Seeking DOMS?

Short of doing 16 STRAIGHT SETS to failure for a single body part, I can not get DOMS, except mildly in my quads sometimes.

For back, I think it is literally impossible for me to get DOMS in my back - i’ve NEVER had it, i think i’d have to do 25+ sets to get it

I feel that whenever I DO get it, I feel like im growing. But I have read many times that it is not necassery for growth.

Would it be wise to seek DOMS every time I train?

I suppose i’ll try this for 2 weeks and see what happens.

What do you guys think? Do any of you rarely get DOMS?

I think it would probably be wiser to seek progression in weight each session!

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Short of doing 16 STRAIGHT SETS to failure for a single body part, I can not get DOMS, except mildly in my quads sometimes.

For back, I think it is literally impossible for me to get DOMS in my back - i’ve NEVER had it, i think i’d have to do 25+ sets to get it

I feel that whenever I DO get it, I feel like im growing. But I have read many times that it is not necassery for growth.

[/quote]

I always get it in my legs and lats. Everything else hardly gets sore at all anymore.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
I think it would probably be wiser to seek progression in weight each session![/quote]

Well I’m doing that anyway, 5/3/1 for bench/squat/deadlift/m.press.

I could be progressing faster adding in more volume though

I really only get DOMS when I change my training routine or add new movements to my split.

With that said, lately I’ve been getting DOMS 2 days after leg day. It’s a good feeling…

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Clown Face wrote:

I could be progressing faster adding in more volume though[/quote]

Once your acclimated to a program your not going to get DOMS too often. Specially if your using low rep strength training. Unless you are doing above max weight eccentrics.

This is usually why after a cycle or two of low rep training some people tend to do a hypertrophy higher rep routine for a few weeks.

Why would you WANT to get DOMS? Its like an unpleasent side effect of lifting. Think results, not pain.

I only get DOMS when I change my routine, and that’s only if I do exercises that I haven’t done in a while or ever done.

You aren’t getting DOMS in your back because you are too small. You don’t have a mind-muscle connection with your back muscles and you don’t work on your back exercises enough.

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
You aren’t getting DOMS in your back because you are too small. You don’t have a mind-muscle connection with your back muscles and you don’t work on your back exercises enough. [/quote]

You sir, are an idiot.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Clown Face wrote:

I could be progressing faster adding in more volume though[/quote]

You could?..but then you also might not?

Why would you change you “lowely” program…that you are progressing on for something that might work better.

You have found something that helps you progress well on…maybe this has stalled slightly…so you should change the exercises.

Maybe when the “method” stopsworking should you change…or your lifestyle changes.

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
You aren’t getting DOMS in your back because you are too small. You don’t have a mind-muscle connection with your back muscles and you don’t work on your back exercises enough. [/quote]

LOL.

I get really sore no matter what. Even on reps as low as 2-3, despite following that protocol for a month and a half. Everyone is different I guess.

For example, my DOMS is so easily triggered, I could do 2 warmup sets of 5 reps with 60% 1RM of a Romanian Deadlift, and be sore 4-5 days later. It actually really hampers my training because I’m constantly crippled from previous sessions.

It’s not as cool as you think, trust me.

[quote]Player wrote:
Why would you WANT to get DOMS? Its like an unpleasent side effect of lifting. Think results, not pain.[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t especially like the feeling of not being able to get off the fucking toilet. Not to mention training is pretty much impossible when you can’t even move.

That said, has anyone else ever had DOMS-induced mania? Sometimes I find it so funny that I’m hobbling around like an old man that I start laughing hysterically. It hurts.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[/quote]

are you making progress towards your goals. that is all you need to focus on.

I hardly get DOMS anymore either. That doesn’t mean I’m not getting bigger and stronger. Just lift more. Who cares about DOMS?

progression is the thing that counts no doubt…but for some of us progress comes at a snails pace and I personally have to adjust my set-rep scheme frequently and add/lower volume and frequency before i can see any load in a certain rep rage/reps for a certain load progress - and sometime sI have to add auxiliary movements and progress on those before i can see progress i a main movement, if that makes any sense. progress is never linear froms ession to session unless youre just starting out and I feel DOMS and pump CAN be useful tools as long as you don;t judge the effectoveness of a workout entirely by the presence/absence of that.

I mainly use DOMS (when/if I get it) as an indicator that the movement I chose recruited the right muscles especially when its a muscle that i can;t see directly and have a poorer mind muscle connection with (compared to say, biceps), I like to see some DOMS the day after I train back , especially after rotating a new movement in that i feel will hit that group better. Of course, there are bodyparts I never get any DOMS in no matter what and in that case, I have other ways to figure out of I;m moving or not (when progress is super-slow like in a movement ive been using for a while)
Its very touch and feel and trial and error honestly. No black and white answer here.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Player wrote:
Why would you WANT to get DOMS? Its like an unpleasent side effect of lifting. Think results, not pain.

Yeah, I don’t especially like the feeling of not being able to get off the fucking toilet. Not to mention training is pretty much impossible when you can’t even move.

That said, has anyone else ever had DOMS-induced mania? Sometimes I find it so funny that I’m hobbling around like an old man that I start laughing hysterically. It hurts.[/quote]

I wouldn’t really consider DOMS as pain, it is a good feeling. Lets you be in tune with your muscles and you feel like you are heading in the right direction.

Anyway, I was just curious. I’m still going to do some high volume for 2 weeks and see that how it affects my lifts.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
Player wrote:

That said, has anyone else ever had DOMS-induced mania? Sometimes I find it so funny that I’m hobbling around like an old man that I start laughing hysterically. It hurts.

I wouldn’t really consider DOMS as pain, it is a good feeling. Lets you be in tune with your muscles and you feel like you are heading in the right direction.

Anyway, I was just curious. I’m still going to do some high volume for 2 weeks and see that how it affects my lifts.[/quote]

It’s more weakness/sensitivity than pain, certainly. That’s what the problem is. If I do deads on Monday, then can’t walk right for three days, I lose valuable training time. It’s terribly inconveniencing. Granted, this matters less when you’re on a standard BBing split, but I’d still rather do without.

Don’t sweat it mate. Your just one of the “lucky” few who don’t get DOMS.

I had a 6 month break from lifting, after my first session starting again i had INSANE doms, after that, nothing.

Now i picked up swimming as cardio, and here we go, the DOMS is back.