Self-Destructive Behavior

I know this is off topic, but recently I had a very close friend try to take his own life. It was a very tramautic ordeal for himself, his family, and friends, including myself. I took the news particularly hard.
My whole point is that I implore anyone who has a friend in need, to get them help any way they can. My friend always shunned discussing his feelings and his mental wellbeing with others. He never wanted to deal with his problems. Eventually all of this culminated in his self-destructive behavior.
As a friend, I feel I let him down by not getting him help sooner. I urge anyone who has a loved one or anyone in their life they care about, please get them help if they need it. Thank you.

That sucks man. I hope he gets some help. It would probably be good for you to get some help, too. That’s a major shock.

Why not let him take his own life or TRY doing so?
In my experience,chances are ,if someone wants to commit suicide ,they’ll do it right the first time.
I believe people who take their life for granted don’t have the right to live.
I believe there is a saying by Martin Luther King saying something about a man not having the right to live until he finds something to die for.

It’s cowardly.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
It’s cowardly.[/quote]

Don’t judge until you’ve walked a mile in someone’s shoes. Sometimes people have psychological problems so deep that it can bring them to that point of no return, where they don’t think that there’s any other option.

Sad? Yea. Cowardly? No.

[quote]Drecappa wrote:
I know this is off topic, but recently I had a very close friend try to take his own life. It was a very tramautic ordeal for himself, his family, and friends, including myself. I took the news particularly hard.
My whole point is that I implore anyone who has a friend in need, to get them help any way they can. My friend always shunned discussing his feelings and his mental wellbeing with others. He never wanted to deal with his problems. Eventually all of this culminated in his self-destructive behavior.
As a friend, I feel I let him down by not getting him help sooner. I urge anyone who has a loved one or anyone in their life they care about, please get them help if they need it. Thank you.[/quote]

Don’t blame yourself. There’s certain things that are out of your realm of control…this might have been one of them.

Stay strong. Don’t repeat his mistakes- if you need help, ask someone. Best of luck, man, cause this kind of thing sucks…alot.

Without knowing the circumstances of your friends situation, no judgment can be passed upon him, but in no way did you let your friend down. He?s still here. Which means you can still help him. And he has just made the biggest cry for help known to man. Be strong. Be proud. Live honorably and live with dignity. But most of all, hold on.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
It’s cowardly.[/quote]

No it isnt. I dislike these generalisations towards situations like this. I often feel that these generalisations are a method taken by people who are hurt to distant themselves from the people who have killed themselves or make the option seem less appealing to others who might.

If it was suicide because “my gf left me” then it would be cowardly. But who are you to determine this guys internal state from a single post on the net?

I think that successfully killing yourself is one of the hardest thing you can do. You have to override all your instinctual survive mechanisms. All the things that kick in at the last second to keep the organism alive. This is why people often fail. Even stronger if they fail the first time and have the ability to go back to repeat the experience.

Im not saying its right, god no. Rather its just something people do that requires strong reasons, strong beliefs and is generally demonised in the public because it causes pain. Peoples own pain seems to rank higher then the understanding of why people do these things to begin with and the compassion that should be shown to it.

Well,thats just my opinion.
Any guy ,who is in his right mind,who goes around trying to “knock himself off” doesn’t deserve to live.
Life is so short,it shouldn’t be wasted or taken for granted.
Maybe your little friend needs to realize that.

Dre,

“We all have our own lives to lead too.” That’s what my best friend’s dad told me when I mentioned feeling that I failed my friend by not knowing he was doing drugs before he lost everything. You can’t antipate a lot of what will happen with your close friends. Just make sure they know that you are around any time they may need you. Your post is a good reminder.

X-fator, use some tact next time.

Cthulhu, FFS don’t “contribute” that kind of shit.