Self Defense = Fired ?

What are your thoughts on this…

original story

"A Texas gas station clerk who shot a man who first punched him in the face has lost his job, the store?s owner said.

Police said the Houston-area Valero station clerk was acting in self-defense when 21-year-old Alexander Calloway and two companions tried to enter the store after hours at 3:30 a.m., KHOU-TV reported. Surveillance video released Tuesday by store owner George Hlaiheo shows Calloway first punching the clerk in the face before the clerk pulls out a gun and opens fire.

Calloway?s companions rushed him to a nearby fire station, after which he was transported to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition, the station reported.

Community members have rallied in front of the store and called for the clerk?s arrest, but Hlaiheo said he stands by his employee?s right to defend himself ? except that he no longer works there.

?For the sake of the community, we feel very strongly that he won?t be coming back to work,? Hlaiheo said.

According to KHOU, the same clerk was shot in the leg during a hold-up last year, potentially explaining his armed response."

It isnt right, but i can understand the owner firing the clerk, business comes first.

I am much more concerned with the community calling for the employees arrest. I will never understand Shit heads who think it is wrong to defend yourself.

They entered a store After Hours? That is called something else…hmmmm can’t think of it right now…

[quote]four60 wrote:
They entered a store After Hours? That is called something else…hmmmm can’t think of it right now…[/quote]

B&E? Wait no, that’s bacon and eggs, right?

I can see the angle where the store’s owner fired the guy. Nothing good would have come from the employee’s continued employment at this place. As we saw, there was already, while not outright identified as such, a retalatory shooting.

I don’t think the employee was wrong for his response to the threat as he had been shot in the leg during a robbery at the same location. Not to mention he had been verbally threatened by the young man who assaulted him.

I think the clerk’s one mistake was unlocking and opening the doors in the first place rather than calling the police initially and then just cooling his heels until they arrived. I think that would be the appropriate initial response to the situation. There really was no need to engage the group of men outside the store while the store was closed. If anything, this could be why the clerk was terminated.

Agree with Polo.

That being said, Calloway hits like a bitch.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

I think the clerk’s one mistake was unlocking and opening the doors in the first place rather than calling the police initially and then just cooling his heels until they arrived. I think that would be the appropriate initial response to the situation. There really was no need to engage the group of men outside the store while the store was closed. If anything, this could be why the clerk was terminated.[/quote]

I agree… it was not a smart move. He could have gotten on the intercom and warned them to leave or the police would be on the way.

Every gas station has an intercom – it’s probably mainly used to tell people to not fill up their nissan with diesel BUT it’s still there and can be used in such a situation easily.

I also don’t know why he would still work at a gas station after being shot in the leg… fuck that. You don’t even get paid much above minimum wage and have to deal with every nut job in town.

I worked at a gas station for 2 years and I wish I hadn’t. It so wasn’t worth it. People tried to get in after hours all the time.

What is this site?! Probably the best news stories of the year…

Now wheres that video of Chris Rock highlighting certain members of the black community who are not black people?

Seems fitting to this bitch slap extraordinaire and his legions of fine followers.

[quote]Hell-Billy wrote:
It isnt right, but i can understand the owner firing the clerk, business comes first.

I am much more concerned with the community calling for the employees arrest. I will never understand Shit heads who think it is wrong to defend yourself.[/quote]

Dont believe everything you hear in the media.

I live in Houston and this is the first I have heard of this.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I live in Houston and this is the first I have heard of this. [/quote]

That’s because you go to bed before the news comes on. That second link is from the Houston Chronicle newspaper, and I saw it on the news this week.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Hell-Billy wrote:

I am much more concerned with the community calling for the employees arrest. I will never understand Shit heads who think it is wrong to defend yourself.[/quote]

I believe that says more about you than it does about the media.

:-)[/quote]

True.

And also true Doogie, I need to stop watching NFL access in the evening when I get home.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
They entered a store After Hours? That is called something else…hmmmm can’t think of it right now…[/quote]

B&E? Wait no, that’s bacon and eggs, right?[/quote]

If they were sunny side up with dippy yolk I’d shoot the bajeezus out of someone for them. When I wake up hungry I’m pretty grumpy.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Hell-Billy wrote:

True.

And also true Doogie, I need to stop watching NFL access in the evening when I get home.
[/quote]

Honestly, D, I’d much rather watch NFL Access/ESPN than the news … bunch of fear mongering and celebrity gossip … I haven’t really heard any real news on tv in quite some time … but then again I watch ESPN and NFL 32 all the time so…

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Hell-Billy wrote:

True.

[/quote]

Honestly, D, I’d much rather watch NFL Access/ESPN than the news … bunch of fear mongering and celebrity gossip … I haven’t really heard any real news on tv in quite some time …[/quote]

Me either, Polo.

Ignorance IS bliss. And, i’m ok with that.

I think any act of aggression as potentially dangerous as a sucker punch to the jaw warrents the use of force and reasonable belief that ones life and well being are in jeopardy. What if that punch had taken the clerk down?would it have stopped there or would he get kicked in the head or robbed or beaten. yes it is a real shame a life was lost, it is also a shame that a man decided that was how he was going to conduct himself (attacking a clerk) in a democracy.

I kinda chuckle and think of the Forest Bonderant quote from lawless “its not the violence that sets a man apart, it is the distance he is willing to go.”

seems like this guy messed with the wrong bull and got the horns