Selling Out

Interesting thread, I think this is a good example of this type of situation
from Bigger, Stronger, Faster (great documentary IMO)

I’ve often thought about this. The thing is, you don’t even have to promote something that DOESN’T work; you can just slap your name on an old training method and promote it as the new big thing. Thank you crossfit for making it impossible to do complexes without every young dude in the gym going “Hey, are you doing crossfit?”

All you have to do is invent a new point system, throw some new words in there, and sell an old concept with a bunch of hot, tanned, muscled bodies. The fitness business is amazing.

You could even make your own supplement, out of regular things that thousands of other supplements offer, sell it with a system of old ideas that have been working for people for years with your name on it, and get rich.

If you’re selling people on things that don’t work in the fitness business, you’re unnecessarily limiting your potential.

[quote]Bujo wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
If someone offered me an exorbitant wad of cash to sell ab crunchers to overweight housewives, I doubt I would turn it down.

I would draw the line on something I consider harmful however. For instance, I think there’s plenty of money to be had selling creationism/Intelligent design as science to gullible Christians.

Ben Stein did it with his documentary Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed and it made $4,000,000+ at the box office.

[/quote]

Why not? Micheal Moore has made a life style of peddling massive piles of bullshit.

If people keep buying it, I say keep shoveling it.[/quote]

Nah, my morals kick in and I wouldn’t be able to sell something I thought was causing physical or mental harm.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
You have to actually accomplish something to sell out.

That aside, there have been several posters on here who do or have done fitness modeling and product promotion. I don’t think it is selling out though. It is more like a career to them than the purposeful infliction of bitter disillusionment and jealousy that some people experience when they see an ad for fitness junk.

I can’t remember who they are, but they did seem to have a pretty good perspective on this subject.

*edit- I’d do it just to see the hot womens jiggle their girly parts in a sports bra!
[/quote]

Honesty in all your affairs, eh?

You know, I get that people who work in the fitness industry are faced with this dilemma and all that shit, but that doesn’t mean anything. There’s no rule that says that maintaining your dignity and being honest in inimical to success in the fitness industry. And if “selling out” thru the promotion of bullshit products really is unavoidable in the fitness industry, well, that doesn’t mean shit to me, either. If that really were the case, then I would not have any sympathy or understanding for someone who enters that industry.[/quote]

This is nothing more than pretentious bullshit. Aren’t you from a family of means? If so, what the fuck do you know?

Try telling your family of 4 that you won’t promote a fitness product because it would take away your “dignity.” LOL

I’m not surprised someone from a privileged background would think something as stupid as this.[/quote]

Oh, get it over dude. Yeah, I come from a “privileged” background. So what? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You really think any of these fitness celebrities are endorsing products to millions of people on TV because it’s the only way they can put food in their mouths? Come off it, man. If a guy has mouths to feed and that’s the ONLY way, then fine. But it NEVER is, Raj. It never is the only way.

I guess since you aren’t perceptive I’ll further spell out my feelings on the matter. If someone endorses shit because they NEED the money and it’s the only source of income, fine. Consider your dignity intact. But for someone who endorses the shit simply because someone is willing to pay them and they and/or their children are going to eat that night regardless of the endorsement, your dignity is gone.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
You have to actually accomplish something to sell out.

That aside, there have been several posters on here who do or have done fitness modeling and product promotion. I don’t think it is selling out though. It is more like a career to them than the purposeful infliction of bitter disillusionment and jealousy that some people experience when they see an ad for fitness junk.

I can’t remember who they are, but they did seem to have a pretty good perspective on this subject.

*edit- I’d do it just to see the hot womens jiggle their girly parts in a sports bra!
[/quote]

Honesty in all your affairs, eh?

You know, I get that people who work in the fitness industry are faced with this dilemma and all that shit, but that doesn’t mean anything. There’s no rule that says that maintaining your dignity and being honest in inimical to success in the fitness industry. And if “selling out” thru the promotion of bullshit products really is unavoidable in the fitness industry, well, that doesn’t mean shit to me, either. If that really were the case, then I would not have any sympathy or understanding for someone who enters that industry.[/quote]

Progress, not Perfection. Besides that, do you doubt my claim to want to see jiggly girly parts?

Also, as I pointed out in the previous post, most of the people in these ads are models, not fitness experts. One day they are shaking a dumbell thingy, the next day they are wearing some type of clothing in a shoot etc. As models, they are successful and honest. They are showing the actual product in use. It is the viewing public that draws conclusions about the viability of the product.

Even someone like Randy Coture pimping a product like the doorjamb thingy may look absolutely ridiculous and utterly dishonest, but does he say he actually used it to become champion? Does the commercial actually show him using the thing?

Also, who is to say that product X will not “get you into the best shape of your life”? Because seriously, if a person believes that claim, they have obviously never been in very good shape. Using virtually any gimmick most likely would get the person who believes that into the best shape of their life, because the only shape they have ever been in is globular.
[/quote]

Well, don’t quote me, but I’m pretty sure Couture DOES give credit to some extent to his doorjam thingy. I’m sure I’ve seen other examples that don’t come to mind right now.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
People peddle products they don’t use in real life every day. For most of the people you see in commercials, it’s their career. Very few have the luxury of turning down what is both a paid gig AND a possible break in a very competitive industry.

If they don’t take the chance, somebody else will. Having a good physique doesn’t change that.

Although it doesn’t seem like it, the actor or model you see on TV isn’t selling out. From an advertising point of view, a script will treat any performer as either playing a character or just demonstrating the product: even when it’s a celebrity endorsing a product, they are considered to be playing a version of themselves, as opposed to promoting it AS themselves (in which case they wouldn’t take payment, as the product is so good they just have to tell everyone about it for free) .

[/quote]

excellent point;

there is a difference between “endorsing” a product and being an actor (whether fitness model or not) in a commercial.

endorsement either expressly or implicitly implies that the endorser uses the product or vouches for it’s quality and effectiveness. an actor is just working. [/quote]

But I get where the OP is coming from

the commercial for “the rack” where the guy who apparently developed it, patented it, and is promoting it claims to have built his physique with. I assume that’s not a 100% lie, but it’s not a 100% truth either. He doesnt say he’s never stepped foot in a gym but he wants the uninformed audience to belive that when he implies it.

Whatever, a sucker is born every minute. Not a big deal to me. [/quote]

is he “endorsing” or “acting” though? I believe there is a distinction and his falls under “endorsement”. In my opinion, the ethic of endorsement are very different from acting or modeling. Ethics can be applied to the former, the latter is just paid work.
[/quote]

It normally becomes an endorsement when the individual doing the advertising identifies themself by their full name, usually through an introductory statement. There is a gray area where, for example, a guy called Dave may be playing a character also called Dave, but he isn’t representing himself.

If ‘Rack guy’ owns the patent he has a personal stake in it, so he’s going to commit himself to promoting it as efficiently as he can. I think they will throw out the ethical rule book for endorsing their own product. I skimmed the website and ‘The Rack’ is designed to hold custom-made weights only:

[quote]
Q. Can I use store brought weights with the Rack?

A. No, the Rackâ??s 5LB weights were made specifically for the Rack to fit nice and tight.[/quote]

Guess where you buy them from…

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
So I was getting some food with my training partner and a commercial for some stupid new workout gidget came on that wouldn’t build anyone a decent body whatsoever. The guy in the video had a good physique and had obviously spent some time under heavy iron.

It made me wonder if I could sell out like that and star in a commercial making it look like some silly gadget built my body. My training partner said he would in heartbeat but I’m not sure if I would… If you were paid (and how much?) would you guys star in a commercial for something like the shake weight?

[/quote]

got guys doing it here basically for a plane trip and some “exposure”.

people come cheap. [/quote]

If that’s an allusion to Indigo, you may want to try it before you knock it.

Just sayin’.[/quote]

Well then perhaps some critical thinking would be in order first in terms of evaluating it.

I don’t care if you give someone sugar pills; if you put them on a training and diet program, it begs the question whether it’s the supplement or the training and diet program. Brilliant sleight of hand actually - but I’m a critical thinker. I mean seriously; imagine people getting results by changing their training and diet! It’s a breakthrough!!@! LOL

Show me some double blind, controlled studies by a third party University and I might be inclined to “try it before you knock it”.

Until then, I’ll stick to Boron thank you very much.

Just sayin’ :slight_smile:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
So I was getting some food with my training partner and a commercial for some stupid new workout gidget came on that wouldn’t build anyone a decent body whatsoever. The guy in the video had a good physique and had obviously spent some time under heavy iron.

It made me wonder if I could sell out like that and star in a commercial making it look like some silly gadget built my body. My training partner said he would in heartbeat but I’m not sure if I would… If you were paid (and how much?) would you guys star in a commercial for something like the shake weight?

[/quote]

got guys doing it here basically for a plane trip and some “exposure”.

people come cheap. [/quote]

If that’s an allusion to Indigo, you may want to try it before you knock it.

Just sayin’.[/quote]

Well then perhaps some critical thinking would be in order first in terms of evaluating it.

I don’t care if you give someone sugar pills; if you put them on a training and diet program, it begs the question whether it’s the supplement or the training and diet program. Brilliant sleight of hand actually - but I’m a critical thinker. I mean seriously; imagine people getting results by changing their training and diet! It’s a breakthrough!!@! LOL

Show me some double blind, controlled studies by a third party University and I might be inclined to “try it before you knock it”.

Until then, I’ll stick to Boron thank you very much.

Just sayin’ :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Fair enough, I guess.

But I personally changed nothing but the Indigo, and saw some significant body comp changes.

Maybe I’ll bring you some when I come. Trade you for Boron? :-)[/quote]

sounds like a fair exchange to me :slight_smile:

I’ll even buy you a beer!

LOL

on a serious note, looking forward to seeing you.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
I could never get behind a product I didn’t truly believe worked.[/quote]

Don’t you use a Windows phone AND own Apple stock? cmon man :wink:

You think you are the first one to sell hope amigo? 100s (x thousands) of people are doing it all day every day. Some get degrees but top recognized universities to do so.
If you product helps 10 out of a thousand thats still good that it helps. Px90, shakeweights, insanity, crossfit, bodybuilding whatever boat you wana float we can stand back and look at it and say"its bullshit and a waste of time and xyz" because we “Know better” but really if that bullshit-waste-of-time gets some fat stay at home mom off her ass and reduces he diabetes symptoms then its still good.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
I could never get behind a product I didn’t truly believe worked.[/quote]

Don’t you use a Windows phone AND own Apple stock? cmon man ;)[/quote]

Haha, you got me there.

If people would listen to me I’d do it for free just to screw with their heads.

For money? Sure. So long as it didn’t ruin my chances for employment later. What I mean is if you are famous, then do some silly infomercials for quick cash then try to go back to looking respectable you may have trouble, but if I were some ripped, muscular yet faceless fitness model then absolutely.