T Nation

Senior T-Man

On a new bent, thanks for the Senior T-man article. I do heavy squats (workout weight on mass phase is 315), bench (275 in mass phase), deads (305 in mass phase), use a weight belt for chins and dips. This is at 49 yo. Those ‘Docs’ who say these things are dangerous for you are probably the ones entering marathons every 4 months and then at 45 ‘retiring’ because their knees are gone…
Keep pumping and going heavy, “you’ll be glad you did”

wow, those are good numbers. And a great inspiration to us young whippersnappers. :slight_smile:

Yup. I agree with Chuck. I am sliding into fifty so fast that it drives me to get the most out of every workout. I would like to be like Rudy (The Navy Seal) who still goes to the gym six days a week at seventy plus years. Every time I slow down or am forced to stop by family or business requirements I can feel the rust forming. Best of Luck.

Agree with the comment about doctors. I’ve always been in better shape than my doctors, and they’ve put it down to “Yes, but you’re in your prime!” Well, now I’m starting to be older than some of them, and it’s pretty funny to see the reactions when they tell me something like “You shouldn’t eat six times a day”. I ask why not, they can’t give me a good answer, and then I lean over and say, sotto voce, “Doc. Look at me.” It’s always good for a laugh.

Let’s hear it for us old farts! After many years of bodybuilding-style training, I decided to take my training to the next level and have been training and competing in powerlifting for the past two years. I’ll be 56 in a couple of weeks. Glad to see a T-column for the mature athlete.

I went to an “old school” Orthopedic “doc” about 3 years ago with a ruptured cervical disk. When he found out I worked out with weights he told me I was a “young kid with a bad habit”. Hell, the old bastard didn’t know I was 47 years old at the time! I do look much younger than my age (most people think I am in my early 30’s). I ended up having neck surgery for the ruptured disks. Six weeks later I was lifting weights as part of my rehab. I guess I have one hell of a “bad habit” because I’m still lifting weights (squats, benches, dips, deadlifts). My workouts are no different from the “younger” guys, I just listen to my body and give my body more time to recover between workouts.
I’ll be turning 50 January 1st. My girlfriend and training partner for the past 4 1/2 years is 30 yrs old. I had to get a younger one because I kept “wearing out” the ones my age.
I think those “docs” who say lifting weights is dangerous should save the energy they expend giving this “advice” for their
marathons.