T Nation

Self-Acceptance vs. Personal Growth

Hey guys, I just read this article I thought was extremely interesting and was a really important thing for ME to read (the whole thing).

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/self-acceptance-vs-personal-growth/

It’s by Steve Pavlina, some of you may have been to this guys site, not really a T-man per-se but seems to have his head together. Have fun.

[quote]SteelcuT wrote:
Hey guys, I just read this article I thought was extremely interesting and was a really important thing for ME to read (the whole thing).

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/self-acceptance-vs-personal-growth/

It’s by Steve Pavlina, some of you may have been to this guys site, not really a T-man per-se but seems to have his head together. Have fun.[/quote]

Oh shit…

I was wondering when someone was going to plug this guy here.

Join his Million Dollar Experiment… I did. The power of “intention” comes from a book called “The Secret”.
I still watch it from time to time. Not that I’m a new-age believer or anything, but it’s very interesting and keeps me in good spirits when I feel down.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Oh shit…

I was wondering when someone was going to plug this guy here.

Join his Million Dollar Experiment… I did. The power of “intention” comes from a book called “The Secret”.
I still watch it from time to time. Not that I’m a new-age believer or anything, but it’s very interesting and keeps me in good spirits when I feel down.
[/quote]

The problem with The Secret is that it warps the intention manifestation method (which was really ‘presented’ or popularized by Napoleon Hill) into a cross between delusional greed and mysticism, which is never what was intended.

It’s also effectively a marketing gimmick, trying to make something ‘special’ out of it and failing to explain what many people who’ve discussed the intention manifestation recognize: it’s essentially a way of talking people into focusing.

The problem with Steve Pavlina is that he says he makes $30g a month off his blog (yeah, maybe if you divide it by 3) and he has a fat wife who’s convinced she’s a psychic who can talk to dead people or see into the future or some crazy shit.

It’s more of an existential paradox than paradigm.

You can accept yourself and continue to strive to be better. I have, and if I can, anybody can.

It’s no real secret either.