Selling/Parking Domains

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
I’m constantly striving for ways to make money. When I’m not at work, working out, or spending time with friends and family, I am usually on the computer researching ways to get more money.

What a life.

Was that sarcastic?

It was sarcastic, but I didn’t really intend it as a personal jab. Just, it’s not the life for me.

What’s not the life for you, lifting?, chilling with your friends? having a job? or trying to make money?

I’m a college student, it’s my summer, I have a lot of free time. I’d rather try to make money than watch TV.

I also hang out with firends/family, and work out over my making money ventures, but seriously people get put down for trying to get big/strong and now for trying to make money. What a load of shit.

Austin, I wouldn’t even bother explaining myself to somebody like this.

Anyway, do you need to pay for hosting as well at this point? I imagine getting traffic to a website with nothing but ads on it pretty close to impossible unless you post the links here or something. I’ve spent a fair bit of time and money trying to find ways to make money online, haven’t really suceeded though.

I heard of people buying and selling domains, and in some cases they make huge and easy profits, but its not very consistant.[/quote]

I haven’t paid for any hosting. I’ve been kind of spamming my facebook page and will be doing the same on youtube and other forums. We’ll see how it goes. I will also eventually pay to have my domain(s) put on the front page of the website it costs 9 dollars per day I think.

And yeah, this is only to try to make extra cash.

[quote]JN7844 wrote:
Interesting stuff. I’m guessing the revenue during parking will usually be pretty minimal, but there’s no doubt you can make a shitload selling domains. You mentioned 70.com… that useless crap (in my opinion) jumped up to $55,000 and still has 35 hours left until the auction ends.

Question: Does a buyer have to prove available funds before they place a bid on an open auction?[/quote]

Yeah there is a pretty heavy certification process requiring a few forms of identification if your going ot be a large buyer $10,000 and over. If you plan on buying any domains $100,000 and over you need to put down a $1000 deposit. Legal action will also be taken if you bid and don’t plan on paying.

I totally agree as well, the money is definately not in the parking but instead the selling, but it just makes more sense to try and make some cash while you are selling.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
JN7844 wrote:
Interesting stuff. I’m guessing the revenue during parking will usually be pretty minimal, but there’s no doubt you can make a shitload selling domains. You mentioned 70.com… that useless crap (in my opinion) jumped up to $55,000 and still has 35 hours left until the auction ends.

Question: Does a buyer have to prove available funds before they place a bid on an open auction?

Yeah there is a pretty heavy certification process requiring a few forms of identification if your going ot be a large buyer $10,000 and over. If you plan on buying any domains $100,000 and over you need to put down a $1000 deposit. Legal action will also be taken if you bid and don’t plan on paying.

I totally agree as well, the money is definately not in the parking but instead the selling, but it just makes more sense to try and make some cash while you are selling.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I’m going to start messing around with Godaddy and see what domain names I can come up with.

[quote]stokedporcupine8 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
I’m constantly striving for ways to make money. When I’m not at work, working out, or spending time with friends and family, I am usually on the computer researching ways to get more money.

What a life.

Was that sarcastic?

It was sarcastic, but I didn’t really intend it as a personal jab. Just, it’s not the life for me.

What’s not the life for you, lifting?, chilling with your friends? having a job? or trying to make money?

I’m a college student, it’s my summer, I have a lot of free time. I’d rather try to make money than watch TV.

I also hang out with firends/family, and work out over my making money ventures, but seriously people get put down for trying to get big/strong and now for trying to make money. What a load of shit.

lol, well, you have to admit the opening line of your original post is a bit humorous in that it gives the impression that your life revolves around making money. Of course I’m not saying that your life does… I don’t know you that well. All I meant by saying that “it’s not the life for me” was that a life that revolves around money isn’t for me. I’m not putting you down for wanting to make money.

I too am a college student–well, a graduate student–and funny enough this summer I have a lot of free time since I’m not working. I spend most of my free time continuing to do the same sort of research I do during the school year. I mainly read and write. Of course I do other things as well–lift, hang out with friends, etc.

I’m just not very concerned about making money. As long as I have enough money to maintain some minimal standard of living and a job that makes me happy, I’m fine.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with all your money? Money is never an end, only a means. [/quote]

Maybe I was just cranky beofre.

Listen bro if I was told today that I was going to struggle to put food on my table day in and day out, yet I was coming home to a supportive and beautiful wife as well as children, had great friends and family (which I already do), and was able to do the things I love to do ie. lifting, sex, hunting, boating etc. I will be an accomplished man. My dream is to also become an IFBB professional bodybuilder.

But hey extra cash helps in life and if I also was told I could do all the things above plus live in an estate and drive lamborghinis I’d be pretty happy too. As long as I make my money in a positive way, a way which would make God proud, I’ll make as much money as I can without making me miserable or taking away the joys in my life.

I started a big reply on this, but gave up for I thought I’d be flamed for being too negative. This is not a good idea for making money at all on the web for a pile of reasons.

To keep it simple, if you want to make money on the web, find out what sells. In essence, what are the things that people MUST HAVE in both a bear or bull kind of market? Find out what it is that people will always fork over cash for and be willing to wait for a product to arrive due to shipping, as opposed to buying something downtown (a good example here would be supplements).

Some hints: birth, life, death, sex, religion, food, water, and waste

Tap into one of those and you should have a gold mine, but the last 2 you better be really unique as most folks will go downtown for it and not wait for their order to show up.

Maybe I was just cranky beofre.

Listen bro if I was told today that I was going to struggle to put food on my table day in and day out, yet I was coming home to a supportive and beautiful wife as well as children, had great friends and family (which I already do), and was able to do the things I love to do ie. lifting, sex, hunting, boating etc. I will be an accomplished man. My dream is to also become an IFBB professional bodybuilder.

But hey extra cash helps in life and if I also was told I could do all the things above plus live in an estate and drive lamborghinis I’d be pretty happy too. As long as I make my money in a positive way, a way which would make God proud, I’ll make as much money as I can without making me miserable or taking away the joys in my life.[/quote]

That’s ok, maybe the lack of context ruined the joke. Tone and inflection don’t come across well on the interwebz.

I wish you the best of luck though in all this. I must agree that if I could live the life I want AND on top of that get lots of cool stuff I would. I know though that probably won’t happen for me, lol. I might also be a bit too optimistic about my own future. Perhaps I should care a little more about money now, instead of assuming I’ll always have a reasonable flow of income.

[quote]Smallfry69 wrote:
I started a big reply on this, but gave up for I thought I’d be flamed for being too negative. This is not a good idea for making money at all on the web for a pile of reasons.

To keep it simple, if you want to make money on the web, find out what sells. In essence, what are the things that people MUST HAVE in both a bear or bull kind of market? Find out what it is that people will always fork over cash for and be willing to wait for a product to arrive due to shipping, as opposed to buying something downtown (a good example here would be supplements).

Some hints: birth, life, death, sex, religion, food, water, and waste

Tap into one of those and you should have a gold mine, but the last 2 you better be really unique as most folks will go downtown for it and not wait for their order to show up.[/quote]

Hey dude, to each is own, but I’d rather go down trying then to have never have tried at all because not knowing whether or not I could have made it is a much larger burden to bear than failing while trying my hardest.

I’ve delved into sites like cashcrate.com where you take surveys for money, but it isn’t too promising because it take so much time just to make even a few bucks.

Now I’m interested in creating, selling, and parking domain names.

Creating them is easy.

Selling them on a site such as sedo.com is even easier.

However, the great thing is parking. You can park sites for free and let people advertise off of them. Every time an advertisement gets clicked, you get paid. I think that’s awesome. I’m buying .coms that I will never use but while they are vacant I can park them and earn money.

Sites likes these

talkstrength.com
listentrance.com
mesloppy.com
stackcheeze.com

They’re all for sale but those people have parked them so that when you click on advertisements they get paid.

I’m really just curious to see if anyone has made some substantial money doing this. If so can you offer and good tips?[/quote]

Just a piece of advice… change urls you posted to clickable links…
The value of your domains are also related to how many sites link to your domains. I’m not sure if the way you posted those domains it will count.

[quote]lildave wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

I’ve delved into sites like cashcrate.com where you take surveys for money, but it isn’t too promising because it take so much time just to make even a few bucks.

Creating them is easy.

However, the great thing is parking. You can park sites for free and let people advertise off of them. Every time an advertisement gets clicked, you get paid. I think that’s awesome. I’m buying .coms that I will never use but while they are vacant I can park them and earn money.

Sites likes these

talkstrength.com
listentrance.com
mesloppy.com
stackcheeze.com

They’re all for sale but those people have parked them so that when you click on advertisements they get paid.

I’m really just curious to see if anyone has made some substantial money doing this. If so can you offer and good tips?

The value of your domains are also related to how many sites link to your domains. I’m not sure if the way you posted those domains it will count.
[/quote]

Do you know what I have to type to make them URL’s, I tried I also put www. in front of them but it didn’t work either.

I just bought punchperezhiltonintheface.com

lildave wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

Creating them is easy.

Sites likes these

talkstrength.com
listentrance.com
mesloppy.com
stackcheeze.com

I’m really just curious to see if anyone has made some substantial money doing this. If so can you offer and good tips?

Do you know what I have to type to make them URL’s, I tried I also put www. in front of them but it didn’t work either.[/quote]

I think you just need the ‘http://’ in front:

http://talkstrength.com
http://listentrance.com
http://mesloppy.com
http://stackcheeze.com

Yup, that works. I didn’t even have to go to UoP for that one.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
I just bought punchperezhiltonintheface.com [/quote]

Lol. I think he already got punched in the face this past weekend, I’m sure alot of people would love to hit him though.

[quote]stokedporcupine8 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
lildave wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

Creating them is easy.

Sites likes these

talkstrength.com
listentrance.com
mesloppy.com
stackcheeze.com

Do you know what I have to type to make them URL’s, I tried I also put www. in front of them but it didn’t work either.

I think you just need the ‘http://’ in front:

http://talkstrength.com
http://listentrance.com
http://mesloppy.com
http://stackcheeze.com

Yup, that works. I didn’t even have to go to UoP for that one. [/quote]

Yeah I figured that shit like 2 seconds after my post lol, but thanks anyways.

Hmmm. Does it cost much to register the domain name in the first place? Like to initially create the domain name?

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Hmmm. Does it cost much to register the domain name in the first place? Like to initially create the domain name?[/quote]

Like I said before it is 10 bucks for .com’s. It’s also different prices for .net .info etc etc.

I want to throw an update out.

Made a couple bucks from the parking.

However, as I’m falling asleep on my couch I recieve an e-mail from a gentleman that wants to purchase my domain http://www.stackcheeze.com, he also mentioned he’d be interested in seeing if I had any other names for sale.

I’ll give another update on what price we settle at.

Domain parkers are like the lowest parasites known to man. Honest web designers want to make a goddamn beautiful site for the world to enjoy and see, and then some meathead low life, is sitting on it and barking, 10,000$ for some shit he isn’t even using anyways.

Seriously, instead of doing this, go get a lobotomy, or maybe just kill yourself. You’d be alot more useful to society that way.

OP, I used to work for a VERY BIG domain registrar and talked with THOUSANDS of people who invested in domains like you are discussing. The reality is that the market is very speculative and I cannot tell you how many customer’s accounts I saw that had hundreds if not thousands of domains and very rarely did they make much money.

What makes a domain valuable is the amount of traffic that it receives, and driving traffic to any particular domain or website is an art in itself.

Unless you are promoting a product / service of your own to sell, driving traffic to your parked domains only to receive pay per click ad revenue IMO isn’t worth the hassle or the expense.

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
Domain parkers are like the lowest parasites known to man. Honest web designers want to make a goddamn beautiful site for the world to enjoy and see, and then some meathead low life, is sitting on it and barking, 10,000$ for some shit he isn’t even using anyways.

[/quote]

If I buy 50 acres of obscure Sonoran Desert for $50,000, then sell it a year later for $1,000,000 to some developer that wants to build a retirement community and golf course, does that make me scum too? Or just a savvy investor?

What’s the difference?

[quote]JN7844 wrote:
SpartanX wrote:

If I buy 50 acres of obscure Sonoran Desert for $50,000, then sell it a year later for $1,000,000 to some developer that wants to build a retirement community and golf course, does that make me scum too? Or just a savvy investor?

What’s the difference?[/quote]

None really. I think that guy is confusing domain squatting with what the OP is doing. Domain squatting is illegal.