Seitan - Anyone Eating It?

I work at a kind of health food store, and yesterday I noticed the nutritional information on Seitan. It is made from wheat gluten, I guess you could call it the vegetarian subsititute for tofu. Here is the info:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 85 g
Servings per container 2.5

Amount per Serving

Calories 140

Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1g 2%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 440mg 18%

Total Carbohydrates 3g 1%

Fiber 1g 4%

Sugars 0g

Protein 31g

Calcium 0%

Iron 4%

Lots of Protein, not much fat. Anyone eat it regularly? Anything bad about it, like with tofu?

I don’t eat “Seitan”, but I do eat wheat gluten, which seitan is made of. The stuff is dirt cheap, and doesn’t taste too bad.

What I’ve been doing is cooking beans, and making kind of like bean/wheat gluten “brownies”. The beans complete the protein in the wheat gluten, and provide fiber. The result is a dense, chewy brownie/protein bar that has beans in it. I haven’t perfected the process, but I’m working on it.

I’ve mixed wheat gluten and water, and baked and fried it. After you mix it with water it has a chewing gum consistancy. Frying it in oil tastes pretty good, but the stuff usually doesn’t have much taste.

got_beer?

I love to eat seitan sometimes with some tomatoe sauce and spices. I know its a vegetarian thing so some people will tell you a big list of negative effects…but it changes the routine of always eating meat and it contains a lot of protein.

That’s only my personnal opinion :slight_smile:

Seitan? Tofu? Hell no, but I did just put down a steak for lunch. Maybe you can wear a tutu when you eat your tofu!!

Seitan Green is PEOPLE… PEOPLE!!!

I hate to sound like a tree hugger on these forums, but I eat Seitan regularly. It’s especially good if you need to temporarily cut down on fat and calories. I usually have it if I’ve had enough of animal products (sick of chicken breasts, hamburger patties, eggs, etc…)…I’ll eat only vegetables and seitan for a couple of weeks in order to “detox” from all the animal products, which also slims me down a bit. I’m allergic to soy, and the brand I buy has no soy in it. I make it into a thai curry stew with low fat coconut milk and vegetables; or sray with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with seasoned salt and bake until the outside is crisp and eat it instead of beef jerky.

C’Mon now. Seitan is a wheat-based product. While it is true that the protein in it is inferior to that of meat, it is still a great addition to any diet. Especially for those with higher cholesterol who have to limit red meat. As far as soy contamination, you can just make your own. It is dirt cheap too. Just go to a bulk store and buy the High gluten wheat and get a recipe on the internet.

-Fireplug

Seitan looks like bizarro meatballs.

you can grind up some fennel, fresh garlic and a dash of paprika and mix with your Seitan, fry it up in some olive oil for 30 seconds or so… and then put it in some lasagna… you’d swear it was italian sausage!

I’d still rather have the real thing though.

[quote]frisbee wrote:
… I guess you could call it the vegetarian subsititute for tofu. [/quote]

Vegetarian substitute for tofu? I thought tofu was a vegetarian substitute for meat.

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
Seitan Green is PEOPLE… PEOPLE!!![/quote]

Hahahahahah. The ultimate complete protein source.

I always thought Seitan was a soy product like tofu.
Does it have any estrogenic effects?
Also is seitan a complete protien?

I have it once in a while, for the quebecers the commensal thai seitan is delicious, there is 0 soy in that product also. It’s good for a little change.

I’ve seen alot of food products which state on the label, contains no gluten, as if gluten was a bad product, as seitan is made out of gluten is it ok to eat?

Yes its OK as long as you are not allergic to gluten. That is why all the Gluten free schtuff.

[quote]got_beer? wrote:
I don’t eat “Seitan”, but I do eat wheat gluten, which seitan is made of. The stuff is dirt cheap, and doesn’t taste too bad.

What I’ve been doing is cooking beans, and making kind of like bean/wheat gluten “brownies”. The beans complete the protein in the wheat gluten, and provide fiber. The result is a dense, chewy brownie/protein bar that has beans in it. I haven’t perfected the process, but I’m working on it.

I’ve mixed wheat gluten and water, and baked and fried it. After you mix it with water it has a chewing gum consistancy. Frying it in oil tastes pretty good, but the stuff usually doesn’t have much taste.

got_beer?[/quote]

What ratio of beans to gluten do you need to have an even amount of complete protein?

[quote]dond1esel wrote:

What ratio of beans to gluten do you need to have an even amount of complete protein?[/quote]

I don’t know if there is a specific ratio. I guess to establish a ratio you’d have to find the amino acids that one is lacking and try to make up for it with the other one…but I just mixed 1 bag of beans with 3 cups of wheat gluten.

Honestly, I dont think it matters if you consume 200 grams of protein/day.

[quote]jay711 wrote:
I’ve seen alot of food products which state on the label, contains no gluten, as if gluten was a bad product, as seitan is made out of gluten is it ok to eat?[/quote]

There is a disease-“Celiac’s disease”-where people have an intolerance to gluten, which is found in wheat, just about all grains, and even oats. The products announcing “gluten free” are trying to catch their attention. If you have never had a problem with anything made from wheat, no worries.

I prefer babies.

They’re the veal of the species.

Anyone know where I can get this stuff from in the UK, I’ve tried everywhere but can’t seem to find it. I mean an actual store, not online.

I hope none of you are cealic sensitive. You’ll sure find out in hurry taking this stuff.