T Nation

Sentenced to 13 Yrs, Never Told to Report to Prison

Now the state wants the guy to serve his 13 year prison sentence 14 years later.

If they make this guy serve this time…well I already have no faith in the system but this further confirms it.

http://news.yahoo.com/armed-robber-never-told-report-prison-195146743.html

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Now the state wants the guy to serve his 13 year prison sentence 14 years later.

If they make this guy serve this time…well I already have no faith in the system but this further confirms it.

http://news.yahoo.com/armed-robber-never-told-report-prison-195146743.html[/quote]

He never served his sentence, why shouldn’t he have to go?

Ya, how this happened is absurd, but he should still have to serve his sentence.

If they have parole, they should take his good behavior into account, but he’s committed armed robbery. He needs to do his time. And he could have asked them to hurry up with the report date but chose to hope they would never enforce the order. That was his call. So this falls into the sucks, but tough titty category, IMO.

He should not have to go because prison is intended to rehabilitate . If he goes back they will destroy his life and probably be a ward of the state for the rest of his life

“I don’t know how you come down on the incarceration question, whether its for rehabilitation or revenge, but I was beginning to think revenge is the only argument makes any sense.”

–H.I. McDunnough

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
He should not have to go because prison is intended to rehabilitate . If he goes back they will destroy his life and probably be a ward of the state for the rest of his life [/quote]

This. He’s proven he’s rehabilitated so what’s the point? Let’s use some simple logic here.

Fine, let’s just let every convicted criminal do their own at home rehab. I mean heaven forbid we punish someone convicted of a violent crime.

There are very few rehabilitative programs in prison, and that assumes most guys are willing and proactive to use them.

I think this guy made a much better and more effective transformation than prison would ever have given him.

He has 3 kids now, and you cannot even imagine how hard it is to watch a guy in the visiting room holding his kid who then asks his dad, “hey daddy, when are you coming home ?” I saw this many times during my stays in numerous places, watching a guy’s expression on his face when he tries to explain to his little one he can’t come home for another 5 or 10 years. Seeing guys miss their kids growing up, graduating from school, weddings, funerals, it’s a really fucked up thing to watch.

Keep him out, the lesson has been learned, and maybe this could be a more effective alternative than just throwing guys in the joint.

Give a guy a suspended sentence, provided he gets his shit together, get a job, stay out of trouble, etc.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
There are very few rehabilitative programs in prison, and that assumes most guys are willing and proactive to use them.

I think this guy made a much better and more effective transformation than prison would ever have given him.

He has 3 kids now, and you cannot even imagine how hard it is to watch a guy in the visiting room holding his kid who then asks his dad, “hey daddy, when are you coming home ?” I saw this many times during my stays in numerous places, watching a guy’s expression on his face when he tries to explain to his little one he can’t come home for another 5 or 10 years. Seeing guys miss their kids growing up, graduating from school, weddings, funerals, it’s a really fucked up thing to watch.

Keep him out, the lesson has been learned, and maybe this could be a more effective alternative than just throwing guys in the joint.

Give a guy a suspended sentence, provided he gets his shit together, get a job, stay out of trouble, etc. [/quote]

There should be some punishment.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Give a guy a suspended sentence, provided he gets his shit together, get a job, stay out of trouble, etc. [/quote]

There should be some punishment.[/quote]

Yea, I am good with that. Maybe some jail, fines, shit like that. Violent offenders get locked up, but low level shit should not have the book thrown at them.

Wrt punishment, derailing this mans life, his family’s life, his kids lives, and his employees lives because the state fucked up with their paperwork, is going to cause far more harm than benefit to society at this point.

Should ask the guy he robbed what he thinks should be done.

Ideally, the purpose of prison is to rehabilitate (been there so I know that’s not how it usually works).
So this guy rehabilitates himself at no excess cost to the taxpayer/State, and some people just get a punishment hard-on to give the guy the shaft. Stop thinking in black and white.

Hopefully an appeal get’s him a suspended sentence.

I don’t understand. The man was convicted in court? then they set him free saying hey stick around we still don’t know what is going on with you? I thought after you become convicted you stay incarcerated. He didn’t kill anyone or molest any children.

I’m sure there is more to the story though.

He could have been a confidential informant, which is why they didn’t take him into custody.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
He should not have to go because prison is intended to rehabilitate . If he goes back they will destroy his life and probably be a ward of the state for the rest of his life [/quote]

This. He’s proven he’s rehabilitated so what’s the point? Let’s use some simple logic here.[/quote]

personally I think a strong point of control of this person was lost in the case coming about publicly , I think the best thing would have just let him think be good don’t get in any trouble and I can get away with this

I don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand, he committed a crime and should be punished. On the other, what good would it really serve at this point. He has already proven that he has reformed his life. Under the circumstances, I think maybe probation equal to his prison sentence?? Make him report for monthly drug screenings and whatnot with the understanding that one slipup means prison. Make him pay all the money back with interest. I don’t really think prison is the answer though.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand, he committed a crime and should be punished. On the other, what good would it really serve at this point. He has already proven that he has reformed his life. Under the circumstances, I think maybe probation equal to his prison sentence?? Make him report for monthly drug screenings and whatnot with the understanding that one slipup means prison. Make him pay all the money back with interest. I don’t really think prison is the answer though.[/quote]

What I find funny is many people are left off the hook for various things due to procedural errors, whether that be cops, prosecutors, judges, or other such activities. Further, there is typically statutes of limitation on a lot of for which you can be charged for crimes.

If the court system failed to do what they needed to do in a reasonable amount of time (I would argue 14 years is NOT a reasonable amount of time), I don’t see how that’s this guy’s problem.

Notice how I keep saying “reasonable.”

http://news.yahoo.com/man-freed-missouri-delayed-imprisonment-case-152627742.html

Guy was released!

“Mississippi County Associate Circuit Judge Terry Lynn Brown needed just a 10-minute hearing before ruling that he was giving Anderson credit for time served for all 4,794 days between his conviction and when he was arrested last year. The judge granted Anderson his immediate freedom.”

Thanks for the update ZJ, this is good news.

I think this was the right call by the Judge.

Yeah I agree. Right call. He never hid, it’s reported that he even called his court attorney asking what the deal was when they never came to pick him up I think. He was picked up last July so spent most of this past year in jail as well before being set free.