T Nation

Semper Fi Barack?

Does anyone believe for a second that Barack thought about joining the military after High School but didn’t pursue it because the hostilities in Vietnam were over and so there was no combat going on???

So if there had still been some commies to go kill he would have signed up …

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/obama-to-step-6.html

Meh.

Total non-issue for me. Even if you could prove that what he said was a lie (can’t do it) I still wouldn’t care, he doesn’t have to have military experience. I’ve got plenty of reasons not to vote for the guy, and this ain’t one of them.

Actually, he voted for joining the military, before he voted against it. :wink:

Hillary almost joined the Marines…she didn’t get called out on it. The messiah won’t either.

Obama could have just told the recruiter
“Present”. Then he would not have had to make a committment. Worked for him as a Senator.

At least, after Kerry’s “Reporting for duty!” debacle, “Reporting… Present!” will perhaps serve better.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
Meh.

Total non-issue for me. Even if you could prove that what he said was a lie (can’t do it) I still wouldn’t care, he doesn’t have to have military experience. I’ve got plenty of reasons not to vote for the guy, and this ain’t one of them.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

I would rather hear him say nothing than pander to the crowd.

Of course, I am a McCain supporter, so I may be biased.

It probably is a fabrication intended to score a point or two in McCain’s column, but it is unverifiable, and frankly, I don’t think anyone would care.

But, it is another footnote in the desperate grasping of the campaign.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
Does anyone believe for a second that Barack thought about joining the military after High School but didn’t pursue it because the hostilities in Vietnam were over and so there was no combat going on???

[/quote]

I have a hard time picturing him as a warrior. Not having a hot conflict ongoing didn’t deter me from joining in 78.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
flyboy51v wrote:

I have a hard time picturing him as a warrior. Not having a hot conflict ongoing didn’t deter me from joining in 78.

[/quote]

Sweet sign.

More like semper lie.

Post traumatic stress syndrome - maybe Barry can explain what that is to McCain.

McCain may not be aware of the trauma that war can bring.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
flyboy51v wrote:

[/quote]

I know it is kind of simplistic but I look at it like this; who would you rather go into combat with? I don’t see Obama being worth a mouse fart in combat and I certainly don’t see him as being able to cover me. I know that I don’t know him but just looking at him gives me the impression that when the time came, he would not be able to perform or for that matter even show up.

Now Sen. McCain on the other hand, even in his present condition, looks ready to kick ass! I’ve actually worked with him in the early stages of the campaign from back in 07 when it was being done on a shoe string and up to the point when he got Secret Service protection. All the time the guy was carrying his own luggage around!

No pretense or hesitation in him just a ‘get things done’ attitude that I would welcome to have covering me in combat!

[quote]GunnyBear wrote:
I know it is kind of simplistic but I look at it like this; who would you rather go into combat with? [/quote]

Are you serious? A fit 47 years old or a 72 years old geezer?

You must be joking.

I don’t, and I don’t. I don’t think he’d ever consider military given his background, I think he’s grubbing for voters, and I think it’s going to fail miserably. McCain is unmatchable in that category.

And for the record, I’d pick McCain in a heartbeat if in some imaginary world I had to go into combat with one of the candidates. He might not be fast or fit anymore, but at least I’ll know he won’t go balls up on me in the middle of the firefight and try any “aggressive personal diplomacy” without his gun. And he’s not going to break mentally.

McCain probably wouldn’t, for example, meet with the North Vietnamese Communist leaders in France to find out their plan for US surrender and bring it back to the US people to trumpet as what we should do. And particularly probably would not do this while a uniformed officer.

As for Obama, had he joined the Marines, and were any particular person to go into combat with him, wouldn’t one tend to wonder whether he might not, like Kerry, go off on his own to negotiate or otherwise talk with the enemy?

Just speculation from what appears to be character, of course we cannot know the answer for sure whether he would bug out a la Kerry and meet with the enemy. But it’s an interesting psychological thought question anyway.

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
I would rather hear him say nothing than pander to the crowd.

Of course, I am a McCain supporter, so I may be racist.[/quote]

Fixed it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/10/uselections2008.barackobama

And the manner of that decision will matter, too. If it is deemed to have been about race - that Obama was rejected because of his colour - the world’s verdict will be harsh. In that circumstance, Slate’s Jacob Weisberg wrote recently, international opinion would conclude that “the United States had its day, but in the end couldn’t put its own self-interest ahead of its crazy irrationality over race”.

So according to these guys, you are a racist. How dare you.

[quote]lixy wrote:
GunnyBear wrote:
I know it is kind of simplistic but I look at it like this; who would you rather go into combat with?

You must be joking.[/quote]

Obama is fit like a vegan marathon runner. Don’t make it out like he is full of lean body mass. He is skinny. Everytime I see him in a suit he reminds me of the pictures of corporate women in the 80s who wore those huge linebacker shoulder pads in their dress suits.

I guess you would choose him so that as soon as the opportunity presents itself you 2 could turn tail and run and run and run. Then sit down at Trinity for a rousing morning of Hate America rhetoric.

Its a no brainer. Not only do I think McCain is a hell of a lot tougher than he looks, he has shown he can handle it. Once again, one of the candidates has actually done something and the other has only talked about it.

[quote]lixy wrote:
GunnyBear wrote:
I know it is kind of simplistic but I look at it like this; who would you rather go into combat with?

You must be joking.[/quote]

No he’s not, think of it this way, a 47 year old pussy candy ass or a proven combat veteran.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
lixy wrote:
GunnyBear wrote:

You must be joking.

No he’s not, think of it this way, a 47 year old pussy candy ass or a proven combat veteran.

[/quote]

Being a warrior is more than ability to run. It’s a state of mind.

As I think back, in 1979 we had a cold war going full strength and in November 1979 a hostage crisis began with Iran. If you needed a reason to join, it was there.