Self-Defense: The Right Thing to Do?

some guy in a UPS truck decided when going up a ramp, he didn’t need to pay attention to the other cars already on the road and almost killed me and my dad. Shit like that really pisses me off.

Attack is the best defence

I’ve been in a similar situations when you’re driving and suddenly a car speeds behind you really fast. I don’t know what happened to me that day but I got instantly pissed off like never before. There was only one guy driving so I just moved a little to my right and rolled down the window while looking at my side view mirror and giving him a wtf is your problem look. The guy probably didn’t realized how mad I got that he just slowly moved to the next lane and passed me from there.

One more thing, a friend was also in a situation like yours and to make a long story short, he was also with his girlfriend and wanted to act all tough and got his ass kicked for pulling over and confronting the guys. I’m not saying that you were trying to show off, but like MsM says, evaluate the situation and avoid any confrontations especially if its you against three guys.

And lastly, about going first for the toughest guy, I would say that go for the guy who is sitting quietly on the sideline because those are the ones who strike without you even noticing.

There is also this funny video of a hillbilly dad and son chasing a BMW and then the guy in the BMW pulls over, takes out a gun, takes the keys from the truck that is chasing him and makes them walk all the way back. I’ll see if I can find it…

You have to carry a firearm anymore. Violence is accelerating daily. Having a small handgun in your possession, being licensed and trained how to use it, is one of the very best investments you will ever make.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
You have to carry a firearm anymore. Violence is accelerating daily. Having a small handgun in your possession, being licensed and trained how to use it, is one of the very best investments you will ever make.

[/quote]

Agreed. With emphasis on being licensed and trained how to use it.

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
You phucked up bigtime.

You allowed your emotions to feed and take over.

You ALWAYS protect those around you that are weak - your woman in this instance. Your ego could have got her raped and killed.

ONLY if you are alone or with other people who can take responsibility for themselves can you consider the luxury of retaliating.

If your woman thinks less of you for looking out for her best interests then she’s not worth being with in the first place.[/quote]

I agree with this. Don’t bring others into worse situations, even if your in a bad situation already. I realize you may not of thought about it at the time, but if you really love your girlfriend would you be able to live (if you did live) with yourself if something like that happened?

I liked the post and the way you responded. I know this won’t play out the same way everytime but there are limiations to how much someone can jepordize your livelihood/saftey.

They are equally as lucky you didn’t have a weapon.

In Texas and we can carry weapons (pistols) with a liscence and really without one if you are doing everything properly.

I just wonder, if he was in the left lane, why didn’t you just suddenly cut down the next exit? or slow down so he flew past and then just stay away from him?

I see alot of bullshit here…

Everyone is talking about how stupid it was, how he should’ve avoided it, how you should never engage in violence except if you’re really in danger (in that situation you’re usually gonna get fucked up even if you defend yourself).

Usually the people who say that are the same people who don’t do shit in the same situation.

You did the right thing. Those kind of assholes need to get their ass beaten more often…

Try hitting… oh wait.

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
You phucked up bigtime.

You allowed your emotions to feed and take over.

You ALWAYS protect those around you that are weak - your woman in this instance. Your ego could have got her raped and killed.

ONLY if you are alone or with other people who can take responsibility for themselves can you consider the luxury of retaliating.

If your woman thinks less of you for looking out for her best interests then she’s not worth being with in the first place.[/quote]

His girl was not in any danger. Most people aren’t looking to rape women whenever they go out. Realistically, the worst thing that could have happened is he might have gotten beaten a bit. Let’s not assume the worst of every situation, shall we? I still use an umbrella in a rainstorm.

Thanks for all the answers everyone, I love seeing different opinions on this.

About my girlfriend beeing in danger… she was in the car with locked doors, she knows how to drive… She did pull off at the end but if they had threatened her it would have gone to the next level. I kind of froze and didn’t exactly fight well but if someone like my girlfriend was in danger it would have been a whole different fight…

Blaze_108: Very good question, when it happened I was concentrating most of my attention on their car because I expected them to steer onto me at any moment. I didn’t really think about looking for an exit. Would of been a very good solution though.

Alteredstate: I agree, I won’t do it again. It’s hard to explain but I really felt it was inevitable as stupid as that sounds to you guys.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
You did the right thing. Those kind of assholes need to get their ass beaten more often…[/quote]

No. There’s very little to gain or “teach” when those assholes outnumber you three to one.

If the OP wasn’t in Canada, this story ends badly.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Agreed. With emphasis on being licensed and trained how to use it.[/quote]

Depending if it is legal to first own a gun in the state that he lives in, second carry and transport it in a vehicle.

I hope you apologized to your girl for about a month for scaring her like that, and thanked her for doing the smart thing in getting your ass out of there before you really screwed up and went after the other two guys.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
you want a medal or a lecture?
You were dumb, got lucky.
[/quote]

exactly

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
I see alot of bullshit here…

Everyone is talking about how stupid it was, how he should’ve avoided it, how you should never engage in violence except if you’re really in danger (in that situation you’re usually gonna get fucked up even if you defend yourself).

Usually the people who say that are the same people who don’t do shit in the same situation.

You did the right thing. Those kind of assholes need to get their ass beaten more often…[/quote]

You’re wrong, he exacerbated and helped to create the situation.