Seoul, S. Korea

Any T-Nationers in the Seoul area or have lived here? Any advice on living. greatly appreciated.

No.

No.

I have always wanted to move to Tokyo or Kyoto, Seoul is awesome enjoy it!

Never been there myself, but I know several people who have. Consensus was that it was like a dirtier, less interesting, way less friendly version of Tokyo.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
I wasn’t real impressed with some of the Korean people I came across.[/quote]

Honestly, this. I lived in S. Korea (about 40 mi south of Seoul) and in my year there I experienced some of the rudest people. I experienced a higher concentration of people coughing in my face and hacking phlegm up within 3 feet of my person than any time I’ve been to any other major city in the world (I’ve been to a few).

I understand that it’s a different culture and all but they don’t have a concept of personal space and they’re quite pushy. That was the majority of my experience. I did, on an individual level, experience some rather friendly and warm people as well.

Also, I miss the food there something fierce. I mean we have Korean restaurants here in the states and it is comparable, but not as good. Ironically, one of the best hamburgers I’ve had was from a street vendor at 2 in the morning. Them shits was delicious.

All in all, I rather enjoyed Seoul and had one of the best years of my life. You just have to get passed the smell of garlic and kimchi on public transportation and the rudeness.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Also, I miss the food there something fierce. I mean we have Korean restaurants here in the states and it is comparable, but not as good. Ironically, one of the best hamburgers I’ve had was from a street vendor at 2 in the morning. Them shits was delicious.

[/quote]

That was a rat burger.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[/quote]

That was a rat burger.[/quote]

Then rat burgers are delicious!!

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[/quote]

Then rat burgers are delicious!![/quote][/quote]

I havnt been to Korea in about 4-5 years but still have cravings for some of those restaurants.

Learn to speak Korean with Rosetta Stone or something before you go so you can understand when you’re being cursed at or know who’s prejudiced against you. And if you run into trouble, just say you’re Canadian. haha

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[/quote]

I havnt been to Korea in about 4-5 years but still have cravings for some of those restaurants.

Learn to speak Korean with Rosetta Stone or something before you go so you can understand when you’re being cursed at or know who’s prejudiced against you. And if you run into trouble, just say you’re Canadian. haha [/quote]

Rosetta Stone fucking sucks.

[quote]Legionary wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[/quote]

Learn to speak Korean with Rosetta Stone or something before you go so you can understand when you’re being cursed at or know who’s prejudiced against you. And if you run into trouble, just say you’re Canadian. haha [/quote]

Rosetta Stone fucking sucks.[/quote]

A negative comment about Rosetta Stone?! How come?

Edit: I’ve never used it but was considering buying a couple.

Speaking about Seoul, anyone know what the deal is with the military threats right now? any locals here?

I lived on Yongsan for a couple of years, but I was in middle school so I didn’t get to enjoy the fine korean women. :frowning:

[quote]gato10 wrote:
Any T-Nationers in the Seoul area or have lived here? Any advice on living. greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I may be able to offer you some advice. But it really depends on:

Your ethnicity (caucasian, asian, etc)

Your reason for migration

I lived in Seoul for a year in Sinchon.

It was an awesome experience and their is a lot to love about the experience of living in a different Country.

Go with an open mind, be brave and try everything especially the women. Some things will certainly frustrate you about the culture, but remember you are a guest there and this is a very old country and that they have lived with there values through many generations.

I have a couple good gym recommendations in the Sinchon and Seoul National University area if you need them.