Serge Nubret Pump Training

This thread is intended to be a fallow-up to a recent article written by Bradley Joe Kelly about Serge Nubret Pump Training. It is likely some will try the suggested program, some will use a modified version and some will try to apply 1 or more of the principles described.

Over the coming days and weeks we can share our successes and ask each other questions as they will surely pop-up.

Myself, i started yesterday and it felt akward since i am used to tempos of anywhere from 6 to 20 sec. per rep. This morning felt more natural allready. I like the 6 days training and the simplicity. About 3 times each year i am out of town, cannot train for about 20 days so the absence of cycles is more adaptaple to my crazy work schedule.

Welcome to all.

PS. to read that article/get the suggested program

Thanks to Iron Dwarf for posting "Some additional Nubret Training points… " on page 3.

Thanks to Untarai for posting quotes and some more details from Serge Nubret on page 13 and to many other valuable posters.
Also Suggestions from Serge about abs and more on p 14

I’m not sure if I qualify for this thread but I’d be very interested to hear about everyone else’s experiences.

I’m currently working out at home with fixed weights and can’t manage the volume required by the routine yet but my goal is to build up to it. I plan to do it pretty much unaltered, except for a few exercise substitutions to suit my home equipment and adding abs on the chest and quads day (as opposed to 2000 sit ups a day haha).

I started it 3 days ago.

I’ll be hitting all the required sets, but I’m dividing it into more of a split where each part gets hit once per week over the course of 5 days. If all goes well (and I’m eating enough), I’ll begin training certain parts 2x per week.

I like this type of training if only because my old joints need a break from heavy work.

Tried this for shoulders for 2 days ago, only just got feeling back in them.

And for legs today, Not looking forward to the nextt few days,

I am glad you all are enjoying it and look forward to your successes with it. With that said I am sure some may not like the style of training , it is very anti egotistic since you cannot use a bunch of weight but the results I have always seen are great.

Plus it does give us all a much needed relief to our joints and , even possibly nervous system if you are used to training until failure a lot. Good luck everyone, and thank you for spreading Serge’s training style, the man needs more attention.

Yeah I think that’s made a slight difference to me too, the fact that I am not going to/past failure most sets. Personally I am gonna give this a ago for 4-8 weeks and if results are good I’ll probably stick with it longer, tracking progress every week with skin fold, tape, scales, pics etc. Will let yall know how it goes for me.

A little visual inspiration for you guys.

He looks freakin awsum!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
A little visual inspiration for you guys.[/quote]

I asked the author on the livespill if he believed that Serge was natural (he says it in the article) as he went head to head with Arnold, et al. Never got a reply.

What do you guys think?

To me if he was natural is irrelevant. I am natural 54 with modest goals so decent results would please me.

Furo you are more than welcome.

All the best.

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I asked the author on the livespill if he believed that Serge was natural (he says it in the article) as he went head to head with Arnold, et al. Never got a reply.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

I remember reading that he admitted steroid use in a Muscle Mag interview he did in '79. Throughout the rest of his life he denied it. I think it’s silly to think he never used anything, especially considering the amount of muscle this guy was carrying into his 60s and 70s.

Oh yeah he didn’t use, he just took these little pink vitamins!

THis a is a 70’s era BBer, AKA full of shit. Do you really believe that nubret did 2000 sit ups a day for his abs? Do you really believe he was drug free?

I personally think he was a great BBer, but absolutely full of shit. Most people couldn’t complete that workout routine. And if you look at most other 70’s era bodybuilder’s shared routines, they all are a ridiculous amount of sets and reps, usually followed by some whacked out stunt like 2000 sit ups or OD’ing on HCL tablets.

Examples:

Arnold got his legs huge by bring a group of friends into the woods, getting hammered, and doing squats for hours on end.

Franco columbu popularized ingesting an extra HCL Tablet with all meals to help digest extra protein, which usually ended up with people puking and having an overtly acidic feeling in the esophagus.

Gironda: “Large amounts of fertile eggs, is equal to the anabolic steroid Dianabol in effectiveness.” - also advocated not doing squats because it only grows your ass.

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I did not respond for two reasons

1. In the end no one really knows, but Serge was on a very small island and had a championship physique in the late 50s. Logic would say drugs were not available to him before he developed most of his physique . Later in his career who knows.

2.Discussiing drugs attracts people I do not care to talk to, people who makes excuses for why they are not successful with training and bitter people. People these days are more concerned with drugs then training abd that is why I think natural training gas taken a step backwards. The truth is people benched 500 and had awesome physiques in the 30s, 40s and 50s naturally. Now it is rarer then even then.

Trust me when talking about drugs it is impossible to keep the discussion mature ( look at the guy above me) and it just wastes time.

[quote]Bradley Joe Kelly wrote:
I am glad you all are enjoying it and look forward to your successes with it. With that said I am sure some may not like the style of training , it is very anti egotistic since you cannot use a bunch of weight but the results I have always seen are great.

Plus it does give us all a much needed relief to our joints and , even possibly nervous system if you are used to training until failure a lot. Good luck everyone, and thank you for spreading Serge’s training style, the man needs more attention. [/quote]

Hi Brad,
You have mentioned a chronic illness. Which is it, if I may ask? Myself, I have been suffering from Crohn’s disease for 7 years now. I have been strength training with less than stellar results, and am seriously considering switching to that kind of training. Do you think that’s wise?

[quote]knokkelezoute73 wrote:

Plus it does give us all a much needed relief to our joints and , even possibly nervous system if you are used to training until failure a lot. Good luck everyone, and thank you for spreading Serge’s training style, the man needs more attention. [/quote]

Hi Brad,
You have mentioned a chronic illness. Which is it, if I may ask? Myself, I have been suffering from Crohn’s disease for 7 years now. I have been strength training with less than stellar results, and am seriously considering switching to that kind of training. Do you think that’s wise?[/quote]

My illness was severe acid reflux which caused me to vomit everyday. If I did not have surgery the acid would of gave me cancer and I was already 120 lbs and losing weight .

I approached training completely open minded and you need to as well. If you are not pleased with current results trying this could be just what you need. I have seen it help countless people and myself. But if for whatever reason you do not like it , move on.

I wish you goodluck in your training and know you will succees if you just stay with it.

I did the chest training on Monday, as I really need a break form the heavy lifts. I went too light on the chest routine, and wasn’t happy, but will do it again on Thursday with more weight. I did my own version of the back w/out Friday and today. Lat PD, BB Rows, DB Rows, High Rows (machine) and Face pulls. 6 sets of 12 reps, 1 minute in between sets, timed. My back was totally pumped, I was done in an hour and felt great. I can’t do the leg stuff, on DL as I’m recovering from knee surgery, but I like training like this. I’ll do it for a month or so.
Great article Bradley, thanks for the info and inspiration.

[quote]knokkelezoute73 wrote:

Hi Brad,
You have mentioned a chronic illness. Which is it, if I may ask? Myself, I have been suffering from Crohn’s disease for 7 years now. I have been strength training with less than stellar results, and am seriously considering switching to that kind of training. Do you think that’s wise?[/quote]

My illness was severe acid reflux which caused me to vomit everyday. If I did not have surgery the acid would of gave me cancer and I was already 120 lbs and losing weight .

I approached training completely open minded and you need to as well. If you are not pleased with current results trying this could be just what you need. I have seen it help countless people and myself. But if for whatever reason you do not like it , move on.

I wish you goodluck in your training and know you will succees if you just stay with it.
[/quote]

I see.

Well, I did gain some weight back, but my strength levels are very low, especially upper body pressing. I think I will give this a try.
Thank you very much!

@ knokkelezoute73 i know a lot of people improve much by tweaking their food intake. Most doctors nor dietecians/nutritionists are clueless.
I just did a quick search i hope this helps
Crohn's disease proper diet - Search

[quote]BHappy wrote:
@ knokkelezoute73 i know a lot of people improve much by tweaking their food intake. Most doctors nor dietecians/nutritionists are clueless.
I just did a quick search i hope this helps
Crohn's disease proper diet - Search

Thank you very much, BHappy. Well, I’m very strict about my diet already, but, cheers.

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

No.