T Nation

Self-Made Training Programme

hey, ive a couple years lifting under my belt, and while i dont consider myself a 'functional' training guy, i do want to be strong aswell as big while being at a reasonable bf% (and dont just say oh eat more to grow etc...) ive experimented with my body to find what works for me, and this is the self made training programme im on atm. just if anyone could give me any good advice id much appreciate it :slightly_smiling: oh and i follow a 4 day split

monday - shoulders/tris
Overhead press 5 sets of 3-5 reps
1 armed db press 4 sets of 8 reps
lateral raises 4 sets of 10 reps
shrugs 4 sets of 10 reps
close grip bench press 4 sets of 8 reps

tuesday - back
deadlift 5 sets of 3-6
pull ups 4 sets of 8
bent over rows 4 sets of 8
db rows 4 sets of 10

thursday - chest'bi's
bench press 5 sets of 3-5
incline db press 4 sets of 8
incline db flies 4 sets of 10
weighted dips 4 sets of 8
standing curls 4 sets of 8

friday - legs
squats 5 sets of 3-5 reps
front squat 4 sets of 8
romanian deadlift 4 sets of 8
standing calf raises 4 sets of 15

You need to add a rear delt movement, and an isolation ham movement--either lying or seated leg curls.

Also, I'd sub one of your two squats with leg press.

thanks for the advice :slight_smile: im currently training at a home gym though, so until i go to a proper gym i have no access to a leg press or leg curl machine, however ill add them in as soon as i can

Buy resistance bands for hamstring curls, strength shop have good ones.

Yes! this is a solid split. My favourite 4 day actually. Same one Dorian followed if I remember correctly. Agree with others on the need for rear delt work. Also I would probably add in some more upper back specific work, like CSR. Oh, and some isolation exercise for the triceps. The close grip bench has your medial head covered. The long head is not that active during elbow extension but works more during backward movement of the arm through the shoulder joint since it is attached to the scapula. Something like a pjr pullover hits it good.

out of interest, what set/ rep range would you recommend on triceps if i added pullovers, considering i do 4x8 CGBP? i was thinking of maybe going for more of a pump , like 2 -3 sets of 12 - 15 reps to really smoke the triceps after the close grip benching, since i want to be as strong as possible on that exercise and not pre exhaust the tris

If you want to smoke your tris, do the iso work BEFORE CGBP =)

x2

hamstring are absolutely vital to strength in the posterior chain,

same goes for the rear delts.

Face pulls, band pull aparts, rear delt flies ect should can be added on both your shoulder day and your bench day.

perhaps heavier on your chest day for mass, and lighter on your OH pressing day for scapular stability and glenoid humoral health

Seems like these workouts would take ages!

thanks for the advice jbott, must say since ive started doing RDL'S, not only have i added loads of mass on my hammies, but deadlifts are hugely improving, damn limiting grip strength :frowning: though rear delts dont seem like a weak part for me, dont know if thats all the rowing i do (basically i only have access to free weights due to it being a home gym)

actually these dont take long at all, normally keep rest periods around 90 seconds, and 2 minutes on the big lifts, and rest between exercises just enough to catch my breath. very rarely do my workouts last more then a hour, unless im really dragging my ass

Agreed with the hamstring comments. If you've got a regular training partner you could also consider GHRs.