to failure?

And also how does one actually progress on routine like that?

Please help me

Thank you very much[/quote]

I dont recommend doing it for very long, i think it can be bad for your joints (personal experience). But it is good for hypertrophy.

If you are doing 8 sets with 1 min pause, trust me, you are gonna have difficulties in performing the last three sets. So no need to go to failure in the first three sets…

Hi, first you want an extra wide grip for all bench pressing.
You might try with 45-50 to start.
You should focus on feeling your muscles working.
The benefits come from cumulative effort with short rests.
At first you might start with 60 sec and take 5 sec less rest each fallowing WO to increase the density of work.
When you reach 30 sec you might add a little load.
Each set uses the same load so you first 2 sets should be quite easy but not your last 2.
You might read the article, the link is on the OP.
We never reach physical failure.
All the best !