Secondary Hypogonadism

I was diagnosed with Secondary Hypogonadism 4 years ago I am 29 now. I was placed on 150mg of test every two weeks and felt great from that no E2 issues or anything else. I was on that protocol for a year and a half. Then we wanted to have a baby so I started Anastrozole 1mg/day to help with fertility and let me tell you it worked my Tt was 750 free was 183 and LH and FSH were in the 9.0 and of course E was 22.

I felt great for a while then my libido crashed my joints were achy for a couple months but it went away as time went on. (Did have a child during this) I recently tried to taper off of Adex to see if my goods would produce without a crash. I went from 1mg a day to 1mg EOD for a month and that seemed good then it was .5 EOD that seemed good then .25 E3d and thats when I started noticing the crash coming as far as Morning Wood, Anxiety and I was being Bitchy, then I completely went off after a 3 month taper.

After two weeks of no drugs my memory got bad no morning wood unless I had to pee and I was an emotional wreck. Currently I am on 200mg/wk of Test Cypionate and feeling great now. Need advice on what route to take for long term. Preferably I would like to be on nothing. I have done some damage to my body as a Teen doing meth, pain pills, xanax, marijuana most on a weekly basis. So a restart would be awesome if possible. Any advice you guys have would be awesome.

Looks to me like your E2 went too low. 1mg/ day of Anastrozole is a HUGE dose, how long after you started taking it did you test your E2 and it came back as 22?

The proof lies in that during this time you felt great, and then you started experiencing the joint pains and dryness, textbook symptoms of low estradiol.

You should’ve keep controlling your E2 levels during your treatment, to avoid crashing.

How long have you been on the 200mg of Test? Seems like the extra estrogen from the aromatising of test has returned the balance to your T-E ratio.

As far as long-term goes, TRT is usually for life. You can try a restart with Clomid/Nolvadex and test T, LH and FSH to see if you’re actually primary or secondary (how were you diagnosed?), and go from there. From what I’ve read, these restarts are usually not permanent, but it wouldn’t harm you to try.

KSman recommends Nolvadex over Clomid (generics tamoxifen and clomiphene, respectively), because of less estrogen-related sides, and that’s my advice, too.

It is known that opiates can wreck your HPTA if abused long-term, I hope more knowledgeable members can chime in on this one.

You might be slightly estrogen-dominant, so keep an eye on E2 during your restart, SERMs don’t actually reduce estrogen, they just have more affinity for certain tissues (mammary, for example, that’s why they’re called selective) and compete with estrogen for the binding. Therefore serum E2 levels will actually increase while on.

If you go the Tamoxifen route, 20mg ED for 4 weeks should be good. Be sure to taper off slowly to avoid rebound. I’ve found it unnecessary to taper off Arimidex (just stop it for a week if you want it to clear your system), not so with SERMs.

I hope you find the info useful.

Thank you for the info. I would have stayed on the adex longer but I dont want premature osteoporosis which it can cause. The adex was used for fertility that is why 1mg a day was used. Basically I would like to know the best way to keep fertility while me and my wife are in our BABY MAKING YEARS!! :.)

I was on adex 1mg/day solo for two months. and Estradiol was 28

On a side note Arimidex does work for me to recover the HPTA until I come off. I was diagnosed Secondary because of drug abuse mainly. I went through puberty when I was supposed to. Voice craking and all. I have been on 200mg a week for almost a month now. Coming off adex for 1 year. I still have a script for adex if I need it

[quote]pcain420 wrote:
Thank you for the info. I would have stayed on the adex longer but I dont want premature osteoporosis which it can cause. The adex was used for fertility that is why 1mg a day was used. Basically I would like to know the best way to keep fertility while me and my wife are in our BABY MAKING YEARS!! :.)

I was on adex 1mg/day solo for two months. and Estradiol was 28

On a side note Arimidex does work for me to recover the HPTA until I come off. I was diagnosed Secondary because of drug abuse mainly. I went through puberty when I was supposed to. Voice craking and all. I have been on 200mg a week for almost a month now. Coming off adex for 1 year. I still have a script for adex if I need it [/quote]

If your E2 was 28 pg/ml (above optimal) from 1mg/day Arimidex, you are REALLY estrogen dominant. The nasty sides of Arimidex (osteo, joint problems, cholesterol) only happen if your estrogen is too low. If you think about it, those are the symptoms that mostly affect women after menopause!

So it’s not the Arimidex causing that, in a way, it’s a byproduct of low Estrogens.

Aromatase inhibitors aren’t used to restart or recover the HPTA, what did you feel that makes you say that? I’m curious about this.

I’m doubting you are secondary now, it seems like it was more like a generic statement, did they test FSH and LH before you started with TRT? These are more solid indicators of HPTA function. If you weren’t tested, no point in testing during TRT, for they will be next to zero. Are you sure they came at 9?

For fertility, you’d be better off using Clomid than huge doses of Anastrozole, is my take. You could try a proper restart with clomiphene, using the Arimidex to manage E2, which seems to be a huge problem in your case. You should aim for 20-22 pg/ml or even a bit more/less, depending on your joint pain and general sense of well-being.

You should find a thread about maintaining fertility during TRT around these parts. Good luck!

Edit: If you want to restart, you’ll have to discontinue testosterone therapy. Also, if you haven’t been taking hcg to maintain testicular function and size, speak to your doctor about that ASAP.

Adex has been studied as a standalone treatment for Hypogonadism because of the inhibition of estrogen. The Brain gets signals there is not enough estrogen then it produces more LH and FSH. But in the long run I felt good energy wise just no libido or any desire for sex thats why I dont like it. Thanks for your comments. The downside is bone mineral density loss

I am working with a Dr to get HCG

Studies on adex

I didn’t know that. I’m gonna check those studies out.

Come on guys can someone else give some input