Self-Regulating a Bulk

Flexing or not will not show because of the fat coverage hides what is under. Pulling in our stomach for picture/measuring makes a difference. Like the sad face pre-pic versus the smiling face post-pic are marketing ways to hide the truth influence the buyer or different positioning/angle/lighting/make-up/hair-do.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Flexing or not will not show because of the fat coverage hides what is under. Pulling in our stomach for picture/measuring makes a difference. Like the sad face pre-pic versus the smiling face post-pic are marketing ways to hide the truth influence the buyer or different positioning/angle/lighting/make-up/hair-do.[/quote]

I don’t know? When I am just standing relaxed compared to flexing my abs you can for sure see a change. Now, I do agree that when a person gets to a ‘morbidly’ obese bodyfat% level your statement holds true. But, for LoRez and myself I just wish visual references or the pictures above portraying that 20%-25% level were more acurately shot when compared to the lower % photos. Or, are you saying it is your opinion that 20% and 25% photos individuals are flexing their abs?

It is not important to me. Guessing is just guessing. Anyting over 12% is bad for me. I do not think the accuracy of guessing from someonelse pic is more than ballpark. Being 9 or 11 is relevant when looking at direction, from 11 to 9 good, the other …
Losing an inch is …
I met a 29 yo guy with twice my muscle mass real lean high pressure like a 95 yo, at 55 my high number is 105 to 115 depending on my last meal. My morning hart rate is 44 so he looks better but will likely die 30 years before me. Those numbers count.

I’ve heard Alberto Nunez suggest that folks get into the “hormonal sweet-spot” of around 10-12%, then look at putting on about 2-4lbs per month (for an intermediate trainer). Another way of tracking this approach is to keep body composition the same (in the mirror, pics, etc.) and ensure that weights are going up in the gym.

Maybe this is too conservative for you, or maybe this approach is actually fairly optimal for putting on lean mass. I can’t say, just throwing it out there.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
It is not important to me. Guessing is just guessing. Anyting over 12% is bad for me. I do not think the accuracy of guessing from someonelse pic is more than ballpark. Being 9 or 11 is relevant when looking at direction, from 11 to 9 good, the other …
Losing an inch is …
I met a 29 yo guy with twice my muscle mass real lean high pressure like a 95 yo, at 55 my high number is 105 to 115 depending on my last meal. My morning hart rate is 44 so he looks better but will likely die 30 years before me. Those numbers count.[/quote]

What are you talking about?

This is the BB forum not the “who has a lower systolic blood pressure” forum.

I am not going to win a fight with my genes. I inherited longevity and marathon genes. I am happy with that. I know i will loose most sprints. But i win in some aspects. Just life.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
I am not going to win a fight with my genes. I inherited longevity and marathon genes. I am happy with that. I know i will loose most sprints. But i win in some aspects. Just life.[/quote]

Good for you. Not sure how it’s relevant to bulking, but hooray for your genes.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
You might be reading too much.
Some people are paid to write to sell books/magazines.
The topics like bulking-cutting are great page fillers and supplement selling points.
Anyone bulking who starts that process over single digit is dreaming(get big fast).
We should allways be between 5-15 % in my opinion. My nephew added 40 pounds of muscles never bulking on his 5 9 frame between 18-28 and he laughs at guys training hard. He trains smart never gets injured.
Bulking while juicing is a different subject i guess not for this thread.
It is possible to go from 170 to 170 while gaining 10 pounds of muscles.
When at 5-7 % the energy might be low after a show, not your present concern.
All the best ![/quote]

Holy fuck dude, would you quit posting about your nephew already? He honestly sounds like a prick based on how much time he spends laughing at people who get injured, and his accomplishments have nothing to do with your own.

What have YOU done that is worth posting about?

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Losing an inch is …
I met a 29 yo guy with twice my muscle mass real lean high pressure like a 95 yo, at 55 my high number is 105 to 115 depending on my last meal. My morning hart rate is 44 so he looks better but will likely die 30 years before me. Those numbers count.[/quote]

I really don’t know what youre trying to say? Not trying to be a smart ass. But, isnt going from 9% to 11% but adding inches to your muscles during a bulk, good? I’m happy for you that you have good blood pressure and resting heart rate at your age, but couldn’t you die other ways before him? He might have just bs’d you about his blood pressure, since I would guess you would have had to bring it up. I have never met a 29 yo who brings up blood pressure, unless you are a dr?

We were being tested seating next to each other and the machine beeped because his was too high, this is why i looked at his #.
I meant discussing if someone is 10 or 12 is irrelevant since any knowned method is not that precise. I can say i guess i am 10 but i cannot tell for sure, but knowing me, i know if i am up or down the last 2 months.
You are right about my last day, i have no clue when it will be. I wrote “likely”, like i like my odds. Maybe the BS was about being clean i cannot tell.

next

Deciding if you’re packing on too much pudge is going to come down to two factors:

1-How comfortable you are walking around everyday looking like you do in your current ‘bulked’ state

2-How much honest progress you’re making in terms of LBM and if it is a good enough rationalization for your current softness.

When addressing the first issue, everyone is different. Our goals are different, our insecurities and reasons for training in the first place are different, our lives outside the gym are different. Obviously a typical white collare/office/9-5er is going to have a much different group of peers, and lifestyle than someone who works in a gym setting, or is a college student.

As to the second issue, yes, there is always the hormonal argument. There are certainly enough scientific write ups discussing better insulin sensitivity at leaner body compositions. Not to mention less stress on joints if that’s possibly a concern. Add to that the fact that even as a beginner, fully cashing in on ‘newbie gains’, you’ll still only be able to pack on a finite amount of new lean tissue each month under even the most optimal conditions. Everything gained beyond that genetically determined point is fat, no matter how ‘lean’ you may still appear, that’s just how it is.

Now, if I recall correctly, the original post asked what to do when bulking starts producing too much adipose. In my opinion, the fact that you’re adding fat, amidst what I would assume is at least some muscle in the process, denotes that you’re well beyond covering the total level of calories and nutrients that your body needs.

As such, the degree needed to scale back, ever so slightly, while still making progress would be quite minor indeed. Of course this can be address via intake on off days, cleaning up food sources, targeting carbs a bit better, or even just keeping a log if you’ve been one of the many who just eyeball everything.

S

Google lean gains by 3DMJ naural pro alberto nunez.