T Nation

Serge Nubret on BBers and Strength

[taken from another board]

To Serge Nubret,

Hi Serge, quick question for you. You say you used roughly 225 for many sets of 12-15 reps. You had a pretty strong 1 rep max bench press. My question is how often did you work up to a 1 rep max to test how strong you were?

And didn’t you find training with lighter weights affected your 1 rep max strength?

I know your a bodybuilder so i don’t mean to throw in a strength question but i’m curious.

Robert

ROBERT

ONLY REPS GIVE MUSCLE MASS, AND FOR A SAME FIBER MUSCLE QUALITY, THE
ONE WHICH IS BIGGER SHOULD BE STRONGER, RIGHT !.. SO IF SOMEONE BECOME
BIGGER HE SHOULD BE STRONGER, BUT IT IS NOT SO SIMPLE, HE MUST FIRST
BELEIVE THAT HE BECAME STRONGER, SO FOR THAT HE SHOULD TRY SOMETIME TO
LIFT A WEIGHT HE CAN DO 10 REPS THEN 11 …12…13 …UP TO 15.

WHEN
HE CAN DO 15 REPS HE HAVE TO TRY AGAIN TO FIND THE WEIGHT HE CAN DO 10
REPS AND DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER. WHY THIS SYSTEM ?..BECAUSE
FOR THE MIND IT IS EASIER TO DO ONE SET MORE THAN LIFT 5 OR 10 KG MORE
BECAUSE IN THIS SECOND THE WEIGHT IS COMING YOUR ENEMY WHICH IS NOT THE
CASE WITH THE REPS SYSTEM. IT WHY I DID NOT HAVE TO TRY A MAX OFTEN
(ONLY ABOUT ONCE EVERY 3 OR 4 MONTHS).

WITH A BODY WEIGHT OF 95 KG, I DID ONCE 225 KG ON BENCH PRESS, BUT I
BECAME EVEN STRONGER WHEN I COMBINED BOTH “REPS AND MAX” I THING I DID
ONCE 10 REPS WITH 200 KG. I STILL HAVE THE FRENCH RECORD IN BENCH PRESS
SINCE 40 YEARS.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN A POWER LIFTER, BUT 40 YEARS AGO POWERLIFTERS USED TO
SAY THAT BODYBUILDERS JUST HAVE MUSCLES BUT WAS NOT STRONG, SO IT WAS
MY PLEASURE TO GO TO SOME WEIGHTLIFTERS CHAMPIONSHIP AS A SPECTATORS,
BUT AT THE END I COULD NOT RESIST TO HUMILIATE THE WINNER OF MY WEIGHT
CLASS, BY DOING WITH THE SAME BAR HE JUST BEEN LIFTING, ABOUT 8 OR 10
REPS. KILLING IN THE WAY THE CHAMPIONSHIP. SO THE COMMENT ABOUT
BODYBUILDERS AND WEIGHTLIFTERS WAS OVER.

BEST REGARDS

SERGE NUBRET

Interesting.

I thought bodybuilders weren’t strong and couldn’t climb stairs.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Interesting.

I thought bodybuilders weren’t strong and couldn’t climb stairs.[/quote]

It’s all about functional bodybuilding.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Interesting.

I thought bodybuilders weren’t strong and couldn’t climb stairs.

It’s all about functional bodybuilding.[/quote]

I love your avatar.

He seriously did 8 to 10 reps with the winners max? I wonder what weightlifting contests those where.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Interesting.

I thought bodybuilders weren’t strong and couldn’t climb stairs.

It’s all about functional bodybuilding.[/quote]

Yeah, he functionally trained to functionally rep out a contest winner’s max.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Interesting.

I thought bodybuilders weren’t strong and couldn’t climb stairs.[/quote]

They can’t carry groceries or play with their children either.

Hey, if you ever get chased by a bodybuilder, don’t fret. Just find a set of stairs and climb up. These guys can’t get past 3 steps cause that’s all it takes to get on stage. A while back, there was a contest, and the stage had five steps…Yo man, they had to use the forklift to get all of them on top! Now they always make sure to ask before renting a venue. True story.

So he used the repetition method to get stronger?

Earth shattering!

[quote]
Serge Nubret (Said):
ONLY REPS GIVE MUSCLE MASS, AND FOR A SAME FIBER MUSCLE QUALITY, THE
ONE WHICH IS BIGGER SHOULD BE STRONGER, RIGHT !.. SO IF SOMEONE BECOME BIGGER HE SHOULD BE STRONGER, BUT IT IS NOT SO SIMPLE, HE MUST FIRST
BELEIVE THAT HE BECAME STRONGER, SO FOR THAT HE SHOULD TRY SOMETIME TO
LIFT A WEIGHT HE CAN DO 10 REPS THEN 11 …12…13 …UP TO 15.
WHEN HE CAN DO 15 REPS HE HAVE TO TRY AGAIN TO FIND THE WEIGHT HE CAN DO 10
REPS AND DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER. WHY THIS SYSTEM ?..BECAUSE
FOR THE MIND IT IS EASIER TO DO ONE SET MORE THAN LIFT 5 OR 10 KG MORE
BECAUSE IN THIS SECOND THE WEIGHT IS COMING YOUR ENEMY WHICH IS NOT THE
CASE WITH THE REPS SYSTEM.
BEST REGARDS
SERGE NUBRET[/quote]

Well, now it seems “old skool” methods may have some merit (despite what I have been reading seeing the last few years)…I grew up reading it was all due to the use of the Weider(fill in the blank) principle, and we all now know the addition od “Vitamin S” was never mentioned.

So, like legions of “recovering Catholics”, similar legions of 60’s/70’s Kids were later forced to re-evaluate everything they had learned from BB mags about training…Hmmm…It seems an experiment is in order: Back off the poundages, re-set, and start using the “old skool” rep system as stated above and see what happens…

so, a BB should be able to walk into any PL meet and do REAL well. in that case, BB should do that. talk about a great way to cycle training…pick a meet, train your way, go in and stomp the crap out of the would be winner in your weight class.

then you can start the next round of training with your new 15rep max

sb

[quote]mopar_nocar wrote:
so, a BB should be able to walk into any PL meet and do REAL well. in that case, BB should do that. talk about a great way to cycle training…pick a meet, train your way, go in and stomp the crap out of the would be winner in your weight class.

then you can start the next round of training with your new 15rep max

sb [/quote]

People in general are either really stupid, or they just choose to miss the point on purpose.

I hear that third step gets them so sweaty that they don’t need to oil up backstage. All the sweat from the grueling climb works just fine!

[quote]Majin wrote:
Hey, if you ever get chased by a bodybuilder, don’t fret. Just find a set of stairs and climb up. These guys can’t get past 3 steps cause that’s all it takes to get on stage. A while back, there was a contest, and the stage had five steps…Yo man, they had to use the forklift to get all of them on top! Now they always make sure to ask before renting a venue. True story.[/quote]

Serge on Compounds vs Isolation Movements

Serge,

The base exercises for each muscle you say are the best. Do you beleive someone could develop a good physique from just doing only the base exercises?

Craig

No, because he will develop only the bigest part of this muscle, but muscle often are composed by different small muscles.

Serge

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Serge on Compounds vs Isolation Movements

Serge,

The base exercises for each muscle you say are the best. Do you beleive someone could develop a good physique from just doing only the base exercises?

Craig

No, because he will develop only the bigest part of this muscle, but muscle often are composed by different small muscles.

Serge[/quote]

I have to say that I agree with this totally (once you change it to “No, because he will develop only the biggest part of the muscle group, muscle groups are composed of different small muscles”).

Common sense would tell you that your body will use the strongest muscles the most to execute a compound exercise as it strives for efficiency. This means that if you have muscle imbalances the weaker muscles will never catch up and the imbalances may actually get worse.

Just in case anyone feels like being deliberately obtuse the question would imply that Serge had previously stated that compound exercises should be the base of your program but not at the expense of isolation movements, this mirrors my personal beliefs.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
People in general are either really stupid, or they just choose to miss the point on purpose.[/quote]
Agree…Seems results speak for themselves IMVHO…Apparently even that is not good enough for some…

How can people think such a big fella’ isn’t very strong?? Seems strange to me.

sometimes u dont have to be big to be strong tho

my buddy at the gym can bench around 7 plates, i seen him do it at least twice, hes maybe 185 or so i think

i ain’t nearly that strong as he is, but i can bench press around 4 plates, i’m around 190 and 6 foot tall

sometimes we do shoulder press, i can do 3 plates on that for about 10 reps.

i sure dont look like none of them fellas though.

tom

[quote]TomTG wrote:
i sure dont look like none of them fellas though.

tom[/quote]

That’s because they’re on steriods. Everybody knows that!

All kidding aside, why didn’t Serge just compete in powerlifting if he can press a winning weight for 8 reps? Winning all those additional titles would prove that bodybuilders are stronger than powerlifters forever.

Because, big/strong as he was, Serge may be exaggerating to prove a legitimate point. Dogmatism on either side would be unbalanced and extreme