Semi-Pro Soccer Body

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
You look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club. [/quote]

Highest praise.

Semi-pro soccer player? And you’re worried about size? Jesus. Do yourself a favour and look to put size on. Putting muscle on will pretty much do a world of good for any sport you play. I don’t know why, but this seems to be the only sport where players don’t want to be “big”, along with modeling, is you consider that a sport as well.

Maradona was short and pudgy and he is argueably the best player to every play the game. Wayne Rooney is FEARED because he is strong, aggressive, and powerful. He also isn’t lean. Being lean won’t save you from people burning past you on the wing or keep you from getting flattened on your ass from a shoulder charge.

Give yourself the best possible chance at succeeding and add muscle to your frame, you can probably make the jump to pro’s right away, the standards aren’t difficult, it’s the political nonsense. Soccer players, as a whole, have THE WORST training habits out of any other sport competitors.

Weight training and building muscle will not tax your speed or cardio. It’ll make you more powerful and add endurance, as well as make you more flexible, not muscle bound. Strength and power matter just as much as speed and agility in the game.

To wrap up…

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE “LEAN” TO PLAY SOCCER.

Thanks to the post about this not being “rate my body compared to a body builder”, that was the point I was trying to make earlier.

And in regards to the post about being lean and playing soccer…

Yes, Maradona was short and pudgy (especially now, what a mess!) and Rooney is an absolute monster, but as a 6’3 Center mid/center back who is slow to begin with, adding too much mass is only going to slow me down even more. I’m not the fastest guy in the world, but I do base much of my play around being physical. That being said, I still do need to be fairly light on my feet. The top pro’s like Rooney, who are stocky, are also not normally on the tall side. Of course you have exceptions, but the majority of bigger (in terms of musclucar build) are shorter. Look at Christiano Ronaldo, probably one of the fittest players in the game (regardless of what you may think of him as a player), and he is built fairly similar to me in that he is very lean.

Like I said, it obviously pays to be strong, but you also need to be light on your feet, 15 years of playing has taught me that. If I get much over 210lbs, I start to slow down, so I try to stay between 190 and 200.

But I do agree with you in just about everything you said, and in fact you don’t have to be lean to be a great player, but in my case, being tall and not that fast to begin with, I just have to make sure I keep my gains under control (not that thats a problem, tough to pack on tons of weight on a 6’3 frame haha)

But I do appreciate your post, nice to hear from someone who knows the game

[quote]elano wrote:
Why is the first pic in black and white?

How does gaining muscle, strength, and power going to hurt your performance?[/quote]

Black and white was just the most recent I had, kind dumb I know, but it was still the most recent pic haha

Strength and power obviously won’t hurt my game, I don’t think I said that it would, but like I said in a previous post, being a tall, fairly slow guy, I need to make sure I don’t put on too much weight and slow myself down any more than I already do.

[quote]soccerpro6 wrote:
as a 6’3 Center mid/center back who is slow to begin with, adding too much mass is only going to slow me down even more.[/quote]

This just in… adding muscle mass makes you slow! It’s true!

Did you learn that over at the BB.com forums?

[quote]soccerpro6 wrote:
Thanks to the post about this not being “rate my body compared to a body builder”, that was the point I was trying to make earlier.

And in regards to the post about being lean and playing soccer…

Yes, Maradona was short and pudgy (especially now, what a mess!) and Rooney is an absolute monster, but as a 6’3 Center mid/center back who is slow to begin with, adding too much mass is only going to slow me down even more. I’m not the fastest guy in the world, but I do base much of my play around being physical. That being said, I still do need to be fairly light on my feet. The top pro’s like Rooney, who are stocky, are also not normally on the tall side. Of course you have exceptions, but the majority of bigger (in terms of musclucar build) are shorter. Look at Christiano Ronaldo, probably one of the fittest players in the game (regardless of what you may think of him as a player), and he is built fairly similar to me in that he is very lean.

Like I said, it obviously pays to be strong, but you also need to be light on your feet, 15 years of playing has taught me that. If I get much over 210lbs, I start to slow down, so I try to stay between 190 and 200.

But I do agree with you in just about everything you said, and in fact you don’t have to be lean to be a great player, but in my case, being tall and not that fast to begin with, I just have to make sure I keep my gains under control (not that thats a problem, tough to pack on tons of weight on a 6’3 frame haha)

But I do appreciate your post, nice to hear from someone who knows the game[/quote]
No problem.

There was just an article posted yesterday. If your worried that much about being light on your feet or your “explosiveness” - speed off the mark. Check this out Contrast Training for Strength, Size, and Power

Obviously that is more for MMA fighters in terms of full body, but it will still help soccer players, especially the jump squats. In addition, might as focus on some agility and plyometric exercises so you don’t lose your edge. Also, you’re coach should hopefully be building some type of HIIT training in your training sessions besides the old 12km runs at one speed.

I left the sport altogether because my my coaches put together training sessions that made no sense, and as a result we lost a lot of games. I’ve become a much better player physically when I look after myself I find. You just don’t have people pushing you there is all.

soccerpro6 wrote:
as a 6’3 Center mid/center back who is slow to begin with, adding too much mass is only going to slow me down even more.

The amount of mass you’d add wouldn’t slow you down broseph

Elliott, I could watch your avatar all day. Sweet Jesus.

[quote]CrookedCrown wrote:
Elliott, I could watch your avatar all day. Sweet Jesus. [/quote]

[quote]CrookedCrown wrote:
soccerpro6 wrote:
as a 6’3 Center mid/center back who is slow to begin with, adding too much mass is only going to slow me down even more.

Did you learn that over at the BB.com forums? [/quote]

Adding weight is going to make you slower after you reach a certain point. That point for me happens to be around 210, I’ve experimented with it and know that it’s the point where I start to slow down.

Mile times during the last two years:
Weight Time
180 5:46
185 5:44
195 5:43
205 5:51
210 5:58

And I was in very good shape aerobically throughout. Obviously the weight might not be the only reason, but it does seem to be a factor.

I’m not trying to argue whether gaining weight is going to slow me down or not, because I know the answer to that. I am at a weight I want to be at right now, and just wanted to get opinions on how I looked.

No problem.

There was just an article posted yesterday. If your worried that much about being light on your feet or your “explosiveness” - speed off the mark. Check this out Contrast Training for Strength, Size, and Power

Obviously that is more for MMA fighters in terms of full body, but it will still help soccer players, especially the jump squats. In addition, might as focus on some agility and plyometric exercises so you don’t lose your edge. Also, you’re coach should hopefully be building some type of HIIT training in your training sessions besides the old 12km runs at one speed.

I left the sport altogether because my my coaches put together training sessions that made no sense, and as a result we lost a lot of games. I’ve become a much better player physically when I look after myself I find. You just don’t have people pushing you there is all.[/quote]

I totally hear you in terms of having bad coaching. My current coaching staff is really fantastic though. My head coach Coached Christiano Ronaldo when he was 16 as an assistant and played pro ball in Europe, our assistant played with Pele’ and his supporting cast back in the day when he was with the Cosmo’s, our second assistant has his UEFA lisence and is a former player from overseas, and our keeper coach played 4 years in the MLS. I am pretty lucky, because I hear horror stories about coaching staffs and the crap they put teams through.

I disagree you don’t need to be smaller but you don’t want to be bigger, go and tell Van Basten and mark vidkuka that big solid guys cant play FOOTBALL

Sign for Arsenal, in need of defensive midfielder.

You can be big and be really fast at the same time, but I dont know how it will affect stamina/endurance.
I like to play soccer recreationally and I am well beyond 230 and fast and explosive, but technique and endurance is a problem, lol.

Overall for a soccer player this is just good.

Actually, if he’s 210 getting more mass won’t do him much for soccer…

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Actually, if he’s 210 getting more mass won’t do him much for soccer…[/quote]

right, but i think some squats and olympic lifts wouldn’t hurt… however, i can’t really say anything about soccer because it doesn’t interest me at all… but i can imagine that a soccer player would benefit from lots of explosiveness and speed.

[quote]soccerpro6 wrote:
I just posted this hear to get peoples opinions, nothing else. I’m not trying to be a body builder, just trying to keep a good looking body without getting too big for my sport.

One of the best ways to gauge how someone is doing is to ask others, and I see a lot of people on this site that just go around and bash people haha I don’t really mind and it’s funny at times, but I just wanted to get peoples opinions on how I looked, keeping in mind I am not trying to be a body builder.

Thanks for the looks!
[/quote]

So since you don’t want to look like a BB it’s safe to assume you don’t want to be rated based on BB standards.

That means you just want random guys on the internet to look at your body and tell you if they think its nice.
Whatever youre into…

[quote]jb413 wrote:
In fairness, this is ‘rate my physique’, not ‘rate me with regard to bodybuilding’…it ultimately comes down to rating according to what your goals are IMO.

Anyhow, with that in mind, for a semi-pro soccer player, yeah, pretty decent.

JB[/quote]

You have it completely backwards.

Congratulations on completely failing to comprehend the point of this forum.

[quote]soccerpro6 wrote:
CrookedCrown wrote:
soccerpro6 wrote:

Did you learn that over at the BB.com forums?

Adding weight is going to make you slower after you reach a certain point. That point for me happens to be around 210, I’ve experimented with it and know that it’s the point where I start to slow down.

Mile times during the last two years:
Weight Time
180 5:46
185 5:44
195 5:43
205 5:51
210 5:58

And I was in very good shape aerobically throughout. Obviously the weight might not be the only reason, but it does seem to be a factor.

I’m not trying to argue whether gaining weight is going to slow me down or not, because I know the answer to that. I am at a weight I want to be at right now, and just wanted to get opinions on how I looked.[/quote]

When I used to fight, if I got too heavy, even if it was all muscle, my speed suffered, not just hand speed but total foot and body speed, so I can relate to your point. That being said, you posted in RMP on a bodybuilding forum, so you can’t be surprised that everyone thinks you look too skinny and little.

Well it looks like you’re lucky in terms of resources you can draw feedback and information from. I only really have a college coach who visits Toronto FC irregularly and a former Transmere Rovers player with a UEFA B licence.

I don’t think you really need our opinions, just go with what they say, and do it to your best. It’s not like the pro players do anything spectacular, just the basics extremely well. GL.

why is your name “soccerpro6” when you are semi-pro? That’s pretty misleading man…