T Nation

Selling Out


#1

So I was getting some food with my training partner and a commercial for some stupid new workout gidget came on that wouldn't build anyone a decent body whatsoever. The guy in the video had a good physique and had obviously spent some time under heavy iron.

It made me wonder if I could sell out like that and star in a commercial making it look like some silly gadget built my body. My training partner said he would in heartbeat but I'm not sure if I would... If you were paid (and how much?) would you guys star in a commercial for something like the shake weight?


#2

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
So I was getting some food with my training partner and a commercial for some stupid new workout gidget came on that wouldn’t build anyone a decent body whatsoever. The guy in the video had a good physique and had obviously spent some time under heavy iron.

It made me wonder if I could sell out like that and star in a commercial making it look like some silly gadget built my body. My training partner said he would in heartbeat but I’m not sure if I would… If you were paid (and how much?) would you guys star in a commercial for something like the shake weight?

[/quote]

Why don’t you just skip all the fluff and bullshit and drivel about the ShakeWeight or whatever and just ask us all what the going rate for our dignity is? That’s all someone is doing when they sell a product that they KNOW is useless horseshit. Selling their dignity. At a high price sometimes, but you can’t use that money to buy your dignity back.


#3

Hmmm.

Its not like your selling your soul, shaming your family or passing over secrets to the Russians. In this coomercial do you have to make the claim that this is the only exercise you do?

If people are stupid enough to beleive it, then its their problem. Ill do it for it a hundred bucks.

tweet


#4

Man, I would do it for a hot meal.


#5

People peddle products they don’t use in real life every day. For most of the people you see in commercials, it’s their career. Very few have the luxury of turning down what is both a paid gig AND a possible break in a very competitive industry.

If they don’t take the chance, somebody else will. Having a good physique doesn’t change that.

Although it doesn’t seem like it, the actor or model you see on TV isn’t selling out. From an advertising point of view, a script will treat any performer as either playing a character or just demonstrating the product: even when it’s a celebrity endorsing a product, they are considered to be playing a version of themselves, as opposed to promoting it AS themselves (in which case they wouldn’t take payment, as the product is so good they just have to tell everyone about it for free) .


#6

I guess it depends. I mean just because YOU don’t use it doesn’t mean the item a worthless piece of crap. There are numerous products out there that are neutral, and so hawking them in a commercial isn’t necessarily selling out.

However, when we are asked to convey an obvious falsehood (i.e. that a shake weight will make you look awesome), I wouldn’t be able to to it because it’d be lying to everyone.


#7

I could never get behind a product I didn’t truly believe worked.


#8

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
So I was getting some food with my training partner and a commercial for some stupid new workout gidget came on that wouldn’t build anyone a decent body whatsoever. The guy in the video had a good physique and had obviously spent some time under heavy iron.

It made me wonder if I could sell out like that and star in a commercial making it look like some silly gadget built my body. My training partner said he would in heartbeat but I’m not sure if I would… If you were paid (and how much?) would you guys star in a commercial for something like the shake weight?

[/quote]

got guys doing it here basically for a plane trip and some “exposure”.

people come cheap.


#9

[quote]roybot wrote:
People peddle products they don’t use in real life every day. For most of the people you see in commercials, it’s their career. Very few have the luxury of turning down what is both a paid gig AND a possible break in a very competitive industry.

If they don’t take the chance, somebody else will. Having a good physique doesn’t change that.

Although it doesn’t seem like it, the actor or model you see on TV isn’t selling out. From an advertising point of view, a script will treat any performer as either playing a character or just demonstrating the product: even when it’s a celebrity endorsing a product, they are considered to be playing a version of themselves, as opposed to promoting it AS themselves (in which case they wouldn’t take payment, as the product is so good they just have to tell everyone about it for free) .

[/quote]

excellent point;

there is a difference between “endorsing” a product and being an actor (whether fitness model or not) in a commercial.

endorsement either expressly or implicitly implies that the endorser uses the product or vouches for it’s quality and effectiveness. an actor is just working.


#10

You have to actually accomplish something to sell out.

That aside, there have been several posters on here who do or have done fitness modeling and product promotion. I don’t think it is selling out though. It is more like a career to them than the purposeful infliction of bitter disillusionment and jealousy that some people experience when they see an ad for fitness junk.

I can’t remember who they are, but they did seem to have a pretty good perspective on this subject.

*edit- I’d do it just to see the hot womens jiggle their girly parts in a sports bra!


#11

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hmmm.

Its not like your selling your soul, shaming your family or passing over secrets to the Russians. In this coomercial do you have to make the claim that this is the only exercise you do?

If people are stupid enough to beleive it, then its their problem. Ill do it for it a hundred bucks.

tweet[/quote]

You would knowingly lie to millions of people and destroy your credibility for a hundred bucks? You know, just because you’re upfront about your willingness to sell yourself out doesn’t mean that there’s anything more dignified about it.


#12

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
You have to actually accomplish something to sell out.

That aside, there have been several posters on here who do or have done fitness modeling and product promotion. I don’t think it is selling out though. It is more like a career to them than the purposeful infliction of bitter disillusionment and jealousy that some people experience when they see an ad for fitness junk.

I can’t remember who they are, but they did seem to have a pretty good perspective on this subject.

*edit- I’d do it just to see the hot womens jiggle their girly parts in a sports bra!
[/quote]

Honesty in all your affairs, eh?

You know, I get that people who work in the fitness industry are faced with this dilemma and all that shit, but that doesn’t mean anything. There’s no rule that says that maintaining your dignity and being honest in inimical to success in the fitness industry. And if “selling out” thru the promotion of bullshit products really is unavoidable in the fitness industry, well, that doesn’t mean shit to me, either. If that really were the case, then I would not have any sympathy or understanding for someone who enters that industry.


#13

If someone offered me an exorbitant wad of cash to sell ab crunchers to overweight housewives, I doubt I would turn it down.

I would draw the line on something I consider harmful however. For instance, I think there’s plenty of money to be had selling creationism/Intelligent design as science to gullible Christians.

Ben Stein did it with his documentary Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed and it made $4,000,000+ at the box office.


#14

[quote]roybot wrote:
People peddle products they don’t use in real life every day.

[/quote]

This.

(psst, I heard those guys in labcoats you see on those commercials for rejuvenation cocktails/pills are not real doctors)


#15

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
People peddle products they don’t use in real life every day. For most of the people you see in commercials, it’s their career. Very few have the luxury of turning down what is both a paid gig AND a possible break in a very competitive industry.

If they don’t take the chance, somebody else will. Having a good physique doesn’t change that.

Although it doesn’t seem like it, the actor or model you see on TV isn’t selling out. From an advertising point of view, a script will treat any performer as either playing a character or just demonstrating the product: even when it’s a celebrity endorsing a product, they are considered to be playing a version of themselves, as opposed to promoting it AS themselves (in which case they wouldn’t take payment, as the product is so good they just have to tell everyone about it for free) .

[/quote]

excellent point;

there is a difference between “endorsing” a product and being an actor (whether fitness model or not) in a commercial.

endorsement either expressly or implicitly implies that the endorser uses the product or vouches for it’s quality and effectiveness. an actor is just working. [/quote]

But I get where the OP is coming from

the commercial for “the rack” where the guy who apparently developed it, patented it, and is promoting it claims to have built his physique with. I assume that’s not a 100% lie, but it’s not a 100% truth either. He doesnt say he’s never stepped foot in a gym but he wants the uninformed audience to belive that when he implies it.

Whatever, a sucker is born every minute. Not a big deal to me.


#16

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
You have to actually accomplish something to sell out.

That aside, there have been several posters on here who do or have done fitness modeling and product promotion. I don’t think it is selling out though. It is more like a career to them than the purposeful infliction of bitter disillusionment and jealousy that some people experience when they see an ad for fitness junk.

I can’t remember who they are, but they did seem to have a pretty good perspective on this subject.

*edit- I’d do it just to see the hot womens jiggle their girly parts in a sports bra!
[/quote]

Honesty in all your affairs, eh?

You know, I get that people who work in the fitness industry are faced with this dilemma and all that shit, but that doesn’t mean anything. There’s no rule that says that maintaining your dignity and being honest in inimical to success in the fitness industry. And if “selling out” thru the promotion of bullshit products really is unavoidable in the fitness industry, well, that doesn’t mean shit to me, either. If that really were the case, then I would not have any sympathy or understanding for someone who enters that industry.[/quote]

This is nothing more than pretentious bullshit. Aren’t you from a family of means? If so, what the fuck do you know?

Try telling your family of 4 that you won’t promote a fitness product because it would take away your “dignity.” LOL

I’m not surprised someone from a privileged background would think something as stupid as this.


#17

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
People peddle products they don’t use in real life every day. For most of the people you see in commercials, it’s their career. Very few have the luxury of turning down what is both a paid gig AND a possible break in a very competitive industry.

If they don’t take the chance, somebody else will. Having a good physique doesn’t change that.

Although it doesn’t seem like it, the actor or model you see on TV isn’t selling out. From an advertising point of view, a script will treat any performer as either playing a character or just demonstrating the product: even when it’s a celebrity endorsing a product, they are considered to be playing a version of themselves, as opposed to promoting it AS themselves (in which case they wouldn’t take payment, as the product is so good they just have to tell everyone about it for free) .

[/quote]

excellent point;

there is a difference between “endorsing” a product and being an actor (whether fitness model or not) in a commercial.

endorsement either expressly or implicitly implies that the endorser uses the product or vouches for it’s quality and effectiveness. an actor is just working. [/quote]

But I get where the OP is coming from

the commercial for “the rack” where the guy who apparently developed it, patented it, and is promoting it claims to have built his physique with. I assume that’s not a 100% lie, but it’s not a 100% truth either. He doesnt say he’s never stepped foot in a gym but he wants the uninformed audience to belive that when he implies it.

Whatever, a sucker is born every minute. Not a big deal to me. [/quote]

is he “endorsing” or “acting” though? I believe there is a distinction and his falls under “endorsement”. In my opinion, the ethic of endorsement are very different from acting or modeling. Ethics can be applied to the former, the latter is just paid work.


#18

[quote]therajraj wrote:
If someone offered me an exorbitant wad of cash to sell ab crunchers to overweight housewives, I doubt I would turn it down.

I would draw the line on something I consider harmful however. For instance, I think there’s plenty of money to be had selling creationism/Intelligent design as science to gullible Christians.

Ben Stein did it with his documentary Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed and it made $4,000,000+ at the box office.


[/quote]

Why not? Micheal Moore has made a life style of peddling massive piles of bullshit.

If people keep buying it, I say keep shoveling it.


#19

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
People peddle products they don’t use in real life every day. For most of the people you see in commercials, it’s their career. Very few have the luxury of turning down what is both a paid gig AND a possible break in a very competitive industry.

If they don’t take the chance, somebody else will. Having a good physique doesn’t change that.

Although it doesn’t seem like it, the actor or model you see on TV isn’t selling out. From an advertising point of view, a script will treat any performer as either playing a character or just demonstrating the product: even when it’s a celebrity endorsing a product, they are considered to be playing a version of themselves, as opposed to promoting it AS themselves (in which case they wouldn’t take payment, as the product is so good they just have to tell everyone about it for free) .

[/quote]

excellent point;

there is a difference between “endorsing” a product and being an actor (whether fitness model or not) in a commercial.

endorsement either expressly or implicitly implies that the endorser uses the product or vouches for it’s quality and effectiveness. an actor is just working. [/quote]

But I get where the OP is coming from

the commercial for “the rack” where the guy who apparently developed it, patented it, and is promoting it claims to have built his physique with. I assume that’s not a 100% lie, but it’s not a 100% truth either. He doesnt say he’s never stepped foot in a gym but he wants the uninformed audience to belive that when he implies it.

Whatever, a sucker is born every minute. Not a big deal to me. [/quote]

is he “endorsing” or “acting” though? I believe there is a distinction and his falls under “endorsement”. In my opinion, the ethic of endorsement are very different from acting or modeling. Ethics can be applied to the former, the latter is just paid work.
[/quote]

I dont know.

Depends on perception.

When a guy says “I invented X; I use X; X got me this body; X can do the same for you” it obviously sounds like an endorsement. A self serving one, but still an endorsement.


#20

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
You have to actually accomplish something to sell out.

That aside, there have been several posters on here who do or have done fitness modeling and product promotion. I don’t think it is selling out though. It is more like a career to them than the purposeful infliction of bitter disillusionment and jealousy that some people experience when they see an ad for fitness junk.

I can’t remember who they are, but they did seem to have a pretty good perspective on this subject.

*edit- I’d do it just to see the hot womens jiggle their girly parts in a sports bra!
[/quote]

Honesty in all your affairs, eh?

You know, I get that people who work in the fitness industry are faced with this dilemma and all that shit, but that doesn’t mean anything. There’s no rule that says that maintaining your dignity and being honest in inimical to success in the fitness industry. And if “selling out” thru the promotion of bullshit products really is unavoidable in the fitness industry, well, that doesn’t mean shit to me, either. If that really were the case, then I would not have any sympathy or understanding for someone who enters that industry.[/quote]

Progress, not Perfection. Besides that, do you doubt my claim to want to see jiggly girly parts?

Also, as I pointed out in the previous post, most of the people in these ads are models, not fitness experts. One day they are shaking a dumbell thingy, the next day they are wearing some type of clothing in a shoot etc. As models, they are successful and honest. They are showing the actual product in use. It is the viewing public that draws conclusions about the viability of the product.

Even someone like Randy Coture pimping a product like the doorjamb thingy may look absolutely ridiculous and utterly dishonest, but does he say he actually used it to become champion? Does the commercial actually show him using the thing?

Also, who is to say that product X will not “get you into the best shape of your life”? Because seriously, if a person believes that claim, they have obviously never been in very good shape. Using virtually any gimmick most likely would get the person who believes that into the best shape of their life, because the only shape they have ever been in is globular.