T Nation

Seperating Egg Yolks from Whites (Vid)

This is awesome, makes life a whole lot easier when your dieting!!!

why, to eat nothing but the yolk? :smiley:

This might actually be a life changer. I can separate a dozen yolks at a time and keep them stored in a water bottle in my refrigerator. Genius.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
why, to eat nothing but the yolk? :D[/quote]

I had a bit of awake up call with my cholesterol recently. some of us sadly can’t do this without getting a heart attack before we’re 40. My effing body hates me and is attempting to off itself.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

why, to eat nothing but the yolk? :D[/quote]

I had a bit of awake up call with my cholesterol recently. some of us sadly can’t do this without getting a heart attack before we’re 40. My effing body hates me and is attempting to off itself.[/quote]

There’s a lot to this statement, and I won’t go into full detail.

What else was part of your diet?
Why are you concerned with total cholesterol?
Do you feel total cholesterol is a good predictor of HD?
What was your HDL?
Triglycerides?
CRP?
Homocysteine?
A1c?
Waist circumference?
BP?
LDLb?

What if dietary cholesterol is not your real problem, DD?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
What if dietary cholesterol is not your real problem, DD?[/quote]

Everything is my problem. My body is not fucking normal. It’s a hard truth I’ve come to realize recently. I have been reading and listening far too much to what my body should do, instead of seeing what it is doing.

Also, should be pointed out that total cholesterol is not a fixed # but will change from one reading to the next, even withint a few weeks, sometimes upwards close to 20%.

time of year can play a role too.

Also, should be pointed out that total cholesterol is not a fixed # but will change from one reading to the next, even withint a few weeks, sometimes upwards close to 20%.

time of year can play a role too.[/quote]

I’m not dismissing standard cholesterol advice. Just saying some people are outliers. I was doing everything “right” and had my LDL higher than a 500 pound fat alcoholic who sits on a couch eating nothing but lard all day. When you end up getting sent for an MRA of your brain at 29, it’s kind of a trigger to change some things, even if you are changing away from the “right” things.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I’m not dismissing standard cholesterol advice. Just saying some people are outliers. I was doing everything “right” and had my LDL higher than a 500 pound fat alcoholic who sits on a couch eating nothing but lard all day. When you end up getting sent for an MRA of your brain at 29, it’s kind of a trigger to change some things, even if you are changing away from the “right” things.[/quote]

Again, you have not answered any of the above questions.

An MRI of your brain and a high cholesterol count are not related. I get ya though, you got a wake up call and want to make sure you’re not taking any chances.

What was your LDL? And what was your LDLb count?

Do what you feel is right though, I’m not here to tell you to eat eggs, but rather re-educate on judging heart health from merely LDL or TC, the evidence just isn’t there.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I’m not dismissing standard cholesterol advice. Just saying some people are outliers. I was doing everything “right” and had my LDL higher than a 500 pound fat alcoholic who sits on a couch eating nothing but lard all day. When you end up getting sent for an MRA of your brain at 29, it’s kind of a trigger to change some things, even if you are changing away from the “right” things.[/quote]

An MRI of your brain and a high cholesterol count are not related. I get ya though, you got a wake up call and want to make sure you’re not taking any chances.

Do what you feel is right though, I’m not here to tell you to eat eggs, but rather re-educate on judging heart health from merely LDL or TC, the evidence just isn’t there.[/quote]

Trust me, I love eggs. I have 6 chickens and was eating 4-5 fresh eggs a day. Grass fed beef. lots of veggies and fiber. loosing weight. taking my fish oil. 0 “processed” foods. relatively lean.

I have not had the LDL particle size measured yet, so I don’t know. I’m going back to the doctor in a month and will be getting the complete breakdown. But my total LDL was 431. Yes, 4 fucking 31. Total was 480-something. Triglicerides are fine (130-ish). HDL is low (29).

And the MRI was to check for artery blockages, so, yes, it’s related.
I had gotten it relatively under control (mid 200s with a higher HDL) a few years ago with the standard cholesterol lowering diet cutting out as much dietary cholesterol and dietary saturated fat (except some nuts and fish oil, est.) as possible (starting out my total was 361). And that’s what I’m going back to.

I had slowly deviated from that plan reading all the stuff about benefits of saturated and how dietary cholesterol isn’t a big factor. And I’ve about doubled my numbers which were already high enough for me to have to fight off my doctor over statins. 120 points higher than the first time I got it checked when I was on the see food diet and drinking most nights.

My body is greatly impacted by saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, even if that defies all the scientific studies.

Eating yolks might be healthy for 99.9% of the population, but that just doesn’t include me.

I know I’m probably coming off as an ass in this thread, and I don’t mean too. I’m not really arguing against you specifically. Just getting some of it off my chest. I was planing on starting a kinda log on it to put up what I was doing and track my numbers and progress.

Not to mention that our bodies make cholesterol out of other stuff in our diet.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Do what you feel is right though, I’m not here to tell you to eat eggs, but rather re-educate on judging heart health from merely LDL or TC, the evidence just isn’t there.[/quote]

Trust me, I love eggs. I have 6 chickens and was eating 4-5 fresh eggs a day. Grass fed beef. lots of veggies and fiber. loosing weight. taking my fish oil. 0 “processed” foods. relatively lean.

I have not had the LDL particle size measured yet, so I don’t know. I’m going back to the doctor in a month and will be getting the complete breakdown. But my total LDL was 431. Yes, 4 fucking 31. Total was 480-something. Triglicerides are fine (130-ish). HDL is low (29).

And the MRI was to check for artery blockages, so, yes, it’s related.
I had gotten it relatively under control (mid 200s with a higher HDL) a few years ago with the standard cholesterol lowering diet cutting out as much dietary cholesterol and dietary saturated fat (except some nuts and fish oil, est.) as possible (starting out my total was 361). And that’s what I’m going back to.

I had slowly deviated from that plan reading all the stuff about benefits of saturated and how dietary cholesterol isn’t a big factor. And I’ve about doubled my numbers which were already high enough for me to have to fight off my doctor over statins. 120 points higher than the first time I got it checked when I was on the see food diet and drinking most nights.

My body is greatly impacted by saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, even if that defies all the scientific studies.

Eating yolks might be healthy for 99.9% of the population, but that just doesn’t include me.

I know I’m probably coming off as an ass in this thread, and I don’t mean too. I’m not really arguing against you specifically. Just getting some of it off my chest. I was planing on starting a kinda log on it to put up what I was doing and track my numbers and progress. [/quote]

I didn’t take any of what you’ve said to be “comign off like an ass”

431, that is quite odd. I’m gonna assume you haven’t been diagnosed with familial-hypercholesterolimia? since you haven’t mentioned it.

Your trigs and HDL could be improved, as your Trig:HDL ratio is in the zone of being a worrisome for heart health, ideally below 2.0, getting close to or above 4.0 is a cause for concern, and you’re there for sure.

Good luck, would be nice if MODOK were still around to offer some input on the matter.

You may want to google Chris Kresser High Cholesterol Action Plan as he just released a complete program to tackle such an issue.

Sorry JF, I completely missed your list of questions somehow. I was wondering what you were talking about.

What else was part of your diet?
Briefly listed above

Why are you concerned with total cholesterol? And, Do you feel total cholesterol is a good predictor of HD?
Briefly, my numbers are very similar to my fathers. He almost had a stroke and has already had corroded artery surgery and a triple bypass and almost died in his 50s. That’s good indication.

What was your HDL?
29, low. Lower than when I was on the low fat low cholesterol diet. It was around 40

Triglycerides?
130-something. Normal range, but higher than they used to be.

CRP?
They checked and it was in the normal range, though I didn’t get the hard number.

Homocysteine?
Don’t know. I can ask if they checked next visit.

A1c?
Normal range (fasted blood glucose was 90-something)

Waist circumference?
Haven’t measured. Like a 32-34 waist in pant. Not too big.

BP?
It was marginally high, stressed out in the doctor’s office. (like 138/89)

LDLb?
Not sure if they checked, but I plan on getting that next visit.

431, that is quite odd. I’m gonna assume you haven’t been diagnosed with familial-hypercholesterolimia? since you haven’t mentioned it.
[/quote]

That’s new to me, but my dad, my older brother, and myself are all similar. (dad is on heavy does of statins and such though now)

I cut out yolks while dieting too.

I still wouldn’t do this though, I buy egg white cartons. $2 for 50g of protein from egg whites.

Nice…so much easier

awesome, when I get eggs I eat them whole but in the future will need to take out some whites. Eggs are $1 a dozen on sale so this would be half the price in those cases

I didn’t read all the other posts but the idea that the cholesterol in eggs turns into the cholesterol we get in our bodies is untrue.