T Nation

Sept 20th - Total Fight Challenge

T-folks,

My next fight has been confirmed for Sept 20th at Total Fight Challenge in Hammond, IN. I will be fighting an excellent fighter, Jason Chambers, with a record of 17-6. He is also known for being the host of The Human Weapon on the History Channel, as well as other TV and film spots. He is an accomplished fighter and grappler and it will be the biggest test of my life. Thank you to Total Fight Challenge, their matchmaker Joe Goytia, and to Jason Chambers for this opportunity. If any of you plan on attending, tickets, I believe, are $39 each and I’d appreciate it if you bought them from me. Thanks again!

Dan

Just whip out the Tae Kwon Do on him, maybe you can get him to play along and twist a knee.

Hehe, j/k but that is awesome, good luck and I am sure you will do your best!

Beat his ass…I’ve always wanted to beat up a television star, but I was thinking more along the lines of Ray Romano or David Hasselhoff.

Haha…I dunno man…Hasselhoff might blitzkrieg you into oblivion. Romano would be a safer bet. You don’t want to lose to a flying rescue tube smash…or get run over by a voice commanded car.

[quote]danew wrote:
T-folks,

My next fight has been confirmed for Sept 20th at Total Fight Challenge in Hammond, IN. I will be fighting an excellent fighter, Jason Chambers, with a record of 17-6. He is also known for being the host of The Human Weapon on the History Channel, as well as other TV and film spots. He is an accomplished fighter and grappler and it will be the biggest test of my life. Thank you to Total Fight Challenge, their matchmaker Joe Goytia, and to Jason Chambers for this opportunity. If any of you plan on attending, tickets, I believe, are $39 each and I’d appreciate it if you bought them from me. Thanks again!

Dan[/quote]

Nice one mate. Keep us informed on how the training goes.

Good luck

Hey everybody, this is coming up next weekend, so I’m topping it. If anyone is interested in going, let me know. I have tix to sell.

Thanks!

Good luck man. Looking at this guy’s sherdog record, he looks like one tough dude. He lasted almost as long with Thiago Alves as did Matt Hughes.

And is your fight for the Total Fight Challenge Welterwieght Title? Googling his name comes up with Jason Chambers as the Total Fight Challenge Welterweight champ

Good luck though

Well on the poster it’s listed as a title fight, but that is an error. The TFC belt is actually vacant right now, and this is a non-title fight. My understanding is that Jason only wants to fight a couple more times, so I guess that’s why it isn’t for a belt.

To update:

Unfortunately I lost. I tapped due to rear naked choke @ 2:11 of round 1. I did well early, landing a couple good leg kicks, a nice head and body kick, and a good straight right. I was taken down and managed to escape back to my feet once. The 2nd time he got me down I made a silly mistake and gave my back. He sunk the choke and finished me. Back to work now…thanks again for the advice and support.

It happens.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Shame.

Are you back training? When will your next fight be?

I am back training. I was not injured at all, so that’s a plus I guess. I’m not sure when my next fight will be, but I’ll def let y’all know.

Congratulations on fighting and fighting someone with that much experience. Sounds like you’re stand up was good, how is your jiu jitsu/wrestling/judo and or sambo?

Wrestling is def my biggest weakness. I have my blue belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, but admittedly I knew he’d have an advantage on the ground. And he did. ha. Here’s a somewhat bad video of the fight…me in white shorts. Notice the lack on combos standing. I think that was my biggest mistake really. Tell me what you guys think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Ehg6CwAHk

You got taken down right after a front kick and a high kick. No really stopping the take down from the front kick because he caught your foot. After the high kick it just looked like you were not in a great position to defend the TD.

Even if your wrestling sucks if you practice with someone with good takedowns you should be able to develop good TD defense.

Hard to say, I don’t know the mma game well (as a fighter) vs. just standup, but if you set your kicks up, I think it would have helped a lot. I don’t think you preceded one kick with a punch or punch combo.

That was probably the thing that stood out the most to me. Also movement. Jason was basically walking you where he wanted you. I am sure others can comment on whatever else, but I thought I’d share.

Due to not setting up the kicks properly and the movement, you could watch Jason judging his timing and distance with you. He never left the pocket, he was just measuring you, found the opening and took advantage of it twice with the take down.

All that said, bravo man for getting in there against some serious legit competition no less (Jason is no joke, not just a tv star, but I suppose most here know that, sure you did haha). I love your attitude about your loss too. Keep that up and you will do yourself well.

Peace.

Tough luck homey, but you did very well especially given the considerable difference in experience levels

one thing to consider is that if you end up on your back in half guard you have to keep moving either - give up half guard to stand up or continually threaten with sweeps and get to full guard -

since you stayed static it gave him plenty of time to work for the pass, obviously it’s a little easier to come up with a solution when you’re watching a fight on your computer than it is when you’re actually in there getting punched in the head…lol

Thanks a lot for the advice. I totally agree about setting up my kicks. I didn’t throw one combo…that is probably the thing that disappointed me the most in watching the fight.

I pride myself on having good striking, and I honestly just kinda froze up. But thanks again for the advice. I’m already working on solutions :slight_smile: