T Nation

Selecting the Right Physician

Gentlemen,
After a lot of research I think that I am going to proceed with TRT therapy. I have spent weeks reading forums, articles and books and it looks like I would be a prime candidate (if there is such a thing) for TRT. I am showing sign of about 80% of the symptom’s for low testosterone. I’m not going to ask the old “what do I need to do first.” I have narrowed down my next step to three options, Endocrinologists, Urologist (same Dr that I used for my vasectomy) and Anti Aging Clinic in my area that all claim to address TRT.
I know one of the biggest problems that men run into when they want to start TRT is, which type of doctor they should go to first or going to a Dr that knows nothing/very little about the condition. I looked and I have an Endocrinologists, Urologist (same Dr that I used for my vasectomy) and Anti-Aging Clinic in my area that all claim to address TRT (or at least they say they do).
If I am able to find a good physician that prescribes TRT, I would like to go with the shot versus Androgel option. I have heard a lot of bad things, or atleast not very positive, reviews of Androgel. Also, the shot looks like it is a lot cheaper option. A most physicians that you have come across dead set on prescribing one type of treatment or are they usually flexible?

Most of them are horrible and the most “qualified” are typically the worst. You can read the stickies suggested and may end up knowing more than the three combined.

Unless old[er] and age related low-T can be assumed, you need to test LH/FSH before any TRT is started to know/diagnose if the problem is in your testes or from low pituitary output. And if younger, is testicular cancer involved [not rare] or a pituitary adinoma [not rare]. Many docs have none of this on their radar. An age management doc will try to optimize all aspects of your hormonal heath if he/she is good.

Note that many/most guys who come here have some thyroid function problems, see last paragraph in this post.

We really need to know more about you to help as some things are very age specific.

It seems to be rare that one can have a good outcome being passive about your hormone healthcare. So finding a doc is only part of what you need to do.

There is a sticky for finding a TRT doc too.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.