Serge Storms: Training Log

Monday

1800 calories. 30/40/30 CPF

Woke up in my hotel and saw this in the mirror:

I’m blaming it on the hotel lighting, of course.

But seriously, this is a good sign. I’ve dipped my toe into the single-digit body fat range quite a few times. I know I’m getting close when I have those DYEL moments. And when my ass doesn’t fill out my jeans.

There is a slight difference this time around. I identify with the whole “lifting” lifestyle much less now than I ever did. I really don’t mind if I don’t look like I lift. When I know all the cool physical things I am capable of and when I have confidence in my ability to control my eating behavior, I am at peace with whatever amount of muscle I carry around.

I also have pretty decent shoulders, arms, and abs, so I think it will all be okay. I mean, my arms will never looked as jacked as Bieber’s, but he’s obviously a juicer.

3 Likes

^Sharing a link to a good article on self-control, which is a subject I’ve been studying informally for a while.

My daughter seems to be wired as a delayer. She would not have eaten the marshmallow.

I’m thinking it might make sense to start sharing some lessons on self-control with her, so she can refine and strengthen what is a bit of a rare natural ability.

I am not a delayer, but I probably would have figured out a way to eat half the marshmallow while maintaining a perfect cube shape so that I could potentially have my first marshmallow and eat the second, too.

I’m a high school teacher and one of the ways I justify procrastinating grading papers is by citing the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment.

I also try to discuss and teach my own children self control is by delaying, a tactic I learned from my now deceased grandmother who had but a tenth grade education while possessing an inordinate amount of common sense and wisdom. She advised me that if I saw something I felt like a had to have at a store, that I should go home and wait twenty four hours. If I still wanted it the next day, then go ahead and buy it.

It was good advice.

1 Like

Perfect day - I hit the numbers I was aiming for.

Today I shifted my carbs back a little later and went with mostly Rice Krispies and Special K instead of fruit and fiber. Just tinkering a bit to see the effects.

My only exercise today was a 20-minute pump-pose-and-squeeze session in the PM during the circadian swole hour.

The last few days have been whoosh-ish with the visual changes for me. Today I saw some graininess and veininess in the serratus. My skin seemed to feel tighter. In the right lighting and with the right water distribution, it’s like being able to see a few weeks into the future. I liked what I saw. I think my shoulders and arms are going to look bigger as I get leaner. Same for upper traps and definitely triceps.

What will most certainly not look impressive is my middle back thickness or lats. These are not strengths, and after seeing what some focused hard work can do for these areas (not much), I decided to just not try to make improvement there.

Oh, and for not doing any pressing but definitely doing a ton of volume and frequency with other chest movements, I think my chest looks great.

Carbolin seems to be working nicely for me once again. I think it works best when already lean and when there is some existing momentum in the direction of fat loss.

Wednesday

Weight 189.2

Sometimes a slight whoosh is followed by a rebound. When things whoosh and stabilize, it’s a good indication that I’m on-track.

AM Workout - 45 minutes

I started with some single-arm DB standing overhead press - about 5 sets of 3, strict, heavy-ish DBs.

I also did a ton of lower back extensions. I don’t seem to bother much with lower back unless I’m lean. When I’m lean, I have a much better MMC with lower back work. With any lift, for that matter. I have a theory that leanness really enhances proprioception.

I also spent some times on vacuums, which I also don’t bother with at higher body fat levels. I think the lower back/vacuum/glute work is good for protecting the lower back and preventing the old-man lower back spasm that tends to creep up out of nowhere and throw me into severe APT for a few days.

Then I shifted gears and did some intense jump rope stuff and some full-speed breakin’ moves. My one-handed handstand spin is getting better and better. All of these moves are way easier without the 12 or so extra pounds and with the enhanced flexibility and body awareness that comes with leanness.

I threw in some tripod-to-handstand moves, too. These are in the middle of the floor, I don’t believe in using the wall.

That’s it.

Beach and pool for the next week. Seeking to retain my Overall Physique title in the 40+ Dads category.

2 Likes

This is way up the list of importance for me. How often do you see a ripped dad with his wife and a couple of teenage children at the beach…or anywhere? It’s rare. Congrats man.

Victory is mine.

Took me a while to find the right trophy.

I will admit, I’m competing in the minor leagues here. It ain’t no Rehab at the Hard Rock, that’s for sure. But I can’t control who shows up on contest day.

We’ll try the pool circuit tomorrow or the beach on the other side. I hear SARMs are big with the 40+ dad crew over there, so I’m gonna pump up extra in the morning.

3 Likes

A random kid at the Harbor Town playground taught me how to do this last night. I always figured it was just a matter of leverage, and watching this kid do it once was all I need to see how the levers all worked.

I imagine this would be WAY easier for a 170-pound climber. Each one of my legs felt like it weighed about 200 pounds.

2 Likes

Interesting article. I’d be interested to hear how this Philip Goglia G-Plan figures out a starting point for calories. He does present an interesting take on keeping metabolism HOT instead of “high”, although the claim that fat cannot be “burnt” unless the metabolism is hot seems to be a bit simplistic.

I like that he has different macro breakdowns depending on how a person supposedly handles different foods and fuel mixes. I suspect I might be a dual burner, which would put my macros at 33/33/33. From my experience, those work pretty well for me. I tend to like a lower-fat mix because it helps with adherence and helps me keep calories low. But now that I’m so locked-in, I don’t have to prioritize ease-of-adherence as much, so I can play with macros without risk of falling into bad habits again.

Macros this week are kinda out the window. Vacation mode. Still staying in the green with total calories, but taking a break from all supplements except Carbolin. That includes protein powder, which usually gives me 50-75 grams of my daily intake.

I’m also not obsessing about chicken breasts or protein or food in general.

Yesterday’s macros are a good example:

200g C
75g P
90g F
2100 calories

Harbour Town? What country are you in?

USA. Hilton Head. South Carolina.

Yea I thought you were 'murican, we have pretty popular Harbour Towns in Oz. Evidently they arnt just localised here!

I was just at the Westin Hilton Head 2 weeks ago for a work conference!!

You live there?

I go there at least twice per year for work events. My company even owns a house on #16 of Harbour Town, off Mizzenmast. We do a huge entertaining event during the RBC Heritage annually, were one of the main sponsors of the golf tourney.

Small world! Love Hilton Head.

Actually packing right now to head to Kiawah. Just about 1.5 hours away.

Vacation. Not sure I could live in or near Hilton Head. I think I’m more of a desert guy.

Such a tourist spot (and retirement lol).

I don’t know how people live in touristy areas.

Back from vacation.

Weight = 192

I wasn’t really focused on diet and exercise on this trip, so to come back in roughly the same shape as I left is a pretty good thing. Usually, I need at least three days to a week for vacation damage to be reversed, but I came out of this one in pretty good shape.

My near-term goal is to keep getting leaner throughout the summer. I don’t see any big changes in my workout routine or other physical activity. I would like to continue tweaking my food choices and macros, but those tweaks are really more about observing the way certain macro combos and foods effect the way I look and feel on a day-to-day basis. The leanness will happen if I keep hitting my calorie numbers consistently over time.

Thursday, July 6
1900 calories
190g C
170g P
60g F

Workout: 45 minutes of arms, shoulders, chest DB work, floor work, rope work, and a bunch of super-strict pistol squats.

One of the diet tweaks that I think I’m under-utilizing is the super-low intake day. I feel like I could tap into some whoosh-effect fat-loss magic if I threw in two days of pulse-fasting a week, but I just haven’t been able to execute that with much consistency. Every time I start with the intention to execute a low/pulse-fast type of day, cravings seem to get the best of me, and I end up rationalizing my way back to a normal calorie day.

Not that it’s holding me back, I just feel like when I do execute those days, I can almost feel the whoosh happening, and it feels good.

I suppose I could be happy just reinforcing positive habits over time and getting leaner gradually, but I feel like I’m in a good place to kick some ass right now.

I still don’t have a set goal for body weight or bf %, but I’m thinking if I did, it would be somewhere in the 185 range at 9ish %.

2 Likes

185 @ 9% at 44 puts you at the 99 percentile for kickin’ ass!

1 Like

Hell yeah it does.

Speaking of body fat %, I’ve been using my Skulpt Chisel device to track my progress. It’s a pretty cool device, I’m definitely glad I got one.

May 21 - 14.3%
June 12 - 11.8%
June 24 - 11.2%
July 8 - 10.4%

I knew today’s measurement would be lower than the previous, just from some of the details emerging in the mirror and from the way the device felt when I pressed it against my abs.

From a local reading standpoint, it seems like my ab area is leaning out the fastest. That reading for that area went from 18.3% to 9.4%.

Quads and glutes seem to be the most resistant areas. Those started out pretty high and are still pretty high.

From a LBM standpoint, my body weight is at 190, which puts me at about 171 lbs LBM. That number has actually increased slightly since late May.

Do I really think I’m at 10.4% right now? Probably not. These devices are probably skewed towards the low end so people will feel good about them and give them good reviews. Doesn’t matter, I just use it for directional guidance.

Anyway, if I can drop another few percentage points without losing any LBM, I’d actually only need to get down to 187 or so to hit that 9% level.

I love all these calculations. I can’t believe I still enjoy re-working my macro numbers and re-calculating my LBM on such a regular basis. Been doing it for over 20 years now. I’m not even sure my propensity to engage in this type of behavior has anything at all to do with fitness. When I was into tennis, I’d find myself getting all caught up in racquet string tensions. Something about analyzing numbers seems to make my brain happy.

Speaking of numbers…

I use the Lose It! App to track my intake and exercise.

I have about five years of data now. Plenty of stretches where I went dark and stopped logging, but for the most part, I have continuous curves and trends that I can look at.

One thing I’ve concluded is that the output side of the energy equation does not really seem to correlate with anything. In other words, “It’s your diet, stupid.”

That’s why I don’t pay any attention to the “NET” calories (food calories minus calories burned through exercise). Intake is all that matters.

This mentality also helps offset the tendency to overeat on days when I’ve played two hours of tennis or gone on a 50-mile bike ride. If the extra energy output in a day exceeds about 1,000 calories, then I might make up half the difference by eating an extra 500, but I actually prefer not to adjust calorie intake based on calorie burn.

When I look at body weight trends and body fat trends, improvements correlate strongly with intake and not at all with NET calories.

Right now, I’m focused more on macros, meal timing, and keeping fat intake as low as possible throughout most of the day before dinner. I feel like all these arguments about how fats, carbs, and proteins effect satiety are missing one bigger point: HABITUATION should trump all of those factors when it comes to constructing a diet that lends itself to great long-term adherence.

My pre-11AM intake has decreased, and that has made the rest of the day easier to manage. I’m not that hungry in the morning, so I take advantage of that. I used to have the mindset that each window should be 500 calories:

Wake - 11AM = 500
11-4 (500x2) meals = 1000
4- sleep (bigger dinner plus snack) = 1000

But now, I’ve made a gradual shift and look to keep total calories under 1,000 by 4:00.

That usually has me pretty hungry right at 4, so I’ve been having a light meal/snack right at 4:00. Esentially, I’ve shifted the calories from the few beers/cocktails I was having on a nightly basis to a healthy snack at 4:00. Dinner is whatever the family is having. It helps that we are generally a health-conscious family.

These minor tweaks have been putting me in a place where by after dinner, I’m usually only at 1800 - 2000 calories. At that point, I have the option of a post-dinner dark chocolate and “nuts 'n more” peanut butter snack, or just banking those calories in the overall weekly deficit.

2 Likes

That is really interesting to read. I guess on a pure energy level it’s black and white but the body has a funny way of not working quite like that.

2 Likes

Yep. The body is complex, much more so than ‘this’ minus ‘this’.

1 Like