T Nation

Secrets to Getting in Many More Calories?

Im doing CW’s 10/10, and have been getting good progress, but my increases in BW have slowed to a halt. I have a hard time adding weight, but am thinking of ways to increase my calories enough to get to my target weight.

I started this bulk phase at around 189, and am currently about 192, but would like to be 195 at the end of next week.

I dont count calories but know I should be in the 4000-5000 calorie range, and instead I focus on nutrient timing, and eating as much as I can, as often as possilbe.

So in raising calories, Ive started by adding a good amount of carbs for breakfast.

To do this, ive added a pre-breakfast shake, of 30g Protein + 50-60g of carbs (mainly fruit or maltodextrin).

Then I have my normal breakfast which is an omlette with eggs, peppers, spinach, onions, ham, and cheese.

Also, I take in a good amount of carbs, Pre and Post workout with my shakes.

Other than that, I keep carbs a bit lower the rest of the time, and focus on protein and fat for each meal.

I think fat may be the key for me getting the amount of calories im trying to get in, but am not so sure as to how to approach this.

I READ SOMEWHERE ON HERE WHERE A COACH RECOMENDED INDIVIDUALS SIPPING ON OLIVE OIL THROUGHOUT THE DAY. HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS? IF SO, HOW DID IT WORK OUT?

Also, natural peanut butter, and cottage cheese mixed seem to work well, and I can take in a lot of calories in the form of cheese, but im not sure how good this is.

Anyone else have any secrets?

Milk is a super quick and cheap way to add easy calories. Olive oil as you mentioned is another. I personally hate the taste so I stopped doing it, just personal preference. Natural peanut butter is good, as is almond butter.

[quote]dankid wrote:

I dont count calories but know I should be in the 4000-5000 calorie range, and instead I focus on nutrient timing, and eating as much as I can, as often as possilbe.
[/quote]

Come back to us after you start counting calories. If you’re not counting, you have no idea how many you’re getting.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
dankid wrote:

Come back to us after you start counting calories. If you’re not counting, you have no idea how many you’re getting.
[/quote]

Yup. You can have a rough estimate, but sometimes that estimate can be way off.

Hell, I thought I ate a lot for years (ate every 3 hrs), but it was probably only around 3,000 calories/day at most.

Smoothie shakes with protein powder have really helped me.

PB, nuts, olive oil, all mix well in shakes as well.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
wirewound wrote:
dankid wrote:

Yup. You can have a rough estimate, but sometimes that estimate can be way off.

Hell, I thought I ate a lot for years (ate every 3 hrs), but it was probably only around 3,000 calories/day at most.

Smoothie shakes with protein powder have really helped me.

PB, nuts, olive oil, all mix well in shakes as well.

[/quote]

I think he may need to do more than that. He wants to gain weight but is doing a program that is designed to keep you at the same starting weight when you finish it. I’m thinking he is trying to chase the two rabbits and doesn’t see that.

[quote]Arioch wrote:

I think he may need to do more than that. He wants to gain weight but is doing a program that is designed to keep you at the same starting weight when you finish it. I’m thinking he is trying to chase the two rabbits and doesn’t see that.
[/quote]

I see what your saying there, and I should have clarified that im not trying to do a major bulk. Im trying to reach the +5lbs I need to do in my building phase.

My only problem with reacing this increase through carbs, is that when I increase my carbs, it seems that my weight varies much more on a daily basis. Im thinking this is due to extra water rentention, and dont want this… If I reach my goal of 195 but the extra weight is water, then when I switch to cutting this weight will be lost instantly.

So im thinking of trying the olive oil method, but am not sure if I can handle the taste either. Im thinking of mixing some crystal light and olive oil in a water bottle, and sipping on that throughout the day.

I’ll never these “how do I get more calorie” questions.

A cup of pecans is 800 calories, deliciious, no carbs, takes all of about 2 minutes to eat, and does not fill up in the least bit. Do this 2-3 times a day and thats 1600-2400 calories effortlessly.

Now why the hell would you drink olive oil? Pour 1/4c onto a bunch of veggies and eat them. Theres 450 calories.

Ya, nuts are pretty badass for getting in the cals. Drinking eggs is a godsend as well.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Arioch wrote:

I see what your saying there, and I should have clarified that im not trying to do a major bulk. Im trying to reach the +5lbs I need to do in my building phase.

My only problem with reacing this increase through carbs, is that when I increase my carbs, it seems that my weight varies much more on a daily basis. Im thinking this is due to extra water rentention, and dont want this… If I reach my goal of 195 but the extra weight is water, then when I switch to cutting this weight will be lost instantly.

So im thinking of trying the olive oil method, but am not sure if I can handle the taste either. Im thinking of mixing some crystal light and olive oil in a water bottle, and sipping on that throughout the day.[/quote]

If you are just going to hit the weight of 195 and start to cut, you aren’t going to get any benefit from what you are thinking of doing. You would be better off planning to hit 200 in the next several weeks, maintain for a month and then start a slow cut. That way, you can figure out if you are gaining more fat than muscle and make adjustments. With those adjustments, you’ll be able to make sure you are gaining more muscle so that when you cut, you aren’t just dropping weight but dropping fat.

I would just follow the program and not worry about your scale weight too much. I mean, my scale weight varies 2lbs depending on what I take a dump, so it’s not that important over the short term. Stick with the 2 weeks per phase and see how it works out in the end.

You guys really love Shugart’s 2 rabbits analogy huh?

As for your calories, eat nuts and nut butters. Also, use Fitday or some log for a week or so. 5000 calories is more than enough for most non-athletes at your weight, you’re probably not getting that much.

Thanks for the info guys, I do eat a good amount of almonds; about two handfuls per day, with raisins. And I went through two small jars of natural peanut butter in the past week and a half.

Recently I started eating cottage cheese, and today I found that it with peanut butter, olive oil, a bit of milk, and some casein is pretty good. Not sure how many calories this snack is, but its gotta be at least 600-800 or more.

Thanks again for the info.