T Nation

Semi-Sumo DLs and Knee Stress?

Do Semi-Sumo DLs place excessive stresses on the knee joint/ligaments/whatever?

Some big guys at my gym tell me they do, and that I shouldn't teach people to do them semi-sumo.

(then again, they also say that DLs will hurt a beginner regardless of how light the weight is and whether they keep their back flat... and that if someone tries to do chins but is very skinny it'll destroy his "ligaments")

But, semi sumo usually allows someone who just can't keep his back flat during conventional to keep it perfectly flat.

Thanks, Eisen

How is it different than the stresses in sumo or conventional or wide stance squatting. seems like a similar loading pattern to me.

Rule number one, dont listen to the guy just because he is big. These sound like bb types who do not know their ass from their elbow.

Warren Sapp was a hell of an athlete, doesnt mean I would want him to coach me in the weight room or on the football field, because regardless of his individual talent, he is an idiot and a maniac.

The wider your stance is, the more knee flexion and hip mobility will be required.
Its the exact same as a squat, sumo stances are not bad for your knees, doin it wrong is.
If the hips allow the knees to track out over the feet and dont show valgus collapse.
I personally prefer semi-sumo with a straight bar and teach that first to all of my clients.Pulling super wide sumo all the time might lead to some hip issues.

I would suggest to go with your gut when it comes to guys like this. From the comments in your paren. it would appear you already know these guys say alot of stupid shit, right?

Neah, I don't listen to people just because they're big. If Jay Cutler would tell me to have a beginner do a split routine w/ 12 sets/muscle group I still wouldn't give a shit. (I don't think Jay would actually recommend this to a beginner, but just to exemplify).

Neah, I don't listen to people just because they're big. If Jay Cutler would tell me to have a beginner do a split routine w/ 12 sets/muscle group I still wouldn't give a shit. (I don't think Jay would actually recommend this to a beginner, but just to exemplify).[/quote]

Yeah, I guess a better way to look at is that gym rats offering unsolicited advice will tend to also know the why if they are offering unsolicited advice to not do something.
eg.
"You shouldnt do that, it's bad for your knees"
"why"
"Because"
Most of the time if you ask why? they will either lose interest or come up with bs so thick you know you can discount it right away.
Is there a reason you thought you should double check on what these guys were saying?

I don't know that much biomechanics... so, I thought it wouldn't hurt to double check, just to make sure.

Thanks.